Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum to live in New Zealand

Options
  • 04-07-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

I have been offered a graduate engineering position with a company in Christchurch. The job pays $60,000 a year. I am married with 4 kids, could we survive in NZ on this. My wife could look for work after a few months but we would want to get the kids settled first. We are both on the dole here so we are not living it up here right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

38,000 EUR equiv though tax is not as high.

while costs differ up and down on average they're on a par with home.

You would come out with 40,800 after PAYE but you may have Kiwisaver (pension) on top of that, possibly child tax credit, not sure how that works.

I'm sure it's doable though would be tight and leave little room for manouver. If coming bring all your furniture if possible. unfurnished places are cheaper and much much more common. Rent 350-500 per week, power 250 a month with a big family I'd imagine, cars and insurance are cheap, you should pay less than 400 per year if got decent no claims,

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

My brother manages on that with 3 kids, however, he receives working for families (I think there are some minimum residency/visa requirements for this, I know of one Irish family who couldn't get it), so that makes a big difference.
    I think the inland revenue department (www.ird.govt.nz) may give some details of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Thanks for that link, I cant find out anything about if I would be entitled to it or not. It might only kick in after 2 years or something. I'll have a better look myself but does anybody know any more about this?
    EDIT: I just seen something, I think I have to be in country for at least 12 months. Ano other information still appreciated on this or other benefits I could look into. Every dollar will count for the first year or two.

Advertisement