Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening traffic for the Ocean Race

Options
  • 04-07-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

HI,
    Yesterday traffic was crazy, just wondering if it'll be the same this evening? Or was yesterday extra busy cos
    a. Saw Doctors
    b. First evening of the Ocean Race.

Cheers,
    pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

c. It was pissing rain all day.

If it rains, Galway grinds to a halt. It doesn't matter whats on in the city, if anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Traffic was horrible for sure.

I wasn't happy with Merchants Road. No room for us to pass in places, partly because of all the traffic cones, and I don't agree with switching off these pedestrian lights.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I wasn't happy with Merchants Road. No room for us to pass in places, partly because of all the traffic cones, and I don't agree with switching off these pedestrian lights.
    The traffic has been made two way temporarily but the lights only point one way.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=merchants+road+galway&hl=en&ll=53.271963,-9.05061&spn=0.001668,0.017874&safe=images&hnear=Merchants+Rd,+Galway,+County+Galway&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.272159,-9.050397&panoid=pl4YiFAxP0KaFImTp2d5gQ&cbp=12,196.41,,0,4.12&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

JoeA3 wrote: »
    c. It was pissing rain all day.

If it rains, Galway grinds to a halt. It doesn't matter whats on in the city, if anything!

I've never understood that fully-
    people are at work so they've already driven or gotten the bus. It lashes rain for a few hours and is raining when people leave work/town.
    I know traffic is slower but do extra people suddenly jump into cars that they didn't drive to work/town? Where does all the extra traffic come from????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Hadn't thought of that. Good point!

In which case, I'd like to see AGS facilitating pedestrian traffic more. Quite an unnecessary backlog on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I was going to start a new thread but this one is probably the place....

Do people know of any Galway webcams, specifically ones that cover the main commuter roads? (I know there are one or two on Shop Street). It would be useful to be able to check which routes look the worst before leaving home/work this week, please post any links you might have.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was planning on going into Galway too but I want to bring some camera equipment and a tripod so it would be handy to have the car near by. With the 4th of July stuff going on will it be just as busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I drove from Ballybrit to Westside 2 hours ago across the bridge at Kingfisher, no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

car park on merchants road is open. get in early i'd say you'll be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Sconsey wrote: »
    Do people know of any Galway webcams, specifically ones that cover the main commuter roads? (I know there are one or two on Shop Street). It would be useful to be able to check which routes look the worst before leaving home/work this week, please post any links you might have.

No traffic cams I know of but the "Inrix" smartphone app has a good overview of the traffic situation in Galway. It uses mobile phone movements to determine the traffic. Google Maps actually does the same thing too but Inrix seems to cover a lot more Galway roads than google maps. The amount of roads covered depends on how busy it is (the busier the more roads are showing up with a colour).

Its driving time predictions are greatly underestimated though so don't rely on them. I just use the map feature to determine what is most likely to be the least slow way to get home :p The traffic colours seem fairly accurate, better than nothing in any case.

(I'm not affiliated with Inrix, just a happy user, besides it's free anyway). I wish they had a web service as well though, as far as I can see they only have the app. Would be handy to check it at work without taking the phone out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Only big delay I had yesterday evening was on Lr. Dominick Street across from Monroes because there was a crash. Went by the Cathedral and it wasn't too bad.

Advertisement