Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ACTA was rejected.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Sherlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Freedom win

<goes to torrent site to steal movies>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Freedom win

<goes to torrent site to steal movies>

Did you read the bill? :pac:

(Has nothing to do with piracy...well a little...thought it was primarily for the spread of copyrighted material!? I "skimmed" it....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Common sense prevails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

good to hear - there is too much over regulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

One small victory I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sherlock if you're listening..........

Na-na na na-na

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I'm starting to like the EU again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Does this mean we we're getting a new Torrents forum on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

So maybe Lisbon wasn't such a bad idea after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sherlock will never see this news because i dont think he understands the internet.

I think he was trying to get it setup with his CD from Ireland Online Live.

squod wrote: »
    Sherlock if you're listening..........

Na-na na na-na

You're missing a "na". Sorry..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Shryke wrote: »

Counting fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dean09 wrote: »
    Counting fail.

Na na na nana HEY! Nana nana!

Na-na na-na NA-na as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

For anybody interested, here's how our representatives voted.

For:
    Liam Aylward
    Nessa Childers
    Proinsias De Rossa
    Pat Gallagher
    Marian Harkin
    Alan Kelly

Against:
    Jim Higgins
    Sean Kelly
    Mairead McGuinness
    Gay Mitchell

Absent:
    Joe Higgins

Abstained:
    Brain Crowley

Source: http://www.votewatch.eu/cx_vote_details.php?id_act=1189&euro_vot_valoare=&euro_vot_rol_euro_grup=&euro_vot_rol_euro_tara=&vers=2&order_by=euro_parlamentar_nume&order=ASC&last_order_by=euro_parlamentar_nume&limit=0&offset=0&nextorder=ASC&euro_tara_id=18&euro_grup_id=&euro_vot_valoare=&euro_vot_rol_euro_grup=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭Archeron

Na-na na-na NA-na

BATMAN!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Source
    The Parliament voted by 478 to 39 to reject the treaty, which aimed to prevent copyright infringement in both digital and real objects but became mired in controversy after secret negotiations. There were, however, 165 abstentions.
    Jim Killock, of the Open Rights Group, hailed the move as "a tremendous victory for the movement, for democracy and for every European citizen that has demanded that their rights be respected. ACTA must be abandoned. The Commission must drop its calls to try again."
    Earlier, a 19-12 Committee vote against the treaty had effectively ensured the full European Parliament would vote it down. Rapporteur David Martin MEP had previously told the Telegraph that ACTA was 'dead in the water'.
    ACTA aims to protect the intellectual property in both digital and physical goods, and has proved divisive because it was negotiated largely in secret and had originally proposed criminal sanctions for those who used the internet to break copyright. It would tighten up the enforcement and definition of copyright theft, which is particularly controversial for web users who routinely share digital versions of music, films and software.
    At one point in its negotiation, rumours had suggested that ACTA could mean iPods were examined at international borders for pirated music, although this suggestion was rejected by those involved in the process as only a very preliminary proposal.

Although ACTA could theoretically come into force because some nations have signed it independently, without global agreement the treaty would effectively become irrelevant.
    Members of the Polish parliament wore 'Anonymous' masks to protest against the ACTA bill..

It seems some politicians actually listen to the people that voted them into power. No such luck here, eh? Haha, I'd love to see the look on Sherlocks face, the little rat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yaaaaay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Sykk wrote: »
    I'd love to see the look on Sherlocks face, the little rat.

Ah, he's not that b...

I mean, he's got somethi...

Nah, nothing.

He's just a gormless prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cool, now bring back megavideo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

So, how many have emailed Sherlock to let him know?..Just in case he has'nt been online ;)

I'm sure he'd love a few things to read when he logs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

listermint wrote: »
    Sherlock will never see this news because i dont think he understands the internet.

shouting into the mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Just re-followed him on twitter to see his response, he hasn't tweeted in 5 days.
    He's still using the smugest shít eating grin profile picture though. I feel ill just looking at it.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Just re-followed him on twitter to see his response, he hasn't tweeted in 5 days.
    He's still using the smugest shít eating grin profile picture though. I feel ill just looking at it.

Ya,I just checked his Twitter too. Is he in hiding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

478 to 39!

God damn, that's a fine margin of win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Seachmall wrote: »
    478 to 39!

Six of our ministers voted in favour of it which I find rather shocking...

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Six of our ministers voted in favour of it which I find rather shocking...

is it wrong that i'm not?

At this stage i'm used to idiotic choices made by morons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Rheo

478 to 39!

Yup. Concentrated win.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MissKK

Haelium wrote: »

For:
    Liam Aylward
    Nessa Childers
    Proinsias De Rossa
    Pat Gallagher
    Marian Harkin
    Alan Kelly

Against:
    Jim Higgins
    Sean Kelly
    Mairead McGuinness
    Gay Mitchell

Absent:
    Joe Higgins

Abstained:
    Brain Crowley

Source: http://www.votewatch.eu/cx_vote_details.php?id_act=1189&euro_vot_valoare=&euro_vot_rol_euro_grup=&euro_vot_rol_euro_tara=&vers=2&order_by=euro_parlamentar_nume&order=ASC&last_order_by=euro_parlamentar_nume&limit=0&offset=0&nextorder=ASC&euro_tara_id=18&euro_grup_id=&euro_vot_valoare=&euro_vot_rol_euro_grup=[/QUOTE]

Well this can't be right as Joe Higgins, Proinsias De Rossa and Alan Kelly are no longer MEPs! This must be an old vote?! As far as I know only the Fine Gael MEPs voted in favour of ACTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I thought the Irish one was SOPA and the world-wide one (or at least the EU) one was ACTA? So we still have SOPA to deal with?

MissKK wrote: »

You're right! Date of vote: 24.11.2010

I thought the Irish one was SOPA and the world-wide one (or at least the EU) one was ACTA? So we still have SOPA to deal with?

"Irish SOPA" passed and is currently legislation.

ACTA, a European copyright protection initiative, was rejected today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

"Irish SOPA" passed and is currently legislation.

ACTA, a European copyright protection initiative, was rejected today.

Alright so the "Irish SOPA" is active and the EU ACTA was shot down?

Maybe I'm missing a lot but does it even matter to Ireland what happened with ACTA since we already have SOPA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Alright so the "Irish SOPA" is active and the EU ACTA was shot down?

Maybe I'm missing a lot but does it even matter to Ireland what happened with ACTA since we already have SOPA?

Don't worry about it boss, sure the senior gardaí were all let go, they closed about 30-40% of their stations and closed the templemore gardaí training for the next 3 -4 years.

What this means it there is no police force present in Ireland anymore so you can literraly get away with murder

+ if you do get caught you'll be out within minutes thnx to our justice system so all is good

Absolutely, they're two different pieces of legislation that deal with separate, although connected, issues. ACTA is far broader than "Irish SOPA" and being an EU initiative it would have had a much further reach (it also deals with much more than just online piracy).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Back to posting a full article then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Biggins wrote: »

Ask Mr. Sherlock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Where's The Rat? Why isn't he giving some sort of Rat reaction to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Biggins wrote: »

I don't see why only parts of articles could be posted in the first place. Surely, as long as you link to the author's original piece, then there's no copyright issue?

My own reading of the SI is that not much really changes. It just discusses about how the copyright owner can seek an injuction for a breach of the copyright, which was surely already available.

I think that ACTA (and the real SOPA, for that matter) were a lot more threatening than the SI brought in last March.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

hardCopy wrote: »
    Ask Mr. Sherlock

I know what I expect that fool to say.
    ..Defend his position and never admit he was too quick in rushing his daftness into law - despite many heads telling him it was wrong!
    A politician admitting they were wrong? Thats a rarity indeed!

By my understanding (open to be wrong/corrected), the ACTA had within it elements of the SOPA act.
    So IF the ACTA is now defeated and the Irish courts take a case against someone under the SOPA act - the person accused might take their case further to the European courts and have a better chance of having an Irish charge/conviction quashed.
    (Not that the Irish fools Government will admit this to the public!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Paparazzo wrote: »

Nessa Childers' photo will take your mind off that snake.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/denhaag/video/nessa_childers%20.jpg

:eek: :eek:

(She voted FOR)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

(She voted FOR)

link?

I got a mail from her saying she voted against ACTA

...ahhhh, I see reading back in the thread, the link to the site listing who voted for/against was from way back in 2010.

would like to see who voted for/against it today, nail their asses come election time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

For:
    Liam Aylward
    Nessa Childers
    Proinsias De Rossa
    Pat Gallagher
    Marian Harkin
    Alan Kelly

Against:
    Jim Higgins
    Sean Kelly
    Mairead McGuinness
    Gay Mitchell

Absent:
    Joe Higgins

Abstained:
    Brain Crowley

Source: http://www.votewatch.eu/cx_vote_details.php?id_act=1189&euro_vot_valoare=&euro_vot_rol_euro_grup=&euro_vot_rol_euro_tara=&vers=2&order_by=euro_parlamentar_nume&order=ASC&last_order_by=euro_parlamentar_nume&limit=0&offset=0&nextorder=ASC&euro_tara_id=18&euro_grup_id=&euro_vot_valoare=&euro_vot_rol_euro_grup=

As has been pointed out this is the wrong vote, here is the vote that took place yesterday. All Irish representatives either voted no or abstained.

http://www.votewatch.eu/cx_vote_details.php?id_act=3055&euro_vot_valoare=&euro_vot_rol_euro_grup=&euro_vot_rol_euro_tara=&vers=2&order_by=euro_parlamentar_nume&order=ASC&last_order_by=euro_parlamentar_nume&limit=0&offset=0&nextorder=ASC&euro_tara_id=18&euro_grup_id=&euro_vot_valoare=&euro_vot_rol_euro_grup=

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    My own reading of the SI is that not much really changes. It just discusses about how the copyright owner can seek an injuction for a breach of the copyright, which was surely already available.

The SI made intermediaries responsible for the actions of individuals and allowed copyright holders file injunctions against that intermediary.

That means if I decided to paste the words to a copyrighted poem or code to a copyrighted software right here Boards.ie immediately becomes liable for my actions.

Previously there was a process of informing the intermediary of the infraction, or in a worst case scenario having the courts decide the liability but no more. Now the intermediary is culpable.

We had a system that worked. Now we have a system that threatens shit on everything it comes into contact with.

Interesting, looking at how the parties voted

AGAINST:
    Liam Aylward FF
    Pat The Cope FF
    Nessa Childers LAB
    Emer Costello LAB
    Phil Prendergast LAB
    Marian Harkin IND
    Paul Murphy SOC

ABSTAINED
    Jim Higgins FG
    Sean Kelly FG
    Mairead McGuinness FG
    Gay Mitchell FG

DIDN'T VOTE
    Brian Crowley FF

So no Labour supported it despite he who shall not be named going ahead with the "Irish Sopa" but all FGers went together and abstained.

and the guy who didn't vote has only been there for a third of the days he should be so i guess that should be expected of him now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

listermint wrote: »

nah thats too complicated for him.... he'll have to go to pc world to get one of their "experts....lol" to do it for him :D

Advertisement