Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens clothes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I live in the US so these are the shops i frequent:

Express nearly for nearly everything. They have shirts that are great fitting for my body type, they are the only shirts i own for work or nights out.

Levis for jeans.

Armani Exchange, even tho its the most guido brand there is, they do some really high quality, well fitting t-shirts as long as they are plain tees without the ridiculous logos on them.

Works pants, i go for Bonobos or Calvin Klein.

Outerwear, the Gap/Banana Republic brands do some great jackets for casual and formal if you shop at their higher priced range

Shoes - Formal - Aldo or Calvin Klein
    Shoes - Casual - Mostly Adidas

Suits are all J Crew

Some other shops from time to time: are Lacoste, Emporio Armani, Topman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

im suprised more people dont shop online

i just can't venture into that area. I have to try clothes on there and then before I buy. Some things that I love on the rack just look wrong or awful if I try them on. Sizes (especially trouser/jeans lengths) often don't mean anything particularly if you are taller.

I know all the online retailers have efficient and hassle free returns policies but it still involves making sure you or someone else is at home to receive the parcels and then head to the Post Office to return. Also, I have to admit I like clothes shopping! :)(an activity I know many blokes despise!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

ongarboy wrote: »
    i just can't venture into that area. I have to try clothes on there and then before I buy. Some things that I love on the rack just look wrong or awful if I try them on. Sizes (especially trouser/jeans lengths) often don't mean anything particularly if you are taller.

I know all the online retailers have efficient and hassle free returns policies but it still involves making sure you or someone else is at home to receive the parcels and then head to the Post Office to return. Also, I have to admit I like clothes shopping! :)(an activity I know many blokes despise!)

Same as, I want to know how they fell on, are they comfy, so they fit right, etc !

And i do like clothes shopping! there's nothing like picking up a few shirt,s pant's and shoes for a night out !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I play a lot of golf and consequently live in polo shirts and knits. Big fan of J. Lindeberg for those articles, but their gear is expensive so will rarely buy something that isn't on sale. Other 'golfing' labels I've invested in are Lyle and Scott and Puma; both do some nice stuff.

Have 3 pairs of jeans, including ones from Ben Sherman and one from Firetrap and very happy with them, no rips and they've been around for a while. Bought three new formal shirts from Dalveys recently and like them a lot. Otherwise, a few standard t-shirts and the like are all I need to get me through the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

im suprised more people dont shop online

I nearly always shop online especially if its a clothing store in know my sizes. Most shops do free returns so if it doenst fit its no hassle.

Even if i was to go to the real world and shop, i'd spend a lot of time online checking what stores have what clothes and what i want to buy and where. There's nothing worse if your going to spend money on a good coat or something, going to a shop seeing something you like, buy it and then walk to the next shop to find a nicer jacket and having to return the jacket you just bought.

I dunno if you have it back home, but Amazon Prime is the greatest invention known to man. Free 2-day shipping on the vast majority of items on Amazon.com ($80 yearly fee). I rarely waste my time by going into physical shops anymore. Why walk around a shop trying to find a certain product (that may or may not be in stock), pay a little extra and even transport the product back to your gaff...when you can search Amazon.com in seconds and one click the product will be at your door in two days...Amazon Prime will change how we shop forever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

penneys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Marks and Spencer.

The Goldilocks zone.

Not too cheap, not too pricey. Just right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

Shirts: http://www.savilerowco.com/

Be selective with what you choose and wait for the sale prices if possible.
    Better than anything you will find in a store in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Suits: was in Vietnam two years ago, had two bespoke suits made - one a standard three-piece, the other a two-piece with a clerical-collar frock coat. Total cost was just over €200. If you're not sure where to go on your next holiday, head there - great holiday and custom clothes.

Jeans: M&S or Dunnes, as I'm an odd shape.

Shirts: H&M fitted shirts are thirteen quid a pop and are an absolute godsend for those of us with thick necks.

T-shirts: online, mainly from webcomics.

Shoes (casual): Pumas bought from Sports Direct.

Shoes (formal): plain black, origin varies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I only really shop in TK Maxx ( Not for everyone I know, but you can find some gems) and Urban Outfitters (Quite expensive but they have very good sales occasionally).

I just dislike the idea of wearing some mass-produced Topman/River Island identikit clothing...but each to their own :)

Ah c'mon man - TK Maxx and Urban Outfitters are stuff full of mass produced, identikit clothign! Because you shop in TK and UO does not make you unique!

Davey's on Grafton St do great deals on formal shirts, handy for those nights out around Grafton/Kildare/Nassua St

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

And now Paul galvin is going to start making clothes, skinny jeans jersies and bras Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Suits: was in Vietnam two years ago, had two bespoke suits made - one a standard three-piece, the other a two-piece with a clerical-collar frock coat. Total cost was just over €200. If you're not sure where to go on your next holiday, head there - great holiday and custom clothes.

Jeans: M&S or Dunnes, as I'm an odd shape.

Shirts: H&M fitted shirts are thirteen quid a pop and are an absolute godsend for those of us with thick necks.

T-shirts: online, mainly from webcomics.

Shoes (casual): Pumas bought from Sports Direct.

Shoes (formal): plain black, origin varies.

Cheers bro! I shall be makin a trip to H & M over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Varied wrote: »
    Cheers bro! I shall be makin a trip to H & M over the next few days.

They really are excellent - I'm a 44-inch chest and a near-18-inch neck, and the XL size fits me near-perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I would buy all of my clothes from :

New Look,
    Top Man
    River Island
    Bershika
    H&M
    Schuh
    Forever21
    Diesel
    Next
    Republic
    Arnots
    BT2
    Hollister

I will get stuff every now and then from ASOS or Littlewoods.

And I think thats everywhere.

I smell a shopping spree coming on this Friday night !!!

The only think that bugs me at the moment is, Jeans ! for the life of me i cannot find nice moderately shaped boot cut jeans.

It seems all jeans in jack and jones either fall in to the skinny or lazy design category .. at least those in dundrum anyway ..

I just want a pair that's thin at the knee and a little flared / boot cut at the helm ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Ah c'mon man - TK Maxx and Urban Outfitters are stuff full of mass produced, identikit clothign! Because you shop in TK and UO does not make you unique!

Davey's on Grafton St do great deals on formal shirts, handy for those nights out around Grafton/Kildare/Nassua St
    What i was trying to say was I hate when you see lads all wearing chinos and the same tshirt from topman, it just looks a bit stupid.

Both of those shops have items that you are unlikely to find elsewhere in Ireland...hence the unique bit, obviously it's all mass produced just not to the scale of Topman. E.g Cheap Monday jeans and Homage T-shirts I haven't seen anywhere else.

I wasn't trying to come across as hipstery, just stating my dislike of topman and river island and the fact that i've come across some deadly bargains for good clobber in Tk & UO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Buy a pair of 7 for all mankind jeans.

Get the classic bootcut design,the pair with the crease down the center.

They're a great fit especially if your a leg 32 waist 32-34

Women love them on men.

Northclare wrote: »

Women love them on men.

Off to kildare outlet store with me so !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I usually buy going out clothes in River Island and work clothes in Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I usually buy going out clothes in River Island and work clothes in Dunnes.

Heatons does have good value and nice stuff too sometimes,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Women love them on men.

Off to kildare outlet store with me so !! :D

Is there a big price diff for 7 For All Mankind betw. the Outlet and BT?

JayReale wrote: »
    Is there a big price diff for 7 For All Mankind betw. the Outlet and BT?

Not sure off hand, 7 of all mankind seem €€€ like €90 + which isnt a big issue, i've payed 75 for years in jack and jones, and they were a great fit !

I'd be more interested in stock, i love white washed faded jeans, dark blue's do nothing for me ... and it seems 7FAMK only have a small selection of boot cut's in this design ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

and have no thighs or bum - I cannot get them past my knees unless I go for a size that's huge around the waist.

anyway - my point is no brand suits everyone I don't think. you've got to try them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*bump*
    Can any gents tell me where to get some decent quality light v-neck sweaters/jumpers in Dublin? Different colour plain ones would be fine.
    I have some H&M or Dunnes ones and usually roll the sleeves up on them, but they get stretched and turn into wizard sleeves after a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

BopNiblets wrote: »
    *bump*
    Can any gents tell me where to get some decent quality light v-neck sweaters/jumpers in Dublin? Different colour plain ones would be fine.
    I have some H&M or Dunnes ones and usually roll the sleeves up on them, but they get stretched and turn into wizard sleeves after a while!

TM Lewin (on Sth Anne Street) do great jumpers. A tad pricey. Available on their website too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Pricey stuff for good wear
    Superdry (Kildare Village & town)
    G Star
    Ralph Lauren (Kildare Village)
    Hollister

Clothes for knocking around in
    J & J
    H & M

Work clothes
    House of Fraser
    Remus Uomo
    Ralph Lauren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Cool thanks, I'll have a look in those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

Started to wear G Star lately. Really like the jeans, as I do not look good in tight jeans and most G Star are a loose fit, also their shirts and tops are very comfortable. Just concerned about what sort of people wear them. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Petca4 wrote: »
    Started to wear G Star lately. Really like the jeans, as I do not look good in tight jeans and most G Star are a loose fit, also their shirts and tops are very comfortable. Just concerned about what sort of people wear them. Thanks

All depends how you wear them. You don't have to look like a scumbag... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Gap and Kuyichi seem to be where I pick up most of my stuff at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Can anybody recommend a good place to buy a tuxedo suit in Dublin.
    I've come across many dress suits on sale, but it's quite difficult to get a tuxedo at a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Eathrin wrote: »
    I've come across many dress suits on sale, but it's quite difficult to get a tuxedo at a good price.
    M&S normally quite good for them, i got mine in Debenhams though but it was on sale at the time for €130.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

true religion jeans. fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I bought mine in a charity shop for 30 quid back in my college days, and still use it to this day. All you need is the jacket and trousers. Once you have them you can buy a good shirt new, and a bow tie from Black Tie.

I'd say you can get a tux within 100 euro, and it will be one that will last you years, and save you hundreds on rentals.

Best purchase I've ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

coonecb1 wrote: »
    I bought mine in a charity shop for 30 quid back in my college days, and still use it to this day. All you need is the jacket and trousers. Once you have them you can buy a good shirt new, and a bow tie from Black Tie.

I'd say you can get a tux within 100 euro, and it will be one that will last you years, and save you hundreds on rentals.

Best purchase I've ever made.

I ended up buying a nice one in Best for €149 including the tuxedo, bow tie and shirt. I found it to be tediously difficult to find a good fitting suit as I'm quite a slim fit.
    Also there were cheaper alternatives available, Dunnes and M&S do tuxedos for around€70-€85 but I thought the extra €50 was worth it for peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I ended up buying a nice one in Best for €149 including the tuxedo, bow tie and shirt. I found it to be tediously difficult to find a good fitting suit as I'm quite a slim fit.
    Also there were cheaper alternatives available, Dunnes and M&S do tuxedos for around€70-€85 but I thought the extra €50 was worth it for peace of mind.

That sounds like a smart decision actually. A rule I've learned recently is that the most important thing when trying on clothes is the fit. Needs to hug the body tight but not too tight.

I honestly had no idea you could get a tux new for such relatively low prices, might need to re-think my "best purchase ever" :eek:

Right, back to Saturday night TV.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Right so im looking for a decent pair of formal trousers pair i have at the moment got a bit wrecked from working in them.

Im tall *6ft4* average build so i sometimes find getting a pair in dunnes or marks and spencers for example i end up with stuff that looks like ****e.

I dont wanna spend a ton of money just want a nice pair of trousers to wear for fancy occasions :)

Any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Try best menswear in Dundrum. Decent sale on at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/

There is some very useful tip on here... It's what I base my wardrobe around... loosely!

Pennys sell nice Henleys and V- necks. Arnotts is great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone see any nice short sleveed shirts around lately, in decent shops in Dublin
    Every where seems to have only long sleveed ones due to winter coming in, but personaly i only wear short slevved ones,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

www.threadless.com is good for t shirts online.

L would be a nice fit, like an XL here...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pipasawrus

Was wondering if I'm the only person who has a rather 'well built' gentleman in the family who needs size 19 + collars on shirts (or xxxl) without having to take a second mortgage out to buy one....with the likes of High & Mighty. I know you can order from M&S and also Tesco do sometimes have large collars. Is there anybody else in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

I buy my jocks and t-shirts in pennies. Then the rest of my wardrobe consists of clothes from either H&M, Topman or River Island. Aside from this I have one coat from New Look and a leatherette jacket from Forever 21. Any suits I have were bought in Burton or Topman.

I'm a svelte gent so have to go for slim fit - skinny fit clothes and find the above brands good in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

use asos.com and dress-for-less.com for t-shirts, clothes etc. For sports gear generally mandmdirect.ie and sportsdirect.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

I'm able to dress head to toe in Topman without looking like a hipster twat :D

Buy my Chelsea boots from Asos.

My most recent leather jacket was a Bershka investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Anyone know where to get decent work trousers that aren't dry clean only?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

McGaggs wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get decent work trousers that aren't dry clean only?

M&S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

eBay for most things. I wear a lot of fitted, slim dress shirts and it is hard to find fitted shirts in mens small, even small runs a little bigger than I would like. The quality isn't terrific but it works out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Macer123 wrote: »
    M&S

I've got a couple of pairs from m&s, but I'm looking for something a bit harder wearing Nothing wrong with the m&s, but I don't think I'll get too long out of them (just being fussy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

McGaggs wrote: »
    I've got a couple of pairs from m&s, but I'm looking for something a bit harder wearing Nothing wrong with the m&s, but I don't think I'll get too long out of them (just being fussy)

What type of work pants are you looking for, something smart or something for heavier work?

• Advertisement
Advertisement