Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

it tuk er jebs!!!!!

• 04-07-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

The Internet & Technology that is.

Encyclopaedia Britannica (now no longer printing) Staff in the thousands, tens of thousands if you had the global salesmen and distribution network - wikipedia has a staff of about 40.

Travel agents - global industry employing millions - all but gone.

Banks - online banking & self-service machines are replacing staff all the time.

Supermarkets - many now have more self-serve terminals than human check -out staff

Warehousing - more and more companies using robots, was talkingto a guy last week who lost his job as the warehouse he managed has become almost fully automated(and he admitted much more effficient)

Manufacturing - Either done primarily by machines or by 5 year old children in the far east.

The mines - all closed, not that we have much to mine anywayz.

Ok so we have some IT jobs for now(how long before the computers are doing the programming?) but not everyone is suited to this type of work.

I think we have to accept that a forty hour working week is no longer realistic and should reduce the working week sufficiently to eradicate unemployment. Or kill the machines.

Where will the job creation come from? Yesterday on AH many people made the point that we have to decrease our consumption- but surely that will lower growth? If we want growth we have to increase our consumption but that will further damage Mother Earth and deplete our dwindling resources.

Anyway I give up. I start work in one minute:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The ironing is delicious.

Complains about technology taking jobs, works at a pc....wait so do I.

DAMN YOU PC

<throws out window....not really cos I'm still typing this...and it's too heavy...>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Inb4 Run_to_da_hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

chin_grin wrote: »
    The ironing is delicious.

DAMN YOU PC

<throws out window....not really cos I'm still typing this...and it's too heavy...>

and complains on the internet about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The mines? Are computers now extracting coal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its creating more tech and IT jobs though, online shops dont run themselves, skynet is way off yet.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    its creating more tech and IT jobs though, online shops dont run themselves, skynet is way off yet.

Once it continues to alienate old people and make them more useless than they already are, I'm all in favour. :pac:

krudler wrote: »

it was and the microsoft (.net) bought skype (sky)

together they make Skynet

http://img.imgur.com/yvtdc.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

The OP has a point, how long before the old reliable jobs like prostitution is hit, replaced by kerb crawling, cock sucking robots :(

davet82 wrote: »
    The OP has a point, how long before the old reliable jobs like prostitution is hit, replaced by kerb crawling, cock sucking robots :(

They'd be cleaner! Although their pimps would f*ck you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

They'd be cleaner!

i dont think so pal, have you ever heard of a computer virus? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

insert floppy here?

I'll turn your floppy into a hard drive baby?

RAM it in?

etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

IT closed the mines dammit! Worse than Thatcher!

i dont think so pal, have you ever heard of a computer virus? :rolleyes:

Until the day that computer viruses mutate in to an organic life form to pass to humans I'd say we'll be safe enough.

I wouldn't want a f*ck ton of pop ups appearing before my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The ironing is delicious.:mad:

DAMN YOU PC

The word is Irony...;)

Alls I no is my internet based company is maked 10s of Euros for me and that ain't not bad.

The word is Irony...;)

Alls I no is my internet based company is maked 10s of Euros for me and that ain't not bad.

I know. :rolleyes:

You need to hang around the internet more, lose that 'social life' everyone raves about. The real one that is...the fleshy one...and immerse yourself in the keyboard-ey one...yesssssssssssss. Joiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin ussssssssssssssssssssssssss!

:pac:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ironing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

The word is Irony...;)

Oh my, how ironic. (He was quoting the Simpsons btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The word is Irony...;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Oh my, how ironic. (He was quoting the Simpsons btw)

Yeah, so was he...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Yeah, so was he...

Always one step ahead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The word is Irony...;)

[mcbain] dats the joke [/mcbain]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

yeah mines are still run by people... dunno why op thinks they are run by computers

Peruvian Mine collapse - Apr 2012
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17677215

Chile Mine Collapse - Sep 2010
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/inside-chilean-mine-33-trapped-men/story?id=11622729#.T_QXN5Ftrs0

Chinese Mine Collapse - Oct -2011
    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-11-04/news/30361663_1_coal-mine-illegal-mines-mine-walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

computers aid in the running of the mine, hasn't this been around for years?

It all started when Microsoft developed their safety programme "minesweeper"

I used to practice that for hours, learning how to sweep mines hoping that one day I'd get a job on site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

The word is Irony...;)

The word is know....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Ok so we have some IT jobs for now(how long before the computers are doing the programming?)

Never gonna happen Computers, computers lack the ability to think. All the artificial intelligence in the world is written by a code monkey

This thread makes me happy to be one of them code monkeys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

chiloutus wrote: »
    Never gonna happen Computers, computers lack the ability to think. All the artificial intelligence in the world is written by a code monkey

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

That's the ugly side of modern day capitalism for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

tmc86 wrote: »

I used to practice that for hours, learning how to sweep mines hoping that one day I'd get a job on site.

African warzone kids don't have computers.

They can still play minesweeper though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I want to live in the 1940s, simpler times see, I hate god dam modern technology. Apart from my computer, I like that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Dey took our jobssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Durka durrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not for long.

It's only a matter of time before computers can do some sort of reprogramming through learning.

Machines are often better at producing loads of the same thing. If you need small amounts of anything though automation makes no financial sense.

I can see all manufacturing moving over to large corporations as people aren't willing to pay for smaller scale production products. I think overall that will led to a reduction in quality across all products as the competition from small businesses is eliminated (already happening thanks to the recession consolidating all manufacturing to a handful of very large companies).

It will mean less jobs and crappier products that are more than likely way overpriced for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

This higgs thing is going to take even more jobs. Don't know how but it fúcking will , big job stealing bosoms.

Probably we will learn how to give particles mass, whatever mass we want and therefore we will be able to turn anything into anything.

Bout three years away. Ye'll be sitting at home with a custard cream and decide you want a bourbon cream instead and you will stick it into your bosonometer and voila.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

Ja butyou... vill still need an expert to fix the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

On the other hand, higher level languages allow the monkeys to do less of the mundane coding tasks.

Reducing the working week would create jobs and even out wage disparity, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

100 years ago the tractor took most of our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

:rolleyes:

I don't see the issue?

Its an impossibility for a machine to ever truly think for itself. Let alone write a program. A simple program may be easy to have it memorize and then spew back out. But to get an AI to come up with these formula's and then turn them into code? Impossible. At the end of the day a CPU understands 1 thing, Yes/No. A human brain is 100x better because it has that Maybe option.

Simples. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

100 years ago the tractor took most of our jobs.
    Are you a plow horse???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The mines - all closed, not that we have much to mine anywayz.

..apart from the largest zinc mine in Europe (ninth largest in the world).

Manufacturing - Either done primarily by machines or by 5 year old children in the far east.

The Irish manufacturing sector showed further signs of recovery in June as demand strengthened over the month. The rate of job creation accelerated to the fastest in 12-and-a-half years. Irish manufacturers took on extra staff at a marked pace that was the sharpest since December 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

we should ban technology from industry to protect human jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Next on the list nightclubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

tmc86 wrote: »

minecraft is better it has more options and u can research new tech to improve efficiency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Most of our children will work in industries that don't even exist today.

Yes, technology replaces human labour but it also has the potential to make everyone more equal and have a better quality of life. For example if technology replaced all employment, there would be no rich or poor - and we would all live on handouts from automated systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The increase in automation also means that everything starts to become cheaper. In the end we're moving towards a situation in which most physical stuff will probably be done by machines, people will do light jobs which pay very little, but because of the automation of other things, very little will be needed to live on.

Isn't that the purpose of technology anyway, tp end up making our lives easier? I don't think even we as a society could f*ck that one up...

The increase in automation also means that everything starts to become cheaper. In the end we're moving towards a situation in which most physical stuff will probably be done by machines, people will do light jobs which pay very little, but because of the automation of other things, very little will be needed to live on.

Isn't that the purpose of technology anyway, tp end up making our lives easier? I don't think even we as a society could f*ck that one up...

the process of ever increasing automation will only continue while the supply of energy also increases, with peak oil already upon up, that process is now slowing down. Unless some alternative & economic source of energy is developed to replace the oil, we are likely to see a return to manual labour for certain tasks.

Foe example, one man and a leaf blower will be replaced by two men with brooms as they will become cheaper than the cost of the fuel for the leaf blower.

Advertisement