Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Complaint Query

Options
  • 04-07-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Quick query for you all here.

I am in the process of making a complaint to Ulster Bank over an issue that arose between the two of us some time back. Not a big issue but an issue nonetheless.

I have received their reply refuting my complaint and referring me to the FSA if I wish to escalate the matter and enclosed a leaflet for the same.

I understand that if RBS wanted to work in Ireland that they do so under the control of the FSA but as they have branches here, are they not actually regulated by The Central Bank of Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Sounds odd. Ulster Bank in the Republic is regulated by the Central Bank and UB's own website correctly refers to the Financial Services Ombudsman as the next port of call if you're unhappy with the outome of your complaint to UB (here).

Were you corresponding with someone in the Republic, or someone in Britain or the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Sounds odd. Ulster Bank in the Republic is regulated by the Central Bank and UB's own website correctly refers to the Financial Services Ombudsman as the next port of call if you're unhappy with the outome of your complaint to UB (here).

Were you corresponding with someone in the Republic, or someone in Britain or the North?

Complaint started in ROI and the reply came from Soutend on Sea in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you got a stock reply and no one checked to see if it was relevant to you. Assuming that you're a customer of Ulster Bank ROI, then the complaint would be escalated to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

The only other thing I can think of is there some specific element of the service you were complaining about is provided by UB in the UK, but nothing springs to mind. And if that is the case, it would have been good practice to inform you the complaint would be dealt with by someone in the UK and not ROI.

But in answer to your initial query, UB ROI are regulated by the Central Bank, and they are under the remit of the Financial Services Ombudsman. If you want to escalate the matter, maybe give the Ombudsman office a call to see if they will accept the UK letter as a final response or does it need to come from UB ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

NuMarvel wrote: »

But in answer to your initial query, UB ROI are regulated by the Central Bank, and they are under the remit of the Financial Services Ombudsman. If you want to escalate the matter, maybe give the Ombudsman office a call to see if they will accept the UK letter as a final response or does it need to come from UB ROI.

Cheers for that.

I intend replying to their letter so will put a query in on that first and if still not happy call the Irish for clarity :)

Advertisement