Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Armagh Manager

• 04-07-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

I see Tony mcEntee has ruled himself out of the running for the new Armagh manager position.
    There is a lot of talk about recruiting from within the county and even from within the 2002 All Ireland winning team.
    Anyone got any suggestions as to who they think would do a good job...or who wouldnt and why.
    I'd personally like to see McGeeney take it but I think he's tied up with Kildare for the next few years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I see Tony mcEntee has ruled himself out of the running for the new Armagh manager position.
    There is a lot of talk about recruiting from within the county and even from within the 2002 All Ireland winning team.
    Anyone got any suggestions as to who they think would do a good job...or who wouldnt and why.
    I'd personally like to see McGeeney take it but I think he's tied up with Kildare for the next few years.

You know almost as a knee jerk reaction I thought of geezer, but in reality I think he needs a good few years working at Kildare or the like to get some real experience under his belt.

That is not to say he has not worked wonders with Kildare at all but I think a few more years and he would be a very formidable coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Can see McGeeney going for it. 5 years with Kildare and nothing won, he's improved the team but maybe it's as far as he can be with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

McGeeney is definitely in his last year with Kildare now. Seems the perfect time for him to go to Armagh but one might imagine he'd want a year or two out of management after being in the game for so long. I'd say he'd be great in the job if he wanted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

GAAman wrote: »

You know almost as a knee jerk reaction I thought of geezer, but in reality I think he needs a good few years working at Kildare or the like to get some real experience under his belt.

That is not to say he has not worked wonders with Kildare at all but I think a few more years and he would be a very formidable coach.
    I dunno , given kildares capitulation to meath at the weekend, geezer might be available soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does McGeeny live in Kildare/Dublin at the moment? I assume the commute wouldn't be the end of the world for him.

A shame McEntee isn't interested, would love to see a county team bringing the sort of verve that Cross have over the last couple of years. If his stated reasons for not wanting the job are honest - i.e. he doesn't feel he has enough experience - then fairplay to him for his humility. Hope it's not a case of people being ambivalent or worse about their county team compared to the club team as seems to exist in some counties though, although I have no idea if that's the way it is with Cross/Armagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does McGeeny live in Kildare/Dublin at the moment? I assume the commute wouldn't be the end of the world for him.

A shame McEntee isn't interested, would love to see a county team bringing the sort of verve that Cross have over the last couple of years.

McGeeney played for a Dublin club when he played for Armagh so the commute wouldn't be a problem. He used to train for an hour before everyone else arrived and leave last.

The McEntee's set up a business, something to do with heart defibrillators so maybe they have enough to be at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

keane2097 wrote: »

He could car pool with Seanie??

I don't know lads I seem to be in the minority, but knowing what I know about Armagh football from living up here I would say it would go one of two ways.

1: Geezer spends more time either with Kildare or another team for a few years then goes to the Armagh spot having got a good bit of experience and has a good run

2: He goes straight from Kildare to Armagh, has a crap run of a year or two and is out on his ear.

If there is one thing North football people are guilty of, it is having a short memory and I say that with no bad intentions. Look at what Harte did with Tyrone and yet there were people calling for his head when Tyrone did not win their fourth All Ireland. Having said that Dublin football used to be the same and it is only in the last few years (From Pillar to Gilroy) that this has changed thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

To be fair to Armagh they very much played Cross-ball on Sunday. Dark arts, physical stuff and quick, accurate deep balls to Jamie Clarke. The reality is the simplicity and directness of Cross's style just won't cut it against good inter-county teams, whereas you don't need to be great at too many tricks to beat most club sides.

Cross are good but their style won't solve many of Armagh's problems. The whole division between Cross and county needs both sides to grow up and cop on, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DFX2011

give the job to mcentee and i can see the cross players come to the fore..

also i think mcgeeney has taken kildare as far as he can.. they going to take about 3 yrs before their u-21 of last yr or yr before are ready to challenge... biggest mistake he made was moving doyle out to midfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Syferus wrote: »
    The reality is the simplicity and directness of Cross's style just won't cut it against good inter-county teams, whereas you don't need to be great at too many tricks to beat most club sides.

I'm open to correction, but didn't Dublin last year employ a simple direct game, based on accurate kick passing into their attack?

I'm open to correction, but didn't Dublin last year employ a simple direct game, based on accurate kick passing into their attack?

The issue there being Dublin have more than one player that is a serious scoring threat. Jamie Clarke is a fantastic player but you can adjust to him when the other five guys are just there to spread the defence and pass the ball to him.

Even as far as crowding the middle like Cross (which was what salvaged them in the AI final this year) was tried by Armagh on Sunday, they had five midfielders on by the end of the game.

I'd argue that the one thing Cross does have over Armagh is wee Osin, who still can boot the ball over from all sorts of angles. Armagh are already playing Cross football, they simply don't have the players yet to make that style work against inter-county teams.

The issue there being Dublin have more than one player that is a serious scoring threat. Jamie Clarke is a fantastic player but you can adjust to him when the other five guys are just there to spread the defence and pass the ball to him.

Even as far as crowding the middle like Cross (which was what salvaged them in the AI final this year) was tried by Armagh on Sunday, they had five midfielders on by the end of the game.

I'd argue that the one thing Cross does have over Armagh is wee Osin, who still can boot the ball over from all sorts of angles. Armagh are already playing Cross football, they simply don't have the players yet to make that style work against inter-county teams.

Yes, but that style of play can and indeed will work, if you have the players to implement it. Crossmaglen do at the level they are playing - Armagh patently do not at the level they are playing.

Paul Grimley has been confirmed
    ArmaghGAA wrote:
    Is mian le Coiste Chontae Ard Mhacha a fhógairt gur roghnaíodh Pól Ó Garmailed’aonghuth mar bhainisteoir ar fhoireann shinsir peile an chontae ag cruinniú anocht. Beidh Breandán Ó hAodha ag feidhmiú mar chúntóir aige. Guíonn an coiste gach rath ar a gcuid oibre agus táthar ag súil go bhfaighidh siad luach a saothair le linn dóibh a bheith i gceannasaíocht ar an fhoireann.

Coiste Chontae Ard Mhacha wish to announce the appointment of Paul Grimley as manager of the senior football team which was unanimously agreed at their meeting held in Morgan Athletic Grounds on Thursday 26th July. Brendan Hughes has been appointed as assistant. The county board would like to express our best wishes to them as they begin their work and hope they achieve the success the county and its supporters yearn for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Lads how long is Grimley and hughes term for? One or two year contract does anybody know?

Seems a move destined to keep Cross and county at loggerheads. I'm sure they'd have wanted Tony McEntee but he was quick to rule himself out. I really don't know how much hope you can harbour for Grimley going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

GAAman wrote: »
    Paul Grimley has been confirmed

Here's hoping Paul can do the job. There seems to a lot of (very justified) faith in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Seems a move destined to keep Cross and county at loggerheads. I'm sure they'd have wanted Tony McEntee but he was quick to rule himself out. I really don't know how much hope you can harbour for Grimley going forward.

Why? He has a great track record. Or do you think he's just keeping the seat warm for someone else in two or three years

All the very best to Big Paul and Brendan. Paul is an Armagh man through and through, who will do what is best for the County. If everyone else does likewise, then we can all move forward.

By the way, the County Board vote was unanimous - which of course covers every club delegate!
    Lads how long is Grimley and hughes term for? One or two year contract does anybody know?

Initially one year, with a review to take place at the end of that period.

Here's hoping Paul can do the job. There seems to a lot of (very justified) faith in him.

Agreed, I had the pleasure of him taking my team for a special training session before and when I say he ran us into the ground, I mean he ran us into the ground, grabbed a shovel, dug us out, and ran us into the ground again haha!

Someone worried Geezer might be poached shortly?? :p

• Advertisement

Much more likely that they're keeping the door open for Tony McEntee after Cross's three-in-a-row attempt ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

breaking news

Paul Grimley has finalised his management and backroom team for the coming season. Paul will be joined by Kieran McGeeney, Peter McDonnell and Martin McQuillan. Julie Davis will be the strength and conditioning coach and James Doyle will be speed coach. The Armagh County Board of the GAA wishes our management team and our players every success in the season ahead.

Advertisement