Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump running when no taps on

• 04-07-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, I have a water pump that feeds all the water from immersion and upstairs cold feed through the house. I sometimes notice that the pump will activate for a second during the day even when there is not tap or water running. I cannot find any trace of a leak. Do you know what could be causing this? Could there be air in pipes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

cpbobo wrote: »
    Hi, I have a water pump that feeds all the water from immersion and upstairs cold feed through the house. I sometimes notice that the pump will activate for a second during the day even when there is not tap or water running. I cannot find any trace of a leak. Do you know what could be causing this? Could there be air in pipes?

Could be a dripping tap or ballvalve in the toilet passing slightly , it does not take much of a water loss to activate the pump , or it could be if its a negative head pump the pressure vessell might need to be recharged

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cpbobo

It is a negative head pump. How do you recharge the pressure vessle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

cpbobo wrote: »
    It is a negative head pump. How do you recharge the pressure vessle

It's a Shraeder valve -- looks like the valve on a car tyre. You can pump it up with a foot pump just as you would your car tyre.

Advertisement