Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

states

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dead link???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Here ya go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Seems that you can buy what you want in the USA, IF the dealer will sell it to you.

This will be an interesting thread to watch over the coming weeks - as I noted, Ireland [Republic of] seems to be the exception in Europe with regard to what constitutes a 'pressure-bearing and intrinsic component of a firearm'.

As as one poster noted, it would seem that one might eventually end up with a complete gun, having bought all the components over a period of time.

But THAT, of course, would be illegal, wouldn't it?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Very true,technically it would be questionable legality could you sell the spare barrel,or even fire it unless it has been proof marked and proof shot here in the EU??

Simple answer to wether you can buy a gun in the US as a non national.If you think you can walk in, plonk down your dollars and an Irish ID and walk out again with what your heart desires,answer NO!!
    Fact is,you cant even do this as a US citizen either,if you are purchasing away from your home state. IOW a Californian cant hop over the state line to Arizona and buy a gun and walk out with it and go home to Cali. This is where the interstate transactions of Federal Firearms Liscenses [FFL ] comes into play.Buy the gun in AZ,it is sent to your local dealer in CA where you collect it,subject to whatever the local,and state law is on owning the type of firearm you bought.
    You need to be a resident of whatever state you want to buy a firearm in for either 60 or 90 days,and have State ID [drivers liscense]and some utility bills to prove your residency,if you are a non national,they will want to see the green card,or whatever visa entitles you to be there that long.

Can you buy parts and ship out of the CONUS as a non national??

DEPENDS.On what it is,there is a whole gamut of non exportable outright still classified as military or dual use equipment out there.Hence,you are better off dealing with some company like Brownells,or Gunparts Inc,as they ship internationally and have the experiance to tell you what can or cant be shipped that week.It can literally change that often.
    Thanks to the UN and their ITAR regulations..Which is up for discussion again in that waste of the worlds taxpayers money and ginormus talk shop and financial drain in New York City.:mad:

Good post, Sir. As you correctly point out, in the rest of the EU a barrel must be proofed before it can be sold - commercially or otherwise. It is the vendor's responsibilty to ascertain compliance with the individual national proof requirements, and all those nations who manufacture firerams have proof houses for this purpose. However, from what I've read on these pages over the last couple of years, there is no such requirement in the RoI. Some fairly acrimonious debate followed on from this, I recall, about Irish gunmakers not needing to comply with 'a bunch of stupid rules thought up by foreigners to make money for proof-houses' and so on.

Although we spend part of the year over with my relatives in Oregon and the rest of my immediate family in Ontario, I've never tried to buy anything gun-related over there except cleaning patches and shoot-n-see's - all my guns are of a different generation entirely from 99% of those seen on this forum. In any event, most of the handguns I shoot in OR used to be mine - they escaped before the 1997 handgun ban in mainland UK.

As I noted, it will be interesting to read the follow-on threads from here on in.

Best

tac

EDIT - just got a 'ruling' advisory notice from lawyer in TX - here is the gist of it - 'Hmm - found a claim on the Workbench Forum that says current US law makes it a felony to export a barrel (and most other firearms parts other than stocks, grips and sights) without an export license. Ouch!.

c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

OK, the legislative provision exempting a licence holder from an import licence for that firearm is Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1965:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/act/pub/0001/sec0021.html

EU imports have additional provisions.

Now, there is a provision in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 to restrict any and all imports to registered dealers i.e. replace all of Section 17 of the 1925 act (along with another provision in s.38 to directly repeal the previous), but I can't see if this has been commenced yet.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0028/sec0036.html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/isbc/2009_28.html

I don't think it has & DoJ still lists a procedure for individual import.

Oh what a disgracefully convoluted Firearms Act we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tac foley wrote: »
    EDIT - just got a 'ruling' advisory notice from lawyer in TX - here is the gist of it - 'Hmm - found a claim on the Workbench Forum that says current US law makes it a felony to export a barrel (and most other firearms parts other than stocks, grips and sights) without an export license. Ouch!.

Which is a given and ,but is NOT an impossibility to do it either if you do it thru a FFL dealer who is State Dept cleared to handle the process of exporting outside CONUS.It just takes abit longer and is costly.
    Thank the ITARs regulation and the UN for making your shooting experiance all the more miserable.:mad::mad:

Now, there is a provision in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 to restrict any and all imports to registered dealers i.e. replace all of Section 17 of the 1925 act (along with another provision in s.38 to directly repeal the previous), but I can't see if this has been commenced yet.

And it wont be commenced either!As it has been pointed out by senior counsel in a High court case that it is unconstitutional and contary to the movement of free trade,or individual choice or creating a cartel,or summat on those legal points.Not to mind 100% impractical,imagine you go shooting in NI or the UK,for the day and having to have a gun dealer re import you legally held firearms back into the state for you.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement