Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2020/2021

• 04-07-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Not sure if there is already one on boards so i took it upon myself to set it up.
    Now that we are back in the Premier League, how do Saints fans(or non Saints fans) rate our chances of survival this season.
    I see Alexander Buttner has expressed an interest in coming to St Marys, from what i have heard, he was in Dutch provisional squad for Euro 2012. Anyone know much about him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Some seem to rate him as one of the best LB's in the Dutch league but I know nothing else about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

There used to be a megathread, but I could never find it (I'll follow this one).

Buttner would offer another option at LB and provide cover for Lallana & He seems to want to come to SMS (Saint Mary's Stadium). I would be surprised if this deal didn't go through. This would be our second signing after breaking our previous record fee (Rory Delap £4m) to bring in Jay Rodriguez.

We still need another GK (Butland? - is he worth a £6m gamble?) & a central defender at minimum. I think we will see another 3/4 signings between now and September.

Were not a selling club anymore so I am not that worried about loosing players, although Chelsea are after Luke Shaw (the next Gareth Bale). If Nigel Adkins was to depart I would be concerned, but now that the managerial merry-go-round is slowing down I am not that worried.

I think we will stay up this year. maybe it is false hope but the last 3 seasons make me think the club are aiming higher.

Thought I'd bump this thread, we've signed Steven Davis. I don't know anything about Scottish football so don't know what he's like, but the rangers/NI captain cant be that bad? We had a £2m bid in for him earlier in the summer but wages were rumoured to be an issue. I expect there was a substantial signing on bonus to bring him in for "free".

The Buttner deal is still going on, the clubs have agreed a fee, personal terms & medical are all that remain.

Butland has said he wants to stay at Birmingham and get first team football, so our search for a keeper will continue.

I found an old "superthread", last post in 2008 & it's 8 pages of depression. It's been some journey - Thanks to Markus Liebherr, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Thought I'd bump this thread, we've signed Steven Davis. I don't know anything about Scottish football so don't know what he's like, but the rangers/NI captain cant be that bad? We had a £2m bid in for him earlier in the summer but wages were rumoured to be an issue. I expect there was a substantial signing on bonus to bring him in for "free".

The Buttner deal is still going on, the clubs have agreed a fee, personal terms & medical are all that remain.

Butland has said he wants to stay at Birmingham and get first team football, so our search for a keeper will continue.

I found an old "superthread", last post in 2008 & it's 8 pages of depression. It's been some journey - Thanks to Markus Liebherr, RIP.

I have a few friends who are Villa supporters and they rated him highly. According to them he was voted Fans player of the year during his spell there. I know Scottish football may not be of the highest level but he was one of Rangers better performers in what was a difficult season for them.

In relation to the Buttner deal, if he is as keen to sign as he claims to be, personal terms should not be a major issue.

Thank god the old superthread that you mention has been ditched. Its been a rollercoaster since but thankfully things are looking up.

martyeds wrote: »
    I have a few friends who are Villa supporters and they rated him highly. According to them he was voted Fans player of the year during his spell there. I know Scottish football may not be of the highest level but he was one of Rangers better performers in what was a difficult season for them.

In relation to the Buttner deal, if he is as keen to sign as he claims to be, personal terms should not be a major issue.

Thank god the old superthread that you mention has been ditched. Its been a rollercoaster since but thankfully things are looking up.

Looks as if i spoke too soon on this :mad:. The deal looks to be on verge on collapse as a 3rd party after entered the fray.
    Also looks as if the Davis move from Rangers is not all plain sailing either.

• Advertisement

Davis interview. He looks like a Saint's player, but has the paperwork been stamped?

& Jay Rodriguez scores on his début...

Elsewhere, we've been linked with Nathaniel Clyne, nothing official yet but would be a good addition, even if we seem to be assembling a championship dream team. However, Adkins is aiming high...... but still no mention of bringing in any centre backs though :mad:

Have to agree, and i would like to see one or two players with some premier league experience brought in also.

Saints have made a few more signings recently. Clynes has joined from Crystal Palace (although compensation has yet to be agreed)
    Adkins is clearly building for the future, Clynes is 21 and was selected in the Championship team of the season in May i believe.

Also brought in Paola Gazzinga from Gillingham (with Forecast going on a season long loan to Gillingham), he is a 20 year old lad from Argentina. He spent a year with Valencia without makiing any first team appearances.

Saints and Rangers have come to an agreement in relation to a fee for the signature of Steven Davis, reported to be in or around .8 million. Glad that is sorted now anyway.
    Still would like another central defender though.

....Adkins is clearly building for the future, Clynes is 21 and was selected in the Championship team of the season in May i believe.

Also brought in Paola Gazzinga from Gillingham (with Forecast going on a season long loan to Gillingham), he is a 20 year old....

Still would like another central defender though.

Two highly rated young players. Clyne was linked with Utd last year. Some say that Gazzinga was better than Jack Butland in L1 - He might be a good prospect, but is he good enough if anything happens to Kelvin Davies? I think we still need to look for another keeper although we can always bring one in on loan.

I've been very impressed with our transfer activity over the last few seasons. We're building a very promising team - how many of our squad are recent england U21? Were poaching the best prospects from other clubs & spending decent money. Also, other than OX I don't think Cortese has sold a first team player, we are no longer a selling club. Our already successful academy has had a lot of money pumped into it & the next group of prospects are ready to come through (if we believe what we read) & this time we'll keep them. Regardless of where we finish this season I feel good about the future for Saints, & now I know that getting relegated isn't the end of the world.

But enough about prospects & back to more immediate concerns... Scott Dann (another former English U21) would ease my concerns at Centre back. £6m is a little over ambitious from Brum, but I think this might happen.

The Buttner deal has fallen through, but were after Jeremain Lens, who looks decent...

WOW....
    Sky Sports understands Southampton have agreed a club record deal with Bologna for Uruguay international Gaston Ramirez.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/7997121/Saints-agree-record-deal

Apparently Ramirez rejected a Spurs bid due to wages on offer.
    & Liverpool were also interested. Exciting times ahead if we are spending £12m on a player & competing with Liverpool/Spurs for his signature. Looks like an exciting player too...

We've also put in a £6m bid for Blackpool's Matt Phillips, another player from last seasons Championship team of the year.

& Lee is back in training.

Still no sign of a Centre Back though :(

• Advertisement

Just saw that on teamtalk.
    Exciting times at St Marys.
    18/1 to beat Man City on Sunday........:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Insane signing, quality player, he's a CL player, for sure, only 21 too.

Will be your best player by some distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Hmmmm Lambert will be licking his chops at the thought of being on the end of some of them passes. Ramirez and JRod on either wing with Lallana down the middle with Sharp and Lambert waiting in the box, tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Best of luck in the season ahead lads, enjoy it and hopefully ye stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Duzzie wrote: »
    Hmmmm Lambert will be licking his chops at the thought of being on the end of some of them passes. Ramirez and JRod on either wing with Lallana down the middle with Sharp and Lambert waiting in the box, tasty.

And poor Cork or Morgan on their own protecting the back 4?

Have Buttner or any CB's signed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wow, serious ambition shown by Southampton there. I hope it works out for you lads!

G.K. wrote: »

I think Morgan will excel at this level, he is very understated, quietly goes about his business and will surprise a lot of people. No CBs yet, hopefully they are coming and Buttner isn't coming NA has said that's a dead deal.

G.K. wrote: »

We also have Davis in the middle, I think Cork might have to fill in at CB at some point but Seaborne & Stephens have been involved in pre-season. I still expect us to bring in someone late in the window, just like Jos last year.

Saints bidding £12m for a player... I'm not sure if I'm awake or not.

Paully D wrote: »
    Wow, serious ambition shown by Southampton there. I hope it works out for you lads!

Looks like it not the done deal that we expected, Bolonga claim the deal is far from sealed.....ah well.

Season opener today, couldn't have asked for a tougher start. I can us lose 3-0. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mick Channon!
    Kevin Keegan!
    Lawrie McMenemy!
    Matthew Le Tissier!

Ah its all so long ago.

Hopefully they'll stay up, Adkins seems like the right kind of guy to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Team sheet: K Davis, Clyne, Fonte, Hooiveld, Fox, Schneiderlin, Ward-Prowse, Lallana, Puncheon, Guly, Rodriguez
    Subs: Gazzaniga, Lambert, S Davis, Sharp, Richardson, Shaw, Seaborne

Anyone else surprised to see Ward-Prowse there? Interesting match for his league debut!

Surprised to see no Lambert or Sharp in starting line up.

Surprised to see no Lambert or Sharp in starting line up.

Me too, although I read Lambert wasnt in great form during the pre-season. They are all playing well so far, Ward-Prowse isnt playing like a 17 year old in his first game in the prem, Clyne is looking very solid too.

It's a strange feeling to be happy with a 3-2 loss, but I think we can hold our heads high - a good performance against City and one of our toughest games out of the way.

City's second was disappointing - poor defending from Clyne, & that's one of the only negatives I can take out of the game. City hurt us down the right & were the better team, but they are one of the best teams in Europe.

Fonte did very well IMHO (Jos got away with a few mistakes). I think Rodriguez should have started up front with Guly on the wing. A fantastic decision from Adkins to start SRL from the bench, & great to see that even against the Champions we are still trying to play football.

I seen Rodgers in the crowd, I'm sure he was thinking "see this is how I want Liverpool to play"

Didnt see the game as i was working. Watched highlights on MOTD 2. If someone told me before the game that there would have been 5 goals.....i would have feared the worst.
    We were under a lot of pressure but that was always to be expected. Created a good few chances also. Very impressed with our showing. Hopefully we can carry that into the Wigan game at weekend. All in all, a good performance and we will not have to meet a side of that quality much this season.
    We are only 3 points behind the leaders. :D

Southampton one time target Buttner agreed terms with Manchester Utd today.

2 games down & 0 points on the board. We bet Stevenage in the cup tonight (Lee played & scored :) ), but Man U & Arsenal up next in the league.

Guly has been done for drink driving at 4 o'clock in the morning.

The Ramirez situation is on going, but we have signed Zambian Striker Emmanuel Mayuka

Looks pretty good, but we still need to strengthen in defence.

Fingers crossed that Ramirez signs tomorrow. A lot of messing around but hopefully its sorted one way or the other in the next 24 hours.

Regarding defence, Saints rumoured to be interested in Boilesen at Ajax and Yosido at Venlo. NA isn't stupid and while I'm sure he'd rather not start the season without strengthening the defence I'm sure he'll get it sorted before the window closes.

The Guly situation is unfortunate but I have to be honest and say I've never really liked him. NA was quite strong in his words when asked on Radio Solent and I'd expect not to see him for a while. Not a bad thing perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Should have held on against Utd.Jos 2 penalties given away saved by Davis.
    Fonte not up to it.Yoshida any better?
    Lots of good attacking players but defence very suspect.OWTSGMI.

• Advertisement

Saints win "the first game of the season" in style
    & sign keeper Artur Boruc
    & were above liverpool ;)

the future is bright...

The future is bright but I still worry about our defence. Can we wait till January? Fonte was shown up badly today. With Everton next I fear that Fellaini will make us look like mugs at the back.

Still, Ramirez looks worth every penny of his fee. Yoshida too. Mayuka is thereabouts. Good to see NA get the fans support today too.

Onwards and upwards.

http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/scout-report-moyes-tactical-blueprint-for-southampton/

A good assessment of us from an Everton point of view. A tough away game - I'd take a point.
    Rascasse wrote: »
    ...... I still worry about our defence. Can we wait till January?.........

..........Still, Ramirez looks worth every penny of his fee. Yoshida too....

Yoshida is hopefully the answer to our defensive issue, with Jos & Jose fighting for the second CB spot.

Plumber(s) required...:confused:

Need 11 points from their next 6 games
    starting with a win vs Swansea.:confused:

Good chance to pick up some very much needed points over the next month or so. All depends how our defence copes....seem to be low on confidence and 3 goalkeepers inside 3 months probably doesn't help matters. I still think Adkins is the answer, lot of rumours about him getting sacked but i think he deserves time. Lets get this show back on the road starting tomorrow,

• Advertisement

Good chance to pick up some very much needed points over the next month or so. All depends how our defence copes....seem to be low on confidence and 3 goalkeepers inside 3 months probably doesn't help matters. I still think Adkins is the answer, lot of rumours about him getting sacked but i think he deserves time. Lets get this show back on the road starting tomorrow,

I'm losing faith in Adkins. The team the last few matches have been seriously poor. I do feel for him and I suspect that, for example, Ramirez may have been more Cortese's doing than him. But still, the team are playing awfully and I'm not sure that Adkins can last much longer. 3 more matches and if no improvement its time for him to go. Get someone with premier league experience to work with the team before than January window opens.

As I mentioned in the West Brom match thread - it may be time for Redknapp.

Give me strength. Another defensive screw up and more points lost. Really should have won that comfortably. If no win at QPR then it should be bye bye Nige.

Needed to win.Defeat vs Quarter Pound Rashers will be the end.:confused:

They thought it was all over....Its not yet.:o

What a difference a win makes. Attacking wise we are just as good as many sides in the top half of the table, Jack Cork was a massive difference v QPR. He was sorely missed in early part of the season. Gazzaniga still looks a bit dodgy. Was at fault for the goal and was lucky to get away with another few slip ups. Decent run of games coming up now. Great to see the support that Adkins received again on Sat. Puncheon was superb, should of had another goal at least.

• Advertisement

3 points vs a tired Newcastle too much to hope for?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are ye happy with Atkins at the moment?
    He seems to be a bit of a victim of his own success

Depends on whether he was responsible for the summer signings.
    A 2 year old would know that centre backs were required.Ramirez 11m?
    Mayuka 3m? Gazza 2m ?

:D:D 2-0
    3 points against the canaries next please:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great result, a bit too soon to talk about corner turned but some daylight now at least.

3 points and finally a clean sheet. Hit woodwork 3 times also. Defense seems to playing with a lot more confidence lately. The return of Cork having a good impact. Looking forward to Norwich game now on Wednesday.

There's a nice little spell until January where there are plenty of winnable games to move up the league and build some confidence. Should be aiming to have at least 22 points by Arsenal game on new years day.

Hopefully now the press will get off Adkins back for a while. They have their first sackings of the season so hopefully Adkins will be left to do his thing and with Arry at QPR, we wont be linked with him any more :D:D:D.

There certainly seems to be a bit of confidence in the team that has been lacking lately, they looked very good yesterday and could have won by 5 or 6. True it it too early to say that the corner has been turned but 7 points from a possible 9 in the last 3 games is a very good start and leaves us in a much better place in the league. There is an ominous gap for QPR to catch up so saggy chops has his work cut out for him

Slipped back into bottom 3 after last night results. Hopefully we get our 3rd straight win tonight.

lambert pen 1-0

• Advertisement
Advertisement