Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formal Shirts

• 04-07-2012 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I wear suits for work on a daily basis, and therefore have a need to wear a formal shirt and tie too.

Recently I've struggled to purchase new shirts that are to my liking. Previously I bought a lot of my shirts from M&S but these days they seem to either stock a lot of douchebag patterns or shirts that crease as soon as you put them on.

I've tried Delvays on Grafton Street but less than impressed with the product. Their classic fit is more like a slim fit, especially on the arms and cuffs. The finish can be poor with a number of loose threads. And the top button does not overlap properly and very visible even with the tie done up.

Some of favourite shirts are from the Tommy Hilfiger Tailored range (usually buy them from Diffneys) but their hard to locate at times.

Ideally the shirts I'd like to buy are a classic fit, a classic pattern (blue patterns mostly), 100% cotton, do not crease easily and well made.

So where do you gents buy your shirts? I haven't tried TM Lewin or Pink yet? Any feedback on their shirts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Picked up a nice black shirt in RI recently, under 30 sheets as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

irlrobins wrote: »
    Hey all,

I wear suits for work on a daily basis, and therefore have a need to wear a formal shirt and tie too.

Recently I've struggled to purchase new shirts that are to my liking. Previously I bought a lot of my shirts from M&S but these days they seem to either stock a lot of douchebag patterns or shirts that crease as soon as you put them on.

I've tried Delvays on Grafton Street but less than impressed with the product. Their classic fit is more like a slim fit, especially on the arms and cuffs. The finish can be poor with a number of loose threads. And the top button does not overlap properly and very visible even with the tie done up.

Some of favourite shirts are from the Tommy Hilfiger Tailored range (usually buy them from Diffneys) but their hard to locate at times.

Ideally the shirts I'd like to buy are a classic fit, a classic pattern (blue patterns mostly), 100% cotton, do not crease easily and well made.

So where do you gents buy your shirts? I haven't tried TM Lewin or Pink yet? Any feedback on their shirts?

By the sounds of what you're willing to pay for shirts, you could easily go to a tailor and have several made for you. While I don't have experience of this in Ireland (I had a few made in SE while travelling) if it's a good tailor and you're clear in your instructions, you should end up with shirts that fit almost perfectly.

Edit: I generally go with M&S or TM Lewin for ready to wear shirts. Would recommend the latter if you've moved away from M&S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Update: Picked up shirts in Hilfigers today in their sale. Got 50% off two and 30% off the third. Very pleased. Also picked up a nice one in Diffneys, also on sale.

During the week I emailed my complaints about Dalveys to their contact address and got a prompt reply. They asked me to return to the store and talk to the manager. Can't knock them for efficient customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Update: Picked up shirts in Hilfigers today in their sale. Got 50% off two and 30% off the third. Very pleased. Also picked up a nice one in Diffneys, also on sale.

During the week I emailed my complaints about Dalveys to their contact address and got a prompt reply. They asked me to return to the store and talk to the manager. Can't knock them for efficient customer service.

Cool. Very important that when you DO find a shirt you like ... buy 5 or more of them ! why not ? do you want to be searching again in 6 months or a year's time ?

When I find a trouser or even a shoe that I really like I often buy a second and put it away for later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Piliger wrote: »
    Very important that when you DO find a shirt you like ... buy 5 or more of them ! why not ?
    That might be ok for a plain white or blue shirt. But for a patterned shirt, less so. I don't plan on going to work looking like I'm wearing the same shirt all week. And I'd get bored of the pattern if i was just replacing like with like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

That might be ok for a plain white or blue shirt. But for a patterned shirt, less so. I don't plan on going to work looking like I'm wearing the same shirt all week. And I'd get bored of the pattern if i was just replacing like with like.

I do see your point. My point was more long term... for when these shirts wear out. I guess for me the basic patterns, stripes never lose their appeal, especially when they are the classic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Few great Ben Sherman shirts in debenhams op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I find Bertoni good.

Advertisement