Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing/Blocking a Number

Options
  • 04-07-2012 2:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So a friend of mine has been getting some pretty nasty text messages/voicemails recently, and she's trying to figure out the best way of stopping it. The messages are just petty and insulting, rather then threatening, but she wants them stopped. She thinks she might know who it is (or a friend of that person), but isn't certain. I've said she should go to the police, but she's not quite ready to do that yet.

Basically, is there any way to completely block a number from getting through to her, without going to the police? Or if not, is there any way of finding out who the person is, just by having their number?

Not sure if this is the right place, or even if this is something anyone can help with (possibly being legal advice?), but would appreciate it if anyone has any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Some phones can restrict numbers, or some networks offer the option. What phone and network does she use.

The handiest thing would be to report it go to the guards

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

She's has an iPhone 3 and is on o2 (i think), but they didn't seem to be able to do much when she called them. I'm guessing they need the guards to tell them it would be ok to do something like this, which is understandable. I've suggested going to the guards again, and if she gets anymore i think she will.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

She can stop the sms message by using the blockit service:> http://www.o2online.ie/o2/help/article.php?aid=3633

Their is an app iBlacklist iirc that would restrict the number. Phone would have to be jailbroken

Advertisement