Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters

• 04-07-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm a qualified post primary teacher (BA and PGDE). As we all know things aren’t too good on the jobs front at the moment and I’m considering doing a Masters to keep busy and to focus the mind.
    As far as increasing employability prospects and gaining a competitive advantage, would it be better to pursue a Masters relating to one of my teaching subjects (e.g. MA/MSc in Geography or Earth Science) or would it be more advisable to do an MA in Education. At some stage in the future I would like to move into teaching at third level.
    All comments/thoughts are welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭easterbride

The Dept no longer offers an extra allowance for a masters. Personally I would complete one in education as it enhances your prospect of promotion in the future and it is related to "education" ~ so if you are asked in an interview why is there a gap in your cv you can explain that you were upskilling, just my opinion. Good luck with whatever course you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Masters in your subject needed to teach it at third level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I would go for the one in Education as it will open doors to Assistant and Principal positions down the line. Yet if you are not long after qualifying and don't have a permanent position it may be wise to consider a master in a chosen subject.

The opinion of a Principal would be better than anything you will find here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Also some principals are going for MBA's so depending how serious you are with that, could be an option? There's MA's in Education Management these days too. If you could get a research masters in your chosen subject and do it with an educational 'slant' that would be very helpful for third level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

You need to decide before doing it whether you definitely want to teach at third level or not and would it be the education department or your subject department you would want to teach in. This is what will decide it for you. If you main in 2nd level, do it in education. If you go for third level, do it in your subject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KaiserLu

xtralong wrote: »
    I'm a qualified post primary teacher (BA and PGDE). As we all know things aren’t too good on the jobs front at the moment and I’m considering doing a Masters to keep busy and to focus the mind.
    As far as increasing employability prospects and gaining a competitive advantage, would it be better to pursue a Masters relating to one of my teaching subjects (e.g. MA/MSc in Geography or Earth Science) or would it be more advisable to do an MA in Education. At some stage in the future I would like to move into teaching at third level.

Just one thing; the entry requirements for most of the M. Ed. courses require at least 3-5 years teaching experience. So if you've less than that or are a NQT, you may gave difficulty getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

In my opinion the masters thing is wearing a bit thin when it comes to recruitment. I have seen several teachers with masters and phds come and go over the past few years.

You can have qualifications coming out of your ass but if your teaching isn't up to scratch they are no good to you at all.

A lot of people think that having a masters will make them more employable, your references from teaching experience are far more important imo and in the opinion of principals with whom i am acquainted.

As for what to do while you have no job i dont know. Spending thousands on a masters will make very little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

Many helpful suggestions and opinions here. The conclusion I have come to is that if I have to ask which masters I should be doing then I probably shouldn't be doing either. I need to take some time and do a little research before rushing into anything. Funny how many of you assumed I'm not working or that i'm a NQT. I've been teaching for five years and I'm in a full time position. The position isn't in a second level school and i'm not teaching the subject that made me want to get into teaching, so despite having a position the job satisfaction isn't what it could/should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Many helpful suggestions and opinions here. The conclusion I have come to is that if I have to ask which masters I should be doing then I probably shouldn't be doing either. I need to take some time and do a little research before rushing into anything. Funny how many of you assumed I'm not working or that i'm a NQT. I've been teaching for five years and I'm in a full time position. The position isn't in a second level school and i'm not teaching the subject that made me want to get into teaching, so despite having a position the job satisfaction isn't what it could/should be.

In fairness your first post did imply that you were short of work. If you are teachung that long one of the leadership/ management courses may be worth a look.

Of course a grad dip or whatever theyre called these days is cheaper and might give you a taste before you delve in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

To be fair. Look at what I've highlighted. I don't think it would be too much for anyone to assume that you were an unemployed NQT.

'I'm qualified...' that's how most NQTs start their posts to distinguish themselves from people just starting the PDE. Most teachers that are working just say they are working the rest is assumed.

On the masters front, do what you're interested in. Personally I am not interested in going for a management position down the road so an educational management masters would be fairly torturous to me, I'm doing one in Software Engineering instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

I only specified that i'm a qualified post primary teacher because I haven't actually worked in a mainstream second level school since qualifying. I'm fortunate to have a full time teaching post at the moment but it is my intention to move into mainstream teaching whenever I can. Unfortunately the risk of leaving a full time job to only pick up a maternity or sick leave post here and there is too great, especially when the rent needs paid. The idea of doing the masters was to make the most of my time while waiting for the ideal post to come up in a mainstream school.
    I appreciate all the comments so far.

Advertisement