Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exercising when hungover

• 04-07-2012 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭

Can exercising (running, or even just a light jog) make you feel much better after a night on the tear, or will it just make your hangover worse?

And I'm not talking about "I'm a little tired" hungover, I mean those days were you barely feel like getting off the couch.

I like to run myself a good bit but my routine is constantly affected by nights out and I miss a days training the day after. Sometimes after a two day session you can go a full 3 days with no training.

So people of AH in your experience would you recommend that bit of running on a hungover day or is it better to sit it out and wait for the horrors to pass :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I find the cycle to work after a night out a great way to help blow off the cobwebs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Your body does most of it's work in the 3 days after a workout. Consuming alcohol effectively nullifies any work you've done in the gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Isn't dehydration the main cause of a hangover effects? Sweating wouldn't help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I find 30 mins or so cardio helps alright, followed by steam and sauna. However if it's a bad hangover this would be impossible for me. Had 5 pints last night so a bit of a head on me this morning but did 30 mins cardio at lunch and sweated a lot but feel far better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yeah i find a trip to the gym makes me feel more energized and awake and as long as you keep drinking plenty of water in the gym and after you should feel great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

No point in my opinion.

You're not going to be able to give 100%. Get plenty of good food into you and wait 'til the next day and let your body recover a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

going to the gym makes me feel worse, just like last week, it made my hangover even worse as the day went on! the only solution is to drink less on a night out but lets face it, that NEVER happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well I don't see why it would?

A hangover usually leaves your body in need of rest. Hence the "sleep it off" method that people swear by.

If anything it'd make you feel worse. Mostly because your body needs rest and you're not giving it the rest and putting it under more stress by hitting the gym.

Just don't drink as much and then hit the gym the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I work up a good sweat puking the lining of my stomach onto the floor beside the bed in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bad Panda wrote: »
    No point in my opinion.

You're not going to be able to give 100%. Get plenty of good food into you and wait 'til the next day and let your body recover a little.

Unfortunately for me, good food and hangovers don't go together. I really only eat crisps, rashers etc when I'm hungover.

I find jogging a bit of a struggle when I'm hungover and my times are always slower but once I have the shower after it, I generally feel a bit better (with emphasis on the bit)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Depends on sleep in my opinion. I can have a fairly intense workout after a bender providing I have sufficient sleep.

If I'm taking drugs coke e's MDMA etc I don't sleep so good resulting in terrible workouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If I was dying I wouldnt bother but If it was just a mild grogginess then Id go for a half hour run. It wakes you up and makes you feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

The only real cure for a hangover is a good shít. Instant relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Consume two bananas orally. Drink a lot of water. Take some painkillers. Wait two hours. Repeat.

The problem with having the **** is your farts don't smell half as mental as before.

****ting loses the intensity of my farts. Know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I find the repeated brisk walk/semi run to the toilet to puke my ring up gives me all the exercise I need after a heavy night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Consume two bananas orally. Drink a lot of water. Take some painkillers. Wait two hours. Repeat.

I would hope thats how you consume a banana

4 or 5 pints works a treat also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You're only killing yourself for no gain. Drink less if you want to take the training a bit more seriously.
    I couldn't do it at all. I was drinking 2 days ago and don't fancy my workout today as much as I usually would.

Funglegunk wrote: »

Must one consume orally? I have another suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Your blood pressure is a lot higher the next day after drinking so weights training is not advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

kegzmc wrote: »
    If I'm taking drugs coke e's MDMA etc I don't sleep so good resulting in terrible workouts

Jaysus you're mad out of it!

Shryke wrote: »
    You're only killing yourself for no gain. Drink less if you want to take the training a bit more seriously.
    I couldn't do it at all. I was drinking 2 days ago and don't fancy my workout today as much as I usually would.

Lazy feck. Get off the couch and stop scratching your farthole. It's lovely outside

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Jaysus you're mad out of it!

Not today my friend. I'm watching shrek with the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

make a fresh fruit smoothie and hava fap and a shower sorted ready to attack the day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Coconut water is great for rehydration, can you buy it in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just take some Hemo Rage Ultra Concentrate and hit the gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Local_Chap wrote: »
    I would hope thats how you consume a banana

With some people you need to be very specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

it'd be like running a car with no oil in the engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Milk Thistle is a good hangover cure now that I think about it. Try and get it in the liquid form but the tablets are fine. Take two drops or tablets with water before you start drinking and then when you get home take another two drops/tablets (essential!) with water and you should wake up feeling alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Doesn't make me feel any better, buy a 6 pack and go to sleep early or else bear it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

nbar12 wrote: »
    Milk Thistle is a good hangover cure now that I think about it. Try and get it in the liquid form but the tablets are fine. Take two drops or tablets with water before you start drinking and then when you get home take another two drops/tablets (essential!) with water and you should wake up feeling alright!

ahhhh milk thistle I am forever in your debt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Sex and/or masturbation is the only exercise that really helps me out.

Going for a cold swim also works great but that's a lot of bother:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

exercise ffs

if you have a proper hangover you can hardly move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Exercise can cause the release of endorphins which would make you feel better.

I usually find that exercise clears my mind and leads to a better sleep the night following a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

A nice glass of heroin should sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i usually go for a quick jog to the chipper for a batter sausage, garlic cheese chips and a half pounder with rashers and egg.. sorted afterwards

I've gone for a swim sometimes in the evening after a night on the beer but would usually be feeling better anyway at the stage at least try to burn off some of the nights excess, its much harder than normal but you feel better after it.

Also played soccer a few times the day after being drinking, its very hard to catch your breath I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Alcohol and exercise don't mix. You are more prone to injury and have a slightly increased chance of a heart attack if you exercise after a session. If you're serious about building muscle or losing fat then you're as well to cut out the drinking or keep it to a minimum. If you're regularly drinking to the point where you're hungover the next day you're wasting your time in the gym.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

No real cure except a few more of the same .

• Advertisement

Alcohol and exercise don't mix. You are more prone to injury and have a slightly increased chance of a heart attack if you exercise after a session. If you're serious about building muscle or losing fat then you're as well to cut out the drinking or keep it to a minimum. If you're regularly drinking to the point where you're hungover the next day you're wasting your time in the gym.

Your day to day diet has a much bigger influence on losing weight in my experience than drinking, even just your monday to friday diet.

I lost a reasonable bit of weight over a few months by just watching my diet a bit more during the week and doing some exercise twice a week, some weekends I watched what I ate other weekends I just ate as I wanted and I didnt reduce alcohol at all, still drank a sink full twice a week on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Your day to day diet has a much bigger influence on losing weight in my experience than drinking, even just your monday to friday diet.

I lost a decent bit of weight by just watching my diet a bit more during the week, weekends I did change a little but not as much and I didnt reduce alcohol at all, still drank a sink full twice a week on average.

In my experience the people who cut down on alcohol lost weight faster, but everyone's different. Beer is full of calories, can take a lot of effort to burn off a pint!

In my experience the people who cut down on alcohol lost weight faster, but everyone's different. Beer is full of calories, can take a lot of effort to burn off a pint!

I agree you may lose it faster but I was happy enough losing it at the rate I was rather than drinking less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Also played soccer a few times the day after being drinking, its very hard to catch your breath I find.

Played today with a massive hangover, didn't play very well but by god the hangover was entirely gone afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

humanji wrote: »
    Isn't dehydration the main cause of a hangover effects? Sweating wouldn't help.
    you would be just adding to the pain,as more water lost=more dehydration more headache.And yes you lose performance gained before if your constantly on weekend binges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I lost a reasonable bit of weight over a few months by just watching my diet a bit more during the week and doing some exercise twice a week, some weekends I watched what I ate other weekends I just ate as I wanted and I didnt reduce alcohol at all, still drank a sink full twice a week on average.

depends on your target, if you're already relatively in shape and trying to get to the next level then what you're doing won't work.

depends on your target, if you're already relatively in shape and trying to get to the next level then what you're doing won't work.

I'm not trying for any tough targets, just had put on a bit of extra weight and wanted to lose it, have myself to more or less where I want to be now so just want to maintain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Last week I woke up with an almighty hangover and drunkenly decided to go for a cycle. Usually I'd do a minmum 20 miles so I headed off on the same route. After 5 miles I knew I was done for so I turned back. I was kinda disgusted with my performance so I decided to up the pace as a punishment.

I booted it the whole way home and threw up as soon as I got off the bike. Had a cold shower and vomited again.

I swear I didn't feel well for about 5 days after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Running is horrible with a proper hangover, I prefer to Swim or do some weight training. The monotonous movement of running is just terrible for a sick head, but a good long swim or lifting weights feels pretty good and I find it increases my strength slightly.

However, having just a little bit of a hangover enables me to run for ages with no trouble at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

a good shag is great for a hangover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement