Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen beer

Options
  • 04-07-2012 9:01am
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I left a bottle of Schneider Weisse in the freezer last night and forgot about it/passed out. Will it be ok?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Surely youd be the best judge of that, crack it open and drink it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've found that defrosted beer often lacks fizz and loses flavour. A wheat beer might still come out grand. Either way, it won't kill you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The carbonation will be gone more than likely, and might taste odd, the yeast will be dead too.

Perfectly drinkable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I find carbonation loss depends on how fully frozen it was. If it is pure ice then it can expand and actually crack open the lid a little.

If it was in a chest freezer it is going to be worse than the small top freezer compartment in a small fridge. I remember finding an unfrozen bottle that was in a freezer compartment for a few days. These weird occurrences were shown on mythbusters, upon opening the bottle unfrozen liquid can freeze up. This can happen with fizzy water too.

If you leave a dodgy bottle or can like this out you will notice the moisture in the air freezing on it, so best not open it. I leave these weird bottles to 'warm up' in the fridge for a day.

If you have a flat bottle and do not want to throw it away, you could try mixing with another normal bottle, if you do not mind 2 semi flat ones. Or if you are a brewer you could try adding a little priming sugar and yeast to it and capping it.

Advertisement