Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of death penalty for drugs?

• 04-07-2012 8:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

I believe in the death penalty for repeat and serial re-offenders. Mandatory death-sentencing will quash gender-biased incarceration and and execution, (the former being RAMPANT in Ireland) with women getting a slap on the wrist for the same crimes as men. On the other hand, a young man coerced into drug-trafficking will face imminent execution with the judges' hands tied with regard to their sentencing. So boardsies, what say ye of mandatory sentencing? Will it tighten things up or will it undermine the system? (I am also referring to mandatory minimum jail terms as well, not just mandatory execution). The system I am talking about is the system similar to that of Singapore.

If death penalty were reinstated, what method would you vote to be the primary method 56 votes

English Long Drop (Hanging) [Singapore, Japan]
    0% 0 votes
    Firing Squad [China, Cuba, Belarus]
    25% 14 votes
    Lethal Injection [USA and China for White Collar Crime]
    28% 16 votes
    Electrocution [Former USA method]
    37% 21 votes
    Decapitation [Saudi Arabia]
    1% 1 vote
    Gas Chamber [USA ??]
    7% 4 votes
    Dismemberment [In the good 'aul days]
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Goafer

I believe in death penalty for theft of property, murder and perjury, but for drug offences seems a little harsh.
    A 21 year old British citizen was sentenced to death today in the United Arab Emirates, the British embassy in Abu Dhabi said on Tuesday, after he and a Syrian national were convicted of selling drugs to an undercover policeman.

The English-language The National newspaper said that a court in Abu Dhabi today found the 21-year-old Briton and the 19-year-old Syrian man guilty of selling 20 grams of cannabis to the undercover policeman.

They both received the death penalty sentence and have the right to appeal under UAE laws.

"A British national is facing the death penalty in the United Arab Emirates," the British embassy's information office stated, without providing further details on the case.

"We will remain in close contact with the gentleman and his legal representation, and will continue to provide the appropriate consular assistance," they added.

In London, a spokesman for the Foreign Office said it had been in touch with UAE officials, but will not get involved in the country's judicial process.

Officials at the Syrian embassy were not available for comment and telephone calls to the prosecutor's office in Abu Dhabi were not answered.

There is zero tolerance for drug-related offences in the United Arab Emirates, a regional business hub and tourist destination, where millions of expatriates live and work, with severe penalties for drug trafficking and possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I don't agree with the death penalty for any reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭fkface

I support death penalty for child abusers

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

2 threads... really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Jaysis 20 grams - it just sounds like he was sorting the cop out with the makins, he wasn't fking shipping the stuff in by the tonne!

Bunch of spazzers over there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't fúck with China United Arab Emirates!

But seriously, we've been through it here before on this case last week. The gobshíte knew how severe the punishment is for drugs over there. He should of kept himself out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

fkface wrote: »
    I support death penalty for child abusers

I support hard labour for child abusers and other such crimes but not the death penalty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mandatory death sentances for multiple threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I don't agree with the death penalty.

xzanti wrote: »
    2 threads... really?

Feel free to merge

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Were you bullied by girls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I have no problem with hanging those who deal in drugs, none whatsoever, lets just hope this guy doesn't get let off because of his nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Goafer wrote: »
    Mandatory death-sentencing will quash gender-biased incarceration and and execution, (the former being RAMPANT in Ireland)

Eh, gender based execution is rampant in Ireland? Shít I would have protested against that if I knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I have no problem hanging somebody who wants hang people as a penalty. ****, I feel I may have made a rod for my own back. Ah well, the law is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I believe in death penalty for theft of property, murder and perjury, but for drug offences seems a little harsh.

theft of property and perjury are more often to be considered minor offences than drugs offences.

You should also add the death penalty for anyone with 6 penalty points, just to be consistent.

Rape and murder are the first two crimes that would be considered for the death penalty if it ever was brought back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭fkface

Splendour wrote: »
    I support hard labour for child abusers and other such crimes but not the death penalty.

But then you have to consider releasing those offenders back into society and take the chance of them re-offending.

Also, you could end up with situation in the US where the prison system is attractive investment for the rich which would inevitably push up the size and cost of prison population.

Better to just kill some of them off.

25k people die every day of starvation, few pedophiles dusted off isn't going to make a big difference.

Eh, gender based execution is rampant in Ireland? Shít I would have protested against that if I knew.

I said "the former", referring to gender-biased incarceration, not execution ya gobshyte :P

edit you're not really a gobshyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I have no great problem with the Death Penalty for murder. I probably wouldn't have a problem with it for rape either.

I would also have no problem with the death penalty for organised crime bosses, drugs barons etc.. (i.e. John Gilligan) whose actions create a ripple effect of destruction, terror and depression across society.

In this instance, the death penalty is more than harsh for the individual but at the same time I don't have much sympathy. The law is very clear in those countries and the punishment is even clearer. Knowing the risks and still pursuing a criminal course of action erases any sympathy I would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I think long sentences in state run institutions well known for turning a blind eye to same sex gang rape is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I believe in the death penalty for shíte threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

OP, what are your feelings on a person being executed and then later proven to be innocent?

Miscarriages of justice, evidence tampering, witnesses giving false evidence etc. - these happen frequently enough to be a consideration.

I think it would be better to overhaul the sentencing criteria - not incarcerating people for non-payment of fines and other minor offences, and imposing lenghtier sentences for more serious crimes. I also believe that a life sentence should mean exactly that.

Very non-pc, but paedophiles should also be chemically castrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I believe in the death penalty for shíte threads
    So it's a no to years of institutionalised man-rape then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I believe in the death penalty for repeat and serial re-offenders. Mandatory death-sentencing will quash gender-biased incarceration and and execution, (the former being RAMPANT in Ireland) with women getting a slap on the wrist for the same crimes as men. On the other hand, a young man coerced into drug-trafficking will face imminent execution with the judges' hands tied with regard to their sentencing. So boardsies, what say ye of mandatory sentencing? Will it tighten things up or will it undermine the system? (I am also referring to mandatory minimum jail terms as well, not just mandatory execution). The system I am talking about is the system similar to that of Singapore.

Were this brought in, house values in ballyfermot/dolphins barn/etc would crash!

Have some pity OP, prices have fallen enough already.

Miscarriages of justice, evidence tampering, witnesses giving false evidence etc.

Hence my punishment for perjury.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Were this brought in, house values in ballyfermot/dolphins barn/etc would crash!

How :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

OP, what are your feelings on a person being executed and then later proven to be innocent?

Miscarriages of justice, evidence tampering, witnesses giving false evidence etc. - these happen frequently enough to be a consideration.

I think it would be better to overhaul the sentencing criteria - not incarcerating people for non-payment of fines and other minor offences, and imposing lenghtier sentences for more serious crimes. I also believe that a life sentence should mean exactly that.

what are your feelings on a person being castrated and then later proven to be innocent?

Uriel. wrote: »

AGAIN, death penalty for perjury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mandatory death sentances for multiple threads!

...Miniture American flags for everyone else!

• Advertisement

AGAIN, death penalty for perjury

I am wondering why there is a difference of thought for that particular poster on the two issues.

You have made your feelings clear on perjury now three times. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

So Paedophiles are NEVER subject to the miscarraiges of justice, witness tampering, and false evidence that bothers you about other crimes?
    Bit hypocritical methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Death penalty for serial rapists, murdiddlyurderers, child molesters.

In my opinion, these people are beyond help, are fundamentally flawed and a burden on society.

A few should be kept and studied genetically and for profiling purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

SocSocPol wrote: »
    So Paedophiles are NEVER subject to the miscarraiges of justice, witness tampering, and false evidence that bothers you about other crimes?
    Bit hypocritical methinks
    Chemical castration is reversible.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    ...Miniture American flags for everyone else!

Ah sure with the day that's in it, let's give out the full sized flags! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

execution for rapists
    child abuse,molesters
    1st degree murders ( depending what they murdered the person for )

drugs ? no, if thats the case half of ireland would be executed

least their will be an increase in job vacancys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

nah paedophiles that have been unequivically proven to be paedophiles should have their dicks reduced to half an inch with the leftover bit of it stitched to their foreheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

"Civilised" society . . Hard thing to define . .

Is it civilised to allow a rapits, killer, paedo back onto the streets to potentially re-offend agains innocent people or to take their lives?

If somebody cannot clearly be re-habilitated should society purge itself of their burden or is this person just chemically imbalanced, a slave to their own makeup?

I dont know . . On one hand, if anything happened to friends/family, I would have no hesitation in saying "kill the bastards", but if it was a friend/family I might feel differantly.

Personally, I think repeat offenders are certainly ones I would have less empathy with and I dont believe the state (taxpayers) should be forced to fund the legal process to catch/convict and then continual incarcaration, over and over again.

People who are mental and will always be the way they are ?! Thats a tough one, on one hand can they control what they do ? On the other hand, what sort of life is it drugging (labotomy) a person and leaving them in a rubber room ? Which is more humane?

This ones a bit of a mindfield for me. Im not a bleeding heart liberal so I am not against the death penalty, but Im not decided on how exactly its used. I dont think it should be used so much as to scare people into not comitting crimes as it should be to serve the community (by keeping vicous dangerous people off the streets).

I think there should be the death penalty for Moral Bankrupcy in politics . . Imagine the great purge in the Dail ! ! ! we'd be left with nobody ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Are you posting from Saudi Arabia OP? :eek:

Are you posting from Saudi Arabia OP? :eek:

North Korea :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You do realise that drug dealers have a better life expectancy on death row than otu on the streets?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You do realise that drug dealers have a better life expectancy on death row than otu on the streets?

Really ? What is the average life expectancy of a drug dealer do you know off hand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭markw7

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

This is Ireland not Baltimore FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I'm with Richard Branson on this one. The most effective policies for dealing with drug abuse have been shown to be decriminalisation of drug use altogether. Put it in the context of healthcare, not justice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9031855/Its-time-to-end-the-failed-war-on-drugs.html

It would be best if law enforcement prioritised dealing with gangs mainly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Really ? What is the average life expectancy of a drug dealer do you know off hand ?

It wouldnt be an average if it was of one drug dealer now would it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can't fidn an exact source, but it's from "Frekonomics". The actual source of the study is in the book whcih I don;t have to hand.
    In 2003, Texas put to death twenty-four inmates—or just 5 percent of the nearly 500 inmates on its death row during that time. Which means that you stand a greater chance of dying while dealing crack in a Chicago housing project than you do while sitting on death row in Texas.
    markw7 wrote: »

Of course not - we don't have the death panalty but if we did...?

(Technically, Baltimore doesn't either - state executions have been suspended in the state of Maryland.)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Anyone who "gets caught" deserves it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You should immediately be made consume what you are caught with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

How :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Lots of junkies in these areas--->lots of executions---->lots of empty houses/flats
    >market oversupply---->price crash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

markw7 wrote: »

Seamus comin Yo

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭markw7

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Seamus comin Yo

Pandemic.....yert

• Advertisement
Advertisement