Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Disc or not to Disc?

Options
  • 04-07-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for the last 12 months. Ever since ogling over the wheel set ups at Roth. I seemed to be one of the only plebs without deep rims and/or disc. I have never used any other race wheels than the Shimano DA C50 carbon clinchers and while they are genuinely good wheels I believe there is more time to be gained from deeper rims or a disc. I read a whole lot about it and it appears after good set up and other things a circa 800 front and 800-disc rear (various brands) will shave up to 60 secs per hour. That’s min 5 minutes in an IM.

Aesthetics:
    No brainer, they look great but I cannot justify such a spend on looks alone. Unless I had the cash to get a Scott Plasma first

Gains:
    The Pros generally (I’ve checked out 100s of pics) run 400-800 front and 800-Disc rear. Shimano C50/C75 combos are popular for windy courses. Men tend to use deeper rims than women. I get that half of them are probably sponsored but still, deeper rims seems to be favoured. 5 mins over an IM could be the difference between a slot and a roll down LOL

Cost:
    Are Zipp sub9s really that good or are you shelling out for a name? Also why would you buy a disc for €1k+ of a disc cover for €100. Are Discs going to gather dust on shelves as every tom dick and harry gets a disc cover for their 808? Would you really put a disc cover on a 5k bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

there is a shop in Dublin, who get in ex pro gear and have a number of Disc wheels at a decent price. and getting good reviews from folk who have purchased.

http://kinetixproducts.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=71_93

I am looking at Deep section wheels, and currently investigating some shops in China who sell unbranded wheels for a good bit less than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Always a disc, always a disc. Thats why I'm raging that the *&*^* in CycleSuperStore fvked mine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    Always a disc, always a disc. Thats why I'm raging that the *&*^* in CycleSuperStore fvked mine
    `
    Did you not say on another thread that if you were buying again you'd get 808s plus a disc cover? :confused:

pgibbo wrote: »
    `
    Did you not say on another thread that if you were buying again you'd get 808s plus a disc cover? :confused:

Sorry - I mean a disc as in either a faired 808 style or an actual disc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Sorry - I mean a disc as in either a faired 808 style or an actual disc

So why would you go for 808 covered over a full disc??

• Advertisement

So why would you go for 808 covered over a full disc??

Cause you get most of the benefits of a disc and its cheaper (assuming you have an 808)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

And you don't have to carry a third wheel to races abroad which most bike boxes cant accommodate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have to say personally since i fitted the disc cover i have not noticed any difference really:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Guys, do you find discs hard to control in windy conditions? How windy does it have to be to notice deeper rims, say 80mm to a disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Guys, do you find discs hard to control in windy conditions? How windy does it have to be to notice deeper rims, say 80mm to a disc?

A disc is easier to control in the wind than a 60mm up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

As I posted in the disc cover thread - I find the disc rear and 808 front easier and better to handle in windy conditions vs 808 front and rear.

I haven't removed my disc cover since fitting and have no intentions of it.

It enables more of a lean to aid control vs 808 rear where the front seemed to have less stability and require steering adjustments against wind.

Prob 2 windy races this year were Valentia and Joey Hannan.
    Not the best gauge but happy so far.
    Do it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

some people would argue that a disc cover or spoked discs like the hed, are better for an Ironman than a full disc ( more give in spoked wheels) more relaxed body. being somebody who believes that the best bike I have ever used for an Ironman was a softride,
    I would not disagree that the more relaxed you come of the bike the better it is.
    So one could almost argue a disc cover Could be better for full IMs.
    and if you have a deep dish wheel its a no brainer in terms of value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

peter kern wrote: »
    some people would argue that a disc cover or spoked discs like the hed, are better for an Ironman than a full disc ( more give in spoked wheels) more relaxed body. being somebody who believes that the best bike I have ever used for an Ironman was a softride,
    I would not disagree that the more relaxed you come of the bike the better it is.

We agree Peter :)

peter kern wrote: »

Rich Brady was always of the same opinion - spoked wheels for IMs was what he always said.

Advertisement