Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minced Lamb?

Options
  • 04-07-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where I can get minced lamb, I've never seen it anywhere and need it for a recipe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where are you based? In Dublin, there's an Asian shop on Mary Street (http://www.asianfood.ie/) that has a butchers at the back that has minced lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Alun wrote: »
    Where are you based? In Dublin, there's an Asian shop on Mary Street (http://www.asianfood.ie/) that has a butchers at the back that has minced lamb.

Limerick.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Limerick.
    Ah, can't help you there then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Tescos normally have it prepacked and your local butcher may have it available on the counter. If your butcher is very helpful they may mince it for your on the spot from pieces of shoulder. Helps if you are looking for a reasonable amount as the machine will have to be washed down before mincing anything else.

Tescos normally have it prepacked and your local butcher may have it available on the counter. If your butcher is very helpful they may mince it for your on the spot from pieces of shoulder. Helps if you are looking for a reasonable amount as the machine will have to be washed down before mincing anything else.

Thanks I'll pop to the local butcher and see if they will do it, if not then I'll try Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I just ask my butcher to mince some , and he does so ... I expect any decent butcher would do the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tesco have it at the moment, even my local terrible Tesco 'Express' & would regularly pick it up in Supervalu as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

every butcher or any good supervalu butcher counter would defo do this for ya no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

My local supervalue always has it - no need to go to meat counter as it;s normally on the shelf.

Love minced lamb for Shepards pie or Mousakka.... mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My tesco does it. It is with the lamb chops etc, this might sound obvious but some might go looking in amongst all the various beef mince packets, of which there are loads, and might figure all mince is together. I think I only noticed they had pork & lamb mince last year.
    every butcher
    Any decent one should, in some other thread 1 or 2 were refused by a butcher.

Depending on the recipe you might be able to just sub in beef mince if lamb proves difficult to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Most Tescos do it as does Superquinn. I use it to make lamb koftas and just to warn you it's a little more delicate and softer in texture than other meats like minced beef so treat it a bit easier!

Merkin wrote: »
    Most Tescos do it as does Superquinn. I use it to make lamb koftas and just to warn you it's a little more delicate and softer in texture than other meats like minced beef so treat it a bit easier!

Thank you for the tip, I am looking for it to make Kofta's, going to pick it up tomorrow (hopefully).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I just ask my butcher to mince some , and he does so ... I expect any decent butcher would do the same
    +1.

I've seen it in Aldi and Dunnes Stores. It's on Tesco.ie for €4.29 for 500g.

I prefer the mince from the butchers though, the prepacked mince has a lot of fat/grizzle in it I find.

You lot must be really lucky, it's as rare as hens' teeth in any supermarket I've ever been to. While I have seen it occasionally, I certainly wouldn't rely on it being there if I had cooking plans that required it.

Advertisement