Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC upgrade from 20MB to 25MB

• 04-07-2012 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I got a text from UPC saying I was being upgraded from 20MB to 25MB. (Dublin)

I see the 20MB is no longer advertised on their website.
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

Anyone else get this text?

I presume UPC will still charge me at the 20MB rate as I didn't ask for an upgrade... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

mambo wrote: »
    I got a text from UPC saying I was being upgraded from 20MB to 25MB. (Dublin)

I see the 20MB is no longer advertised on their website.
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

Anyone else get this text?

I presume UPC will still charge me at the 20MB rate as I didn't ask for an upgrade... :confused:

We've been upgraded twice in the past when we first got it we had the 10mb package then we were upgraded to 20mb then 25mb a few months ago and we're still paying around the same price so I reckon you're ok.

Although I think they may have accidentally capped us at 30mb because im getting 30 for any speed tests I do but who's complaining ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

mambo wrote: »

I'm not so sure about that. I've also been upgraded to 25MB, but currently pay e25.41 for my broadband. Since they are advertising 25MB as being e37 pm, how long will they allow us to stay on a lower rate?

IMHO, e37 pm is too high for an 'entry-level' broadband product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Actually their rates are increasing in the next month or so - you should be receiving from UPC about this some soon

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Actually their rates are increasing in the next month or so - you should be receiving from UPC about this some soon

Indeed, more on this at
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/upc-hits-customers-with-84-price-increase-in-annual-bills-3158422.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

stiofanD wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. I've also been upgraded to 25MB, but currently pay e25.41 for my broadband. Since they are advertising 25MB as being e37 pm, how long will they allow us to stay on a lower rate?

IMHO, e37 pm is too high for an 'entry-level' broadband product.

Hi,

Im wondering how you pay €25.41 for ur B/B

I was on the 15mb then upgraded to 20mb and now to the 25mb and Im paying €28.92 plus 23% VAT which equals €35.57 at the moment

Looking back at a Feb 2011 bill I was paying €28.10 plus 21% VAT which equals €34

So how come ur B/B cost is like €10.16 cheaper?

Regards

Iba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Back in January I was able to get a 20mb broadband connection off UPC for €25 and then the basic phone service for another €6.50. I went to check UPC again to arrange this subscription for someone else but now I can't find it?

Have UPC simply dropped the €25 + €6.50 package and are now forcing customers to get the bundles starting from €42 instead?? I'm suprised there hasn't been more reaction to this, if it's true.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Back in January I was able to get a 20mb broadband connection off UPC for €25 and then the basic phone service for another €6.50. I went to check UPC again to arrange this subscription for someone else but now I can't find it?

Have UPC simply dropped the €25 + €6.50 package and are now forcing customers to get the bundles starting from €42 instead?? I'm suprised there hasn't been more reaction to this, if it's true.

Yes me too. And again it points to the danger of allowing "monopoly" situations to arise as one or two of us here pointed out some time ago.

Yes I know UPC are not strictly a monopoly but the lack of opposition in the cities allows them to behave as such and we are seeing this now.

Incidentally how can they be allowed to advertise products at prices they cannot be purchased at?

For example the 25Mb is advertised at 37 euros but in reality it costs considerably more than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Advertisement