Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of death penalty for drugs?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm not really into murderous fascism so I'm going to go with my gut on this and say it's a patently idiotic idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Splendour wrote: »
    I support hard labour for child abusers and other such crimes but not the death penalty.

all jail time should be hard labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Two wrongs don't make a right - am vehemently opposed to it and don't think it achieves anything/doesn't in any way act as a deterrant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Merkin wrote: »
    Two wrongs don't make a right - am vehemently opposed to it and don't think it achieves anything/doesn't in any way act as a deterrant
    Of course its a deterrent, have you ever heard of somebody who was executed commiting a crime afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Goafer wrote: »
    I believe in the death penalty for repeat and serial re-offenders. Mandatory death-sentencing will quash gender-biased incarceration and and execution, (the former being RAMPANT in Ireland) with women getting a slap on the wrist for the same crimes as men. On the other hand, a young man coerced into drug-trafficking will face imminent execution with the judges' hands tied with regard to their sentencing. So boardsies, what say ye of mandatory sentencing? Will it tighten things up or will it undermine the system? (I am also referring to mandatory minimum jail terms as well, not just mandatory execution). The system I am talking about is the system similar to that of Singapore.

You are, of course, entitled to your beliefs, but it would also be a good idea for you to live in the real world, where we do not have the death penalty for anything. We did have in the past, and I can't see that it did much good. We are members of both the EU and the Council of Europe, and neither allow capital punishment. That won't change any time soon. End of.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

However, if the idea of the state killing (some, usually disadvantaged) people in fairly gruesome ways gets you off, then enjoy this video by the late great George Carlin.:):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Drugs should be legal, no excuses.

I don't believe in a death penalty - but I believe it should be life imprisonment (life means life) for damage to other persons or property. PRIVATE PRISONS, where convicts WORK to keep themselves incarcerated. If they don't want to work, fine - have I also told you how much I'm a fan of Euthanasia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Of course its a deterrent, have you ever heard of somebody who was executed commiting a crime afterwards!

Pretty sure it doesn't act as a deterrent cosidering the guys gets execute AFTER he's committed the crime...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Why should a drug dealer who ruins lives be entitled to a life ? Attended a public execution many years ago in Saudi ( beheading). What did impress me was how the offender accepted his fate and was helpful to the executioner by calmly undoing his buttons at his neck etc. it was done in public, a great deterrent but their explanation is, "Justice must not only be done, it must be seen to be done".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Dai John wrote: »
    Why should a drug dealer who ruins lives be entitled to a life ? Attended a public execution many years ago in Saudi ( beheading). What did impress me was how the offender accepted his fate and was helpful to the executioner by calmly undoing his buttons at his neck etc. it was done in public, a great deterrent but their explanation is, "Justice must not only be done, it must be seen to be done".

You have it completely the wrong way round.

Drug dealers don't ruin lives. The people that choose to consume what they understand to be dangerous substances are accepting whatever the consequences may be. Everyone has a responsibility first and foremost for themselves - if you're not going to look after yourself, then there's no point in blaming some guy selling a product that you have stupidly accepted to purchase.

If I seen a public execution, I'd most probably vomit right there and then...seems like you enjoyed it. Says a lot about your personality really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Hard labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

really really against this. Every person no matter what they did has some sort of reasoning behind anything they do.

There was a case resenctly enough (wont say names) where a man murdered a women he was having an affair with. Now while that is terrible and makes me sick it also has to be said that he thought that she was going to come out and tell everyone about it. He acted in self interested. He stood to loose his wife and kids. Now while i am not condoning anything and he done an truly terrible thing he still was in an horrible choice.
    It is easy for us to take the morral high ground when we were never faced with a chooice like that.

The death penalty is wrong. The prison system also needs to be rethought. The prison system only breeds more crimamals. Watched a documentry recently about the prison system in america (will have a look for it now). There was one person in there who had raped and tourchered and murdered lots of people. Really really horrible to hear aboout it. But then the presenter started asking him about his past and he told them he was in and out of jail/young offenders since he was 11 (ish forget exatly). He was also abused as a child by his patents. When you look at it like that we (being society) failed that young person. He was raised wrong and society ****ed up. he should have been taken aside as a teenager and thought properly instead of left where he was where small crimes slowly became bigger and bigger until he was raping and murdering people.

No one is born 'bad'. Anyone who becomes 'bad' it is the fault/ faliours of society that ultamatly lead them to becoming bad.

As for the drug dealers. Alot of drugs should simply be made legal. Canabus, shrooms, DMT, and a few more shouldn't be illegal. My grandads brother has 2 1/2 years to live. he was digonosed with something or other with a long name. He now smokes canabis everyday and his quality of life has significtly improved. He can walk around by himslef. It gives him an appatatite, improves his mood to no end. It wont make him better but gives him some diginity and quality and life to his last 2 years. Anyone who says that this is wrong and he should go to jail should be shot.

As for coke and heroin and meth. Yes they sould be illegal and carry very harsh penelties becouse they ruin people's life. but most of the people in prison for drug crimes are in there for canabis. That is wrong.

The death peanilty is a horrible idea and i though we as a society have moved further than even considering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    You have it completely the wrong way round.

Drug dealers don't ruin lives. The people that choose to consume what they understand to be dangerous substances are accepting whatever the consequences may be. Everyone has a responsibility first and foremost for themselves - if you're not going to look after yourself, then there's no point in blaming some guy selling a product that you have stupidly accepted to purchase.

If I seen a public execution, I'd most probably vomit right there and then...seems like you enjoyed it. Says a lot about your personality really.
    You are quick to assume my personality, can I assume you are a drug dealer trying to justify your profit motive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

And how exactly has it impacted on crime stats in countries and States where it's enforced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Hard labour.

free labour fas/job bridge :pac:

Merkin wrote: »
    And how exactly has it impacted on crime stats in countries and States where it's enforced?
    Very positivley, none of those executed committed any more crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

If Execution for selling drugs was brought in years ago we would not have the problem .Instead the Children died . It's that simple or as complicated as you want to make it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

paddyandy wrote: »
    If Execution for selling drugs was brought in years ago we would not have the problem .Instead the Children died . It's that simple or as complicated as you want to make it .
    they'd have found another way to kill themselves to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

These threads always bring a very special kind of stupid to the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Goafer

These threads always bring a very special kind of stupid to the table.

You're here too, ergo you are stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I used to be for it, for just murder, but now I'm not so sure.

People can change, I don't think they should be punished with their lives no matter what they do.

I know if someone killed someone close to me, their death would not bring me any peace at all.

For drugs? No way in hell, madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

The Saudi system is absolutely not one worth parroting only an utter moron would suggest otherwise. Taking a life as a punishment or some sort of disincentive to others is similarly moronic.

We wouldn't need to deal with drug dealers or drug users if we had more rational legislation than the bullsh*ttery we currently have that favours one drug over another due the length it has been available to the public and despite what all research backed reports state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I believe in the death penalty for shíte threads
    I know. I started a really interesting poop thread last night and yet this **** is allowed. Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I'm against the death penalty, but not for the 'two wrongs don't make a right arguement' (putting a murdering scumbag to death isn't a wrong in my view). but simply because of the fallibility of our legal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The issue we'll never get past with the death penalty is the error rate. It's impossible to completely eliminate false convictions. Even if only one in every thousand murder convictions is a miscarriage of justice, the state will be executing a significant number of innocent people. I don't consider it a fair trade to kill innocent people so that we can guarantee others won't re-offend, at least not so long as we have a clear (albeit expensive) alternative.
    fkface wrote: »
    I support death penalty for child abusers

Obviously can't agree. Horrible as abuse is, there are undoubtedly worse crimes. Well, maybe just one worse crime. If we don't support the death penalty for murder, we can't justify it for child abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

So when a farmer / or sporting firearms holder shoots the intruder dead because they where "in fear of their life" is that just as bad as the intruder being sentenced to the death penalty at a later date?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Mercy of the Fool is Cruel .That is why things have got so bad in ireland .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

FFS

If people are going to suggest death penalty then they must prove that it actually works as an effective deterrent. cf. south east asia

Next the must prove that it is applied across the board. cf. US desire to kill young illiterate blacks in states with Republican governers seeking re-election.
    Note also that as little as two years ago the US penalties for possessing crack cocaine were 100 times those for possessing cocaine.

also it's important to realise that between all the appeals it costs far more to execute someone than to keep them in prison for life.

and finally the US spend about €44Bn a year on drug prevention and punishment - with a knock on effect of about 10,000 deaths a year in Mexico - and about €2.50 on rehabilitation.

If you want to save lives / reduce the drugs problem / save lots of money / keep money out of reach of 'organised' crime - you could do far worse than decriminalise end users and accept that a certain portion of the population will be junkies.
    Treating the junkies is far cheaper than imprisoning them / sorting out the burgularies / muggings they do.

Biggest thing to do is figure out a way to keep certain sections of the long term unemployable busy so they aren't bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R.F.

Death penalty for some, miniature American flags for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm proud of the fact that we don't have the death penalty. Why take a step backwards?

FFS

If people are going to suggest death penalty then they must prove that it actually works as an effective deterrent. cf. south east asia

Next the must prove that it is applied across the board. cf. US desire to kill young illiterate blacks in states with Republican governers seeking re-election.
    Note also that as little as two years ago the US penalties for possessing crack cocaine were 100 times those for possessing cocaine.

also it's important to realise that between all the appeals it costs far more to execute someone than to keep them in prison for life.

and finally the US spend about €44Bn a year on drug prevention and punishment - with a knock on effect of about 10,000 deaths a year in Mexico - and about €2.50 on rehabilitation.

If you want to save lives / reduce the drugs problem / save lots of money / keep money out of reach of 'organised' crime - you could do far worse than decriminalise end users and accept that a certain portion of the population will be junkies.
    Treating the junkies is far cheaper than imprisoning them / sorting out the burgularies / muggings they do.

Biggest thing to do is figure out a way to keep certain sections of the long term unemployable busy so they aren't bored.
    It certainly deters the fcuker at the end of the rope! Never heard of a person who was hanged committing any more crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It certainly deters the fcuker at the end of the rope! Never heard of a person who was hanged committing any more crimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Babbacombe_Lee
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Samuel
    Both hanged three times
    Both survived

more
    http://www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/21cc/crime/media1/calendar1/duell1/duell1.html

and you have to take into account all the failed lynchings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm proud of the fact that we don't have the death penalty. Why take a step backwards?

Because people are angry and scared!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

doesnt that just feed the anger and fear,what if they took a more casual approach to the death penalty?what then,where does it stop?what if someone innocent got set up with drugs in their bag at an airport,do you think its fair they get the death penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I cant believe that people are seriesly considering this.

Someone said that it has to be proved to work before introducing it (couldn't be bother quote)

Bigger risk = Bigger charge = bigger profits = More people willing to take the chance at border jumping/ growing = more crinmal activity

This will only serve to scare some people out of dealing.
    Hence will push up the price of the drugs and hence attract more people.

Most drugs are worth more pound for pound than gold as it stands.
    What whould they be worth after this is introduced???
    This will only inflate profits for the drug dealers.

No one deserves the death penalty. (read my comment on perivous page) but this makes no sence any way that you look at it

Advertisement