Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepaid Credit Cards

Options
  • 04-07-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

There's so many of these prepaid credit cars out there at the moment it's confusing trying to pick one does anyone know if there's a site that compares these or has anyone got recommendations for which one is best. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Thanks for that. From what I can see the Moneybookers one seems to be the cheapest but is it the best, are there any draw backs that aren't obvious and who actually operates the card is it a main back somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

i cant say how good moneybookers is.

but i have a neteller prepaid mastercard.

havent used it much since i got a UB mastercard, but used to use it regularly years ago.

you are charged a small percentage for lodging cash onto it. 1.75% if i am not mistaken.

there is no annual fee for having the card, but if you have 14 consecutive months of inactivity on the card you are incur fees.

also, if you want to cancel the card, there is a 15 euro fee.

you can also choose what currency you want you card in. dollars, sterling, euros, and many others. handy if you spend a lot of time abroad in another country.

id recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I can recommend Moneybookers, no problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And as long as you understand that with moneybookers / neteller your money can be gone within second because they are not covered by any sort of bank guarantee scheme and accept that risk they are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

The danger of loosing your money is a concern alright but Moneybookers seems ok as far as I can see, then again I won't be putting that much on it any way. So I think I'll give them a go and sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You only have to transfer to your MB card as needed, there'd be no point keeping large sums on it unless you had a pending purchase.

It's a good card to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

gears wrote: »
    There's so many of these prepaid credit cars Thanks

something like prepaid credit card doesn't exist at all :mad:
    it's called prepaid card (Mastercard or Visa) and it allows you to spend your money only, up to the available balance on your card, if you wanna spend more, you have to top up your card account.
    credit card (Mastercard or Visa) allows to make transaction without your money, up to available credit limit
    it makes a huge difference between those cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

gears wrote: »
    Thanks for that. From what I can see the Moneybookers one seems to be the cheapest but is it the best, are there any draw backs that aren't obvious and who actually operates the card is it a main back somewhere?

I'm having a problem with moneybookers ATM. I ordered something online, never received. Supplier advised me to do a chargeback on my card which they would agree to. Great you would think.

Today Moneybookers told me my chargeback has been refused. Again I contact supplier. Supplier says their bank hasn't heard from Moneybookers. It appears they just never bothered contacting them. I haven't a clue where to go from here. Anyone any ideas?

So that is my experience wih Moneybookers.

Mods-
    Would this be better suited to its own thread as it's my own problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

CHargeback won't work on a prepaid card because they are not a credit card. The card company isn't equally liable for the purchase as the purchase is not on credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

In terms of a prepaid card, I have a Kalixa. Fiver to buy, no annual fee, cheap to load - free if you use Maestro, and it's very cheap for cash abroad. You get a great rate and only have to pay about £2 to withdraw abroad.

Also avoids the Ryanair charge if you use it on a ryanair site that's not uk or Ireland. i.e. travelling return to Paris from Dublin - book 2 singles, one off ryanair.ie and one off ryanair.fr and you'll only pay the charge on the outbound flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

CHargeback won't work on a prepaid card because they are not a credit card. The card company isn't equally liable for the purchase as the purchase is not on credit.

Understand what you're saying but MB do have this available on their cards (it's one of the options when you enter your account). In this case the supplier fully accepts that the goods went missing and is willing to agree to a chargeback on the card.

Why offer the facility then not honour it? Just seems strange to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

In terms of a prepaid card, I have a Kalixa. Fiver to buy, no annual fee, cheap to load - free if you use Maestro, and it's very cheap for cash abroad. You get a great rate and only have to pay about £2 to withdraw abroad.

Also avoids the Ryanair charge if you use it on a ryanair site that's not uk or Ireland. i.e. travelling return to Paris from Dublin - book 2 singles, one off ryanair.ie and one off ryanair.fr and you'll only pay the charge on the outbound flight.

Unfortunatly Kalixa is only available in the UK/Germany/Italy but not Ireland.

Advertisement