Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you take a candle through the airport?

• 04-07-2012 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

I'm heading away on Friday and have a candle for a friend that I am taking with me.

I am not sure if I will be allowed to take it through security at the airport as I once had vegemite in my luggage that was taken as it was a 'spread'.

Anyone know? It is a candle in a handmade pottery bowl so not something I'd want confiscated.

Thanks.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

hand luggage or underneath?

I'd say you'd be alright i brought some back from spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

danniemcq wrote: »
    hand luggage or underneath?

I'd say you'd be alright i brought some back from spain

Thanks, it is hand-luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Likely to be more of an issue with hand luggage and a ceramic bowl could be seen as a weapon - easy to break and use to stab someone (if you were so inclined). Wrap in well in your clothes and pack in your main luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

^^^ this,

easier all round

Likely to be more of an issue with hand luggage and a creamic bowl could be seen as a weapon - easy to break and use to stab someone (if you were so inclined). Wrap in well in your clothes and pack in your main luggage.

I am only taking hand-luggage. Maybe I should post it instead. Only going to the UK, but it is heavy enough so will probably cost a bomb (excuse pun) :D

Maybe I should ring the airport and ask.

It is a soft type of wax, so kind of like a paste, that is why I am a bit nervous.

• Advertisement

Actually, I am thinking I should just send it today and hope it gets to London for the weekend. I have a bad feeling they would not allow it now, the wax does look like a paste.

Urgh. Pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Give the airport a call and ask .. much easier then having a cavity search .. < fetches rubber gloves >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I am only taking hand-luggage. Maybe I should post it instead. Only going to the UK, but it is heavy enough so will probably cost a bomb (excuse pun) :D

Maybe I should ring the airport and ask.

It is a soft type of wax, so kind of like a paste, that is why I am a bit nervous.

Best not to mention the b word :D. You are probably better posting it, hand luggage will be x-rayed and you have to leave them behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

no one answer
    its a plot to blow up an ryanair plane

actually nevermind blow one up , they have **** service

Best not to mention the b word :D. You are probably better posting it, hand luggage will be x-rayed and you have to leave them behind.

Yeah, I think you are right. I will exchange it today for something else that I can take over as I want to make sure it is arrives when I am there.

Glad I posted this. I'd have been mighty p*ssed off if they kept it. I was bad enough when they took my Vegemite :D

Cheers all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Candles? organic spread?

damn hippies!

Candles? organic spread?

damn hippies!

:D:D:D

I'm not, but :D:D:D

Have you though about hiding it on your person ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Have you though about hiding it on your person ?

You've got your own person? lucky bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

op i have reported you to the authorities as a possible bomb threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Would be handier to leave the candle here and buy a new one in London.

I'm sure that you'll be able to find a home for the one you already have.

Would be handier to leave the candle here and buy a new one in London.

I'm sure that you'll be able to find a home for the one you already have.

The one I got is a handmade one from where I live, so it is has a special meaning. It isn't just a Yankee candle or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Always looking for more person's tho ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

sounds like a homemade bomb to me. It's explosive paste with a fuse, in a handmade pot isn't it?

• Advertisement

It is the soft wax, paste-like that you can push your finger through, so I really think they will say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

No definitely not. I know someone who did that and he got five years for it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stuff it down the front of your trousers, win-win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

brought 2 of those big yankee candle glass jar candles through a US and Dublin airport, no problem at all. Chicago airport asked to look at them is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

if it means that much, any doubts in any way would have me making alternate plans

doesnt matter what the internet says, when the gorilla at security decides he's gonna bin it, he's gonna bin it.. can wave as much printed internet pages, and quote this thread as much as you like, its going in the bin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hardonraging is a mule... he even claims to be hung like one :p

Advertisement