Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Love the new centre. The talent that rolled out from the old sheds,Shaw, Bale, Ox etc. Think we'll see a few more Ronaldo's & Messi's coming out of there in the not too distant future.

Also feeling very nostalgic about the old days spending freezing cold evenings up there as a nipper for the reserve matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

The wonderkid from Palermo is quoted @ £32m.Just as well Saints
    have an excellent youth system.
    Good news Bertrand was not in England squad.Price being kept
    down for January purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

zztop wrote: »
    Good news Bertrand was not in England squad.Price being kept
    down for January purchase.
    I think the fee is already set in his loan agreement. He seems seems to be happy and wants to be here, feels he was badly treated at Chelsea. He has done better than many thought he would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Kids very excited as we're off to Southampton (well Winchester) tomorrow! Tickets for the match on Sat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

BigMoose wrote: »
    Kids very excited as we're off to Southampton (well Winchester) tomorrow! Tickets for the match on Sat :D

Have fun! I had a ball 2 weeks ago. Great atmosphere. Even got a video of the goal. We were to the side of the goals and I decided I'd take video of the free kick, then bam! Post,crossbar, net.

Winchester is a great spot too.

• Advertisement

Expect you back here with 3 points in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Delighted for Long, was a well deserved 3 points.

I had my doubts about Long when we signed him, couldn't see what extra qualities he brought to the team. He had a very slow start with a few poor missed chances in front of goal, working hard but without result. The goal against stoke seems to have done his confidence the world of good. Hopefully with today's 2 goals, he'll keep pushing them on and banging them in. He has a way to go before he can be considered a success, but he seems to be on the right tracks.

Long & Moose ...a deadly combination.

Great win today, good to see Long get off the mark :-)

• Advertisement

Great to see Long get his first league goals for us. I have to say that at around 60 mins I was worried it just wasn't going to happen and the kids would be outraged at the game we chose to see! But fitting that it was Long who scored! :-) The whole game was great to watch, never a dull moment.

Where abouts were you moose?

5th row of the Kingsland stand block 33 (towards the northam end). Great view, although anywhere in St Marys has a good view :)

BigMoose wrote: »
    anywhere in St Marys has a good view :)

specially while the goals keep going in :-)

Good to see Clyne play well and get picked before Chambers.
    Lovren on the bench for Croatia.20m!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

I was really looking forward to watching the Villa game in decent quality on Sky, but my god. Villa are a horrible team to watch. It was like one team were there to play football and the other was there to stop them playing. Don't think I could hack watching that every week.

Saints should have won but at least it wasn't a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really tough run of games coming up now for ye, if ye can get a good return from those games no reason ye can't finish top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Really like Koeman in his interview he just said there's no reason why they can't finish in top four no hiding away no excuses fair play to him.

Any more injuries and I will be a bit worried. Some points out of the next 3 would be great. Who knows what will happen. It will be kinda nice to be the underdogs again. Im not used to watching every game and expecting a win. That's kinda what I hate about people who support the "big teams". You are just lining yourself up for disappointment.

Awful goal to give away.The curse of the England goalkeeper.
    Lacked zip but deserved to win but glad to get a draw.This time
    last year Villa had 22% of possession and scored from their 3
    shots on goal at St Marys.A draw with city keep the saints second.

• Advertisement

Beaten fairly and squarely.Not 3-0 though.
    Do very well to finish in top 6.

I was kinda shocked at how the form fell apart after Schneiderlin had to come off. The cracks are starting to appear I think. Some decent cover players are going to be needed in January.

I have watched all but 2 games this year and a clear problem seems to be teams who are very physical and actively go for professional fouls. Villa did it and City were happy to hack any attacking player once they were ahead.

It was the right result though. It could have easily been a penalty for Aguero and the Saints never looked relaxed.

Pc died a death and never thought of logging in on the phone!

Hasn't been a great couple.of weeks. Thought we looked very nervy against city last week. Sounded very close against arsenal midweek.

Would gladly take a point from utd tonight. Pelle needs to find his scoring boots again.

Agree with the above. We're looking more nervous as time goes on without a goal when it matters... Do we have enough players left uninjured for that matter? I'm away at the mo so haven't seen the arse game but gather more got injured.

Yet another game we deserved something from. Very disappointing.

I expected it to be worse considering we were missing 3 main defensive players but united were terrible. 2 stupid goals to give away.

A win at Burnley is going to be needed to cheer things up. At least the full squad should be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hard luck tonight lads.

Ye deserved at least a point. Ye played well.

Think top 6 is very realistic target for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Last night was the first time I've seen a full 90 minutes of Southampton playing. I was very impressed. We absolutely robbed that game and you definitely deserved something from it. What most impressed me was the energy of your players and the lightning quick passing. It's like everyone was on the same page and you had no problem passing the ball out of defense. Contrast that to United where the players seemed to take that little bit longer to make a pass and often ended up without a player to pass to. Seeing Southampton sell so many players I was worried about a steep decline but it seems the opposite with the players you've replaced them with. I think it's a good time to be a saints fan, last few results excepted!

Rodriguez is needed back pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We'll pay you to take back Lovren.

• Advertisement

17 days from 'Champions League' debate to meltdown.

Jay Rod not expected back until at least Feb now as well.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11677891.J_Rod_injury_delay/?ref=mmsp

Personally I was not going to expect wonders from him being out so long with a bad injury. Last few weeks have shown how thin our squad is and how the transfer window can't open quick enough if we're to try and keep up our european hopes.

I'm over in England again visiting family but have taken tomorrow off to take the kids to the game. Not sure it's going to be such a good result as last time we were over!

The Moose and his little mice obviously
    have a very positive effect.Great win.

Was a great win! :D

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3921/transfer-zone/2014/12/23/7353602/southampton-agree-elia-loan-deal

Anyone know much about him? Sounded promising but has had problems in Germany by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

27 caps for Holland and played in a world cup final?
    Southamptons 'Ballotelli' Gone astray?
    Cover for Mane for ANC(cover for the bench the way he plays)
    Loan with view to 3m transfer.
    What can go wrong with an international on loan...

My dutch brother in law said he's "not to bad, but not too brilliant either - yet" but thinks he could be promising. Hopefully Koeman will get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Elia had a couple of great years at Twente but is one of those examples of being too young going to a club where your chances will be limited, Juve in his case.

He is indeed a bit of a Balotelli "lite" off the pitch but if anyone can kick start his career, it will be Koeman.

Werder is glad to get rid of him even if it was just to get him of payroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

After we signed him from Twente in 2009, he was excellent in the first half of the season. Expectations were high for the second half of 09/10, we were in the title hunt, signed van Nistelrooy in the winter and Elia was set to play a major role before he hurt his ankle and missed the last 15 or so games. He was anonymous for the next 2 seasons before Juve gave us around €15m for him.

He has done so much stupid sh*t over the years. He had his license revoked for dangerous driving. When he was at Bremen, he and Marko Arnautovic (the waste of talent playing with Stoke these days) were racing in separate cars on the motorway the night before a game. They were stopped and had their cars taken. Bremen suspended them both for the last 2 months of that season. He also missed time when he was at Hamburg after a bad tattoo job, midweek between games, caused a serious infection.

I get the feeling this is his last chance. If it doesn't work out in England, Bremen will want rid in the summer again and he'll be fortunate to find a decent team in the Dutch league that wants him.

Super draw against a very good side.

• Advertisement

Being reported that Toby has been offered a 5 year deal. Please be true, i'd give my left nut to sign him, an awesome player. Sign him and Ryan and i'd consider it successful transfer window.

How sweet was that win.Deserved after losing
    at St Marys.Very impressed with gardos when he came on.
    Now for some vino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And the Dutch FA thought it was better off with that poser of a Hiddink for 2 years who will be then followed by yes-man Danny Blind, than with Koeman.

Hope he ll finish above Van Gaal and qualifies for CL next year

Great win, superb defending.
    Would have been more than happy with a point from today

COYRS

Easy enough boring win, way so on to Palace.
    Back to the situation of the bad run now with
    Toby,Morgan and Vic out.At least Cork is back
    and no big teams coming up.
    Je suis Saint.

Yeah, it was boring enough but they did exactly what they needed to do, to get the win without stretching themselves. Another great tactical win. Although I'd like to have seen Pelle or Long knock in a few more to get confidence up. The injuries are a worry. As you say, with no big teams I hope we'll continue to get the results.

Any word on what happened to Morgan?

There was an interview with Koeman posted to FB the other day where he mentioned whatever Morgan had, but dont recall what it was. An injury I've not heard of. Out for 4-5 weeks I think?

Poop, but like you & ZZ said theres no "big" teams. Hopefully he's back for Liverpool on the 22nd feb

http://www.football-italia.net/61558/inter-terminate-osvaldo-contract

Hope this guy goes anywhere than back to SMS

Inter are trying to terminate their contract with Daniel Osvaldo after he abandoned training, making him Southampton’s problem.

The striker has been suspended by the club after going AWOL for two days, not attending training sessions or telling anyone his whereabouts.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, there is also a legal reason behind this step, as it will allow Inter to move towards terminating his contract.

Osvaldo arrived on a season-long loan from Southampton, but fell down the pecking order when Roberto Mancini replaced Walter Mazzarri on the bench.

The situation was definitively ruined when Osvaldo attempted to attack teammate Mauro Icardi during a game against Juventus on January 6, held back by Fredy Guarin.

The Argentina-born Italy international has not been part of the squad since then and Inter have been looking to find him another club.

With reports he rejected the likes of Genoa, Cagliari and QPR, Osvaldo staged a disappearing act this week.

If Inter can terminate the season-long loan contract, Osvaldo will effectively return to Southampton and his next career step will be ‘their problem,’ note the Gazzetta.

The 29-year-old has an unfortunate history of disciplinary problems, as he punched Roma teammate Erik Lamela in a locker room row and headbutted Jose Fonte during a Southampton training ground brawl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement