Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-Athlon Swimsuit

Options
  • 04-07-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Tri-Athlons and i'm looking to pick up some gear. I did the Tri-Athlone Sprint distance there and enjoyed it no end.

Im after;

- A swim suit (I'm 6ft 1in and 73kgs)
    - A tri suit to wear under it.

Also if anyone knows anything about swimming I could use a few basic pointers. I have been told i'm a 'sinker' and i'm spending too much energy trying to keep my body above water. My thinking is my head should be looking 5-6 feet ahead under water then do three strokes and take a breath.

Any help appreciated. Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Tri-Athlons and i'm looking to pick up some gear. I did the Tri-Athlone Sprint distance there and enjoyed it no end.

Im after;

- A swim suit (I'm 6ft 1in and 73kgs)
    - A tri suit to wear under it.

Also if anyone knows anything about swimming I could use a few basic pointers. I have been told i'm a 'sinker' and i'm spending too much energy trying to keep my body above water. My thinking is my head should be looking 5-6 feet ahead under water then do three strokes and take a breath.

Any help appreciated. Cheers! :)

Best bet for a wet suit is to try them on in a shop. Base2Race and Amphibia King have a selection and it's wrth trying them on rather than buying on the internet as they are made to fit slightly different across the manufacturers.

Tri suits can be got from the same places but if you are joining a club it might be worth hanging on and getting the team kit.

By looking forward you are pushing your chest up causing your legs to sink. Try looking straight down when swimming in the pool. In open water you'll need to look up to sight but no need in a pool. If you feel your legs sinking consciously stop swimming and try and push your chest down in the water to address your balance and bring them back up. It'll take a while but you'll eventually be able to keep your legs up and rectify whilst swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

[QUOTE=Adam.Hynes250;79556007I have been told i'm a 'sinker' and i'm spending too much energy trying to keep my body above water. My thinking is my head should be looking 5-6 feet ahead under water then do three strokes and take a breath.

Any help appreciated. Cheers! :)[/QUOTE]

Just wondering if those that told you about being a 'sinker' offered a remedy to go about fixing it ?

My 2c
    Work on improving your kick - regular, shallow kick, from the hip and pointing your toes and trying not to bend your knee. Done appropriately this will bring your hips up sufficiently. In the pool, you can help this by NOT wearing running shorts or the like and going for something like speedo's or jammers.

When your face is in the water, sea or pool, Id suggest looking 1 or so metres ahead of you - the water line should be between the top of your goggles and forehead.

Again, this is just my opinion. Its D'internet after all and there are loads of em. If you've a triathlon club near you that swim as a group with someone on the deck it might save you some time by having someone look at your stroke regularly.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Adam.Hynes250

Thanks for the reply, I tried keeping my head faced down in the water and yes it gave me a very noticeable improvement, my legs weren't sinking and I was able to swim much longer than usual. So that worked anyway. Yes I like the sound of swimming as a group so I train with others and fine tune my swim.I'm living in South County Meath so i think the nearest club to me would be the Fingal Club am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks for the reply, I tried keeping my head faced down in the water and yes it gave me a very noticeable improvement, my legs weren't sinking and I was able to swim much longer than usual. So that worked anyway. Yes I like the sound of swimming as a group so I train with others and fine tune my swim.I'm living in South County Meath so i think the nearest club to me would be the Fingal Club am I right?

What about Tri An Mhi? www.trianmhi.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Depends where abouts in South County Meath you are.

All our training is from the NAC so if you're Ratoath direction we're not too far away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement