Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pryamid schemes

• 04-07-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Ever been in one? ever got duped by one? ever made money from one?

There's a Polish guy in work who never shuts up about one he's joined. He's since convinced another guy to join and another guy just to buy the stuff he's selling.

I spoke to one of them about it and told him that the product is horse **** and has no scientific evidence to do what it claims etc, he said all he has to do is convince people it does and he'll "make money". The other guy is convinced it actually does what it says on the bottle.

I wouldn't be able to deceive people like that. The whole thing annoys the siht out of me! I don't want them to lose their investment, but part of me thinks they deserve to!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fools and their money. let them off, just if you see them offering someone else try to save that person

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

First, let me assure you that this is not one of those shady pyramid schemes you've been hearing about. No sir. Our model is the trapezoid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The whole thing annoys the siht out of me! I don't want them to lose their investment, but part of me thinks they deserve to!
    I wouldn't describe putting money into a pyramid scheme as an investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Ever been in one? ever got duped by one? ever made money from one?

There's a Polish guy in work who never shuts up about one he's joined. He's since convinced another guy to join and another guy just to buy the stuff he's selling.

I spoke to one of them about it and told him that the product is horse **** and has no scientific evidence to do what it claims etc, he said all he has to do is convince people it does and he'll "make money". The other guy is convinced it actually does what it says on the bottle.

I wouldn't be able to deceive people like that. The whole thing annoys the siht out of me! I don't want them to lose their investment, but part of me thinks they deserve to!

notify the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I have a bag of these Power Balance yokes if anyone wants one.

Anyone?

No?

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭fkface

money itself is a pyramid scheme if you think about it and we're all a victim of it.

fkface wrote: »
    money itself is a pyramid scheme if you think about it and we're all a victim of it.
    Well...not really.

Do you think the world works better with money or should we revert to barter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its hard to feel sorry for anyone stupid enough to invest money in a pyramid scheme. There was a thing here about 6 or 7 years ago where people had to "invest" €4000 and were gauranteed a return of €20000 a few weeks later. Lots of people bought into it, I nearly went to blows with a family member who wanted in. Cue 3 months down the line, 2 people got paid and about 10 people (that I know of) got screwed.
    It was all very convincing too, they had a special info night set up in the local center and were working their way up and down the west coast. Must have scammed hundreds of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

There's a Polish guy in work who never shuts up about one he's joined. He's since convinced another guy to join and another guy just to buy the stuff he's selling!

what exactly is he selling and how do i buy in? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

This isn't a productless pyramid scheme and doesn't involve massive amounts of money. You pay 100 odd euro a month for a product, you try and sell the product but most importantly, convince other people to buy into it like you have.

Its not illegal its just really preying on stupidity.

• Advertisement

Well...not really.

Do you think the world works better with money or should we revert to barter?

A pyramid scheme is an unsustainable business model which promises participants payment or services based on the expectation of other people becoming involved.

The key thing here is that our economic model is completely unsustainable.

Today, you might be living a life of indulgence and perceive everything is going really well for everyone, great system. Nice car perhaps, maybe a house paid for with money borrowed from a bank, able to go on holidays few times a year.

Fine, no argument, some people are living pretty good.

That doesn't really change the fact the business model is unsustainable.

We live on a planet of finite resources, our economic model is based on expectation of infinite growth which is simply impossible.
    Some people (especially economic academics) can't seem to understand this.

In order for you to live that life of indulgence, other people on this planet have to live with less, much less in some cases, they live a terrible existence because the planet was never designed for our insane business model.

You have massive destruction of the environment just so people can buy **** they don't need and it can't continue infinitely.
    In my opinion, our economic system is a pyramid scheme. 100%

A pyramid scheme is an unsustainable business model which promises participants payment or services based on the expectation of other people becoming involved.

bit different

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Today, you might be living a life of indulgence and perceive everything is going really well for everyone, great system. Nice car perhaps, maybe a house paid for with money borrowed from a bank, able to go on holidays few times a year.

We live on a planet of finite resources, our economic model is based on expectation of infinite growth which is simply impossible.

In order for you to live that life of indulgence, other people on this planet have to live with less, much less in some cases, they live a terrible existence because the planet was never designed for our insane business model.

You have massive destruction of the environment just so people can buy **** they don't need and it can't continue infinitely.

i really only understood the last line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I went to Egypt once to see the pyramids. I wasn't that impressed. They're basically cubes that sank sideways into the sand. If they'd have built proper foundations, it never would have happened.

bluewolf wrote: »
    bit different

How is it? Everyone wants to be rich and buy crap they don't need so they need to take part in our economic model which consists of raping the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I blame those crafty Pharaohs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

connundrum wrote: »
    I have a bag of these Power Balance yokes if anyone wants one.

Anyone?

No?

:(

Just googled it, how can anyone be so stupid?
    If anyone doesn't know about it, the power of the hologram sticker (yes, that 80's childs "toy") close to your body makes you run faster.
    Jesus wept, if you buy one of them you probably sent your bank account number and sort code to the nigerian lottery comission aswell.

Thanks for the basic economics lesson...

But of course it has nothing to do with my post. Do you think the barter system would be better? Do you have an alternate economic model in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Look, joking aside: if you invest in my company you will be GUARANTEED 500% return! That's right, you invest a mere one euro and you can EARN that back 500 times with little to no effort!

Just ask Betty R of Ireland! Or Alex S of Ireland!

Please note these are potential earnings and do not reflect everyone's earnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I got caught in a pyramid scheme once, took me a pharohld time to get any money back, had to cut back on the luxories for a whicle after that mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Pyramid schemes have changed recently.
    A while back a few people would put a lot of money in say 10 people would invest 2000 each and only 2 would double their money.
    Now a days it seems it has changed tact so that alot of people put a small amount in and say 2000 people put 100 in. The only difference is the person at the top now gets more of the money because less people down the pyramid get a realistic return maybe as low as 1% PA.
    Some make it but the work involved isn't worth it.
    There is no such thing as free money and anytime someone offers you something for free there is always a catch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i think avon is a pyramid scheme - think of it , you have to buy in bulk to join up .. like how most of them start (and make fvck all on it)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

There's a couple that are longterm friends of mine & they have invested in no less than 4 pyramid schemes & lost on each. I got roped into one of the first ones, didn't fare well & then politely declined their offers on the other ones.

Each scheme was centred around some sort of health/beauty/household cleaning/natural product. You might be able to make a little bit of profit selling the actual product but the big thing they pushed was getting new members in, getting them selling.

Every time they started a new scheme, all you heard about was how amazing the product was & how it cured all their ailments & changed their life, it got really annoying.

I've since seen them get naive family members to invest in them & fail too.

The real stupidity became apparent when they guy bought 3000 euros (last of their savings) worth of ipods from China so he could sell them on ebay for profit. He got a bag of duds.

These companies are such a waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

i think avon is a pyramid scheme - think of it , you have to buy in bulk to join up .. like how most of them start (and make fvck all on it)..

Avon is probably about the only one you might make a few bob on, it's got Reese Witherspoon backing it up etc. It's a slightly well known brand. Most people tend to buy brands they know & trust in the supermarkets.

It's when you see these poor girls come round with a case of some really obscure sh1t that you're supposed to put on your face & they're telling you that ALL the other girls in the estate are buying it off her. It's sad

Thanks for the basic economics lesson...

But of course it has nothing to do with my post. Do you think the barter system would be better? Do you have an alternate economic model in mind?

It was crystal clear to me what I said in the first post, you seem to have a personal problem with it.

Our economic business model is a pyramid scheme, because our planet has finite resources. hence unsustainable model.

Explain exactly what you don't understand and I'll try my best to help you out because I don't remember going off into a debate about Barter Vs Indulgence.

You can have your Rolex and your fancy BMW but when you die, you'll have to leave it all behind. Boo hoo.

So, I hope dstruction of the environment is worth having those sh!tty little luxuries you covet everyday.

It was crystal clear to me what I said in the first post, you seem to have a personal problem with it.

Our economic business model is a pyramid scheme, because our planet has finite resources. hence unsustainable model.

Explain exactly what you don't understand and I'll try my best to help you out because I don't remember going off into a debate about Barter Vs Indulgence.

You can have your Rolex and your fancy BMW but when you die, you'll have to leave it all behind. Boo hoo.

So, I hope dstruction of the environment is worth having those sh!tty little luxuries you covet everyday.

It has nothing to do with money vs barter.
    You don't remember going off into a debate about money vs barter because you quoted someone talking about money vs barter and decided to go off into a completely unrelated hyped up rant about "raping the earth".

And now you seem angry that we're not all falling to agree, instead of asking what on earth this has to do with money vs barter.

Mink wrote: »
    Avon is probably about the only one you might make a few bob on, it's got Reese Witherspoon backing it up etc.

sure tom cruise heads the public advertising campaign for scientology..doesnt make it right

Mink wrote: »
    Avon is probably about the only one you might make a few bob on, it's got Reese Witherspoon backing it up etc.

sure tom cruise heads the public advertising campaign for scientology..doesnt make it right:pac:

I hope you enjoyed your fillet steak, and hope your PC is a nice shiny one.

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I hope you enjoyed your fillet steak, and hope your PC is a nice shiny one.

Yeah, it was rubbish. thanks for asking.

Any else girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'm Facebook friends with a girl who's into all this. She posts these godawful self-actualising/feel-goodery messages, then every third post is an obvious shill for a "fantastic product".

All her FB friends (me excepted :pac:) are doing the exact same thing. It's like there's an accepted process - use self-help imagery to make people feel you're on top of the world, then sell people the stuff that you claim is making you feel so good.

It's just too Americanised for my rural Irish tastes!

It has nothing to do with money vs barter.
    You don't remember going off into a debate about money vs barter because you quoted someone talking about money vs barter and decided to go off into a completely unrelated hyped up rant about "raping the earth".

And now you seem angry that we're not all falling to agree, instead of asking what on earth this has to do with money vs barter.

Where exactly did I bring up barter?

You fckers have no life, is this what you've been mulling over the whole day? my post? my god, that's fkn sad!

That's right, you got me.
    Ever since your first post, I have been sitting nearly motionless, fixated on my screen, thinking up responses. Then I post them. Then I begin the long wait until you might reply again. f5, f5... has he responded? What will he think of my post? Will I gain approval? Maybe a thanks?!
    My life centres around nothing else right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

You fckers have no life

coming from a man that is currently arguing on the internet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Nobody mentioned the obvious one yet....?
    Property - dependent on ever-increasing birth rates and/or immigration so that demand outstrips supply.

Going to take an analogy from the first law of thermodynamics;

Wealth cannot be created or destroyed - only transferred from one form to another.

• Advertisement

That's right, you got me.
    Ever since your first post, I have been sitting nearly motionless, fixated on my screen, thinking up responses. Then I post them. Then I begin the long wait until you might reply again. f5, f5... has he responded? What will he think of my post? Will I gain approval? Maybe a thanks?!
    My life centres around nothing else right now.

You're being pedantic.

I need to go out now and get my BMW serviced and collect the Rolex from watchmakers.

Maybe I'll stop at Shanahans for nice meal, nice fillet steak with bottle of champagne. . . hey, it's tough job this banking business, but someone's gotta do it.

Of course, the Irish tax payer can pick up the tab, I'd expect nothing less for man of my lifestyle.

Ta

Where exactly did I bring up barter?

You fckers have no life, is this what you've been mulling over the whole day? my post? my god, that's fkn sad!

LOL, he cracks! Cracks like an egg
    The troller was out trolled

The troller was out trolled

Oh Ya? I had not idea expressing an opinion was considered trolling.

One thing I'm certain of is that most of those who had a problem with my comment probably work in the finance industry.

You're too easy to snare.

BTW, I'll be at St.Georges later if any of you want to meet up and then I'll be at Thorntons playing Cello and sipping on some fine Louis Roederer.

Ta

XX

One thing I'm certain of is that most of those who had a problem with my comment probably work in the finance industry.

BTW, I'll be at St.Georges later if any of you want to meet up and then I'll be at Thorntons playing Cello and sipping on some fine Louis Roederer.

Ta

XX
    I can't wait to hear more of your first-year university student theories on the ills of the financial system and the injustice of people earning more than you.

I can't wait to hear more of your first-year university student theories on the ills of the financial system and the injustice of people earning more than you.

Ah Monty, how's that Rolex? How's your BMW? Been to St.Georges lately? I'll be there later, you bring the coke, i'll bring the champagne.

Ciao.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

The whole worlds financial system is a pyramid scheme ffs.

and China be at the top of da pyramid

Ah Monty, how's that Rolex? How's your BMW? Been to St.Georges lately? I'll be there later, you bring the coke, i'll bring the champagne.

Ciao.
    Oddly enough, I do drive a BMW but I have no Rolex - I have 3 Omegas and an IWC though, if that's any good.

I have a Casio, Monty (waiting for my bonus) . . .hasn't got a big price tag but it tells the time no less, even has a stop watch on it and light to boot.

Damn, speaking of time, it's almost 5pm, I'm gonna be late for my pedicure appointment at Absolute Beauty.

Bluewolf, you ready to go?

Ciao.

I don't do pedicures. I do play the cello though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

I have a Casio, Monty (waiting for my bonus) . . .hasn't got a big price tag but it tells the time no less, even has a stop watch on it and light to boot.

Damn, speaking of time, it's almost 5pm, I'm gonna be late for my pedicure appointment at Absolute Beauty.

Bluewolf, you ready to go?

Ciao.

Ciao

Haha you're some tool!

Ta

XX

Expressing opinions is grand, but when those opinions are so idiotic that you yourself seem to live your live doing the opposite it's hypocritical. And when they're pointed out to you to be idiotic you resort to childish namecalling (you forgot to say we live in our moms basement) you're either an idiot, or a troll. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

wonga77 wrote: »
    Its hard to feel sorry for anyone stupid enough to invest money in a pyramid scheme. There was a thing here about 6 or 7 years ago where people had to "invest" €4000 and were gauranteed a return of €20000 a few weeks later. Lots of people bought into it, I nearly went to blows with a family member who wanted in. Cue 3 months down the line, 2 people got paid and about 10 people (that I know of) got screwed.
    It was all very convincing too, they had a special info night set up in the local center and were working their way up and down the west coast. Must have scammed hundreds of people

This is why people get so het up about them, not because they've been burned themseleves, but because pyramid schemes cause so much trouble with people getting badgered to join, sometimes by people they've not heard from for years and getting grief for not being "ballsy" enough to join (this last thing usually comes from people who are desperate to recruit people when desperation sets in because theying finding it hard to find idiots people to join). They can reek havoc in small communities. I don't feel sorry for people who lose money in these schemes, because guess what? If they got their money and it collapsed at the next round, they wouldn't give a crap about the people they convinced to "invest" losing their money. Pyramid scheme were made for greedy, unscrupulous (and very stupid) people.

And another thing. You never hear about people losing their money in these things because people are too sheepish to admit they were scammed. You only about the relatively few who get a payout.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Expressing opinions is grand, but when those opinions are so idiotic that you yourself seem to live your live doing the opposite it's hypocritical. And when they're pointed out to you to be idiotic you resort to childish namecalling (you forgot to say we live in our moms basement) you're either an idiot, or a troll. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt

There's not a single post in this thread which addressed my opinion unless you think "those opinions are so idiotic" is a reasonable response?

This stupid little mind game started when Monty ..with all his superior knowledge of economics asked me about Barter vs Money

Point out exactly where I discussed the pros/cons of either?

Not once....

Monty tries to drag me into a debate about money vs barter and to be honest, I don't give a sh!t.

My point was that our monetary system is a pyramid scheme and not a single one of you can explain why it isn't.

Simple issue here that seems to escape you is all that money created will never NEVER ever be paid back because it's simply mathematically impossible.

All money from the central is created with immediate debt attached therefore in order to pay that debt back, you need to create more money, with more debt ...this is your system, this is what you think isn't a pyramid scheme when it clearly is.

You explain to me with all you superior knowledge how it'll be paid back.
    I need a laugh today, please attempt to explain.

And all your economic theories and equations are really laughable when you measure the health of the environment on this planet which supports all life.

Your theories were created by people with no understanding about the limits of the planet we live on. The lack of resources to support your naive beliefs in our monetary system are gradually being exposed as a complete fraud.

You have all these equations and spew them out like your educating the peons of Ireland about complex subjects when really your equations are bunch of BS.

There is no infinite amount of water, oil, gas, coal, forests, fish ... these things become depleted and strangely enough your sh!tty equations don't take that into account.

Then you tell me my opinion is "idiotic" without even explaining why?
    And you want me to take you seriously?

I don't. Clowns work in the finance sector.

Simple issue here that seems to escape you is all that money created will never NEVER ever be paid back because it's simply mathematically impossible.
    Why do you feel that 'all money must be repaid'?. You'd be better of spending some time reading on the subject than giving out to randomers if you find it interesting. Unless you were setting out to amaze us with your amazing insights. You'd need superluck to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

The current financial system since Bretton Woods is a pyramid scheme. Just a very very big one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement