Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just want a phone!!!

Options
  • 04-07-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I've been looking around for ages trying to find a phone as I'm using an old brick of a thing(last one broke)..... And I've seen everything up to 600 euro for an mobile.. Can anyone recommend a good phone(good battery life, nice layout and wifi prefaerably) to me for something around the 100e mark... I've been looking at blackberrys but I don't want to change networks(meteor) and I haven't seen many nice ones for meteor... Thanking you in advance for your advice & recommendations :)

Comments

In my opinion the best value phone available at the moment is the Huawei Ascend G300. Only vodafone have it at the moment, but it would be worth buying it as prepay and then getting it unlocked. There is a great thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78900377

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Second the Huawei, it's the best option by far at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

+1 for the Huawei, fantastic phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Cheers lads, iPhone gone in a taxi after 2 months, think this will be the replacement. Can't throw that much away again

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Cheers lads, iPhone gone in a taxi after 2 months, think this will be the replacement. Can't throw that much away again

Oh what a sickener!!:eek:

Defo +1 on the G300...amazing value & do the sim trick with a free Tesco mobile sim & you'll get another €20 off it too!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

keredern wrote: »
    do the sim trick with a free Tesco mobile sim & you'll get another €20 off it too!;)

Could you explain how to do this please as i'm considering buying this as my new phone and the cheaper I can get it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

vgv wrote: »
    Could you explain how to do this please as i'm considering buying this as my new phone and the cheaper I can get it the better.

In order to get the €20 off, you need to port a number to Vodafone.

Get a free sim from Tesco (or any other SP excl VF) & use the number on that sim as the port number.

When the phone arrives it will come with a VF sim which you can discard or give to someone else.

Get the G300 unlocked via Ebay for about €7-10.

Total cost of phone €110 plus unlocking fee.

If you're already on VF you don't need to get the phone unlocked!

I tried to give you a link to VF's website but the site is down for maintenance!

Here's a fuller breakdown;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056653168&page=3

Here goes small tutorial how to make most of the phone:

1. Go to Tesco Mobile and order Yourself a free sim card

2. After You have card at Your hand go to Vodafone shop and tell them that You want to switch netork from Tesco to Vodafone -- 20 euros off the phone price.

2a. If You have unwanted phone You can bring it with You and ask Vodafone if they want it - from 5 to 50 euros off the phone price.

3. GO to eBay to purchase unlock code for this phone.

4. Go to ModaCo and follow instruction there to root Your phone.

5. Go to ClockworkMod Recovery for Huawei U8815/Ascend G 300 to install ClockworkMod Recovery (so You can install custom room on it.

6. Go to de-branded Rom for G300 to install custom room on it.

7. At this point You should receive Your unlock code so You can put Your sim in G300 and start playing.

I went thru above and now have unlocked and de-branded phone.

If You have any questions let me know.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

Got the phone today.. Delighted.. Better than the iphone in my opinion! Thanks for recommendation :)

Advertisement