Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

How did saints ever get involved with this eejit.

Worse news Blaze ,it is reported that JRod wont

be back this season as he has had a relapse and

even talk of him never playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

zztop wrote: »
    How did saints ever get involved with this eejit.

Worse news Blaze ,it is reported that JRod wont

be back this season as he has had a relapse and

even talk of him never playing again.

Our wonderful ex scout & manager. Wonder if spurs want him now? What I don't understand is how we cannot just terminate his contract. He's acted the b0llix since we signed him. He's messed up his loans for more in house rucking.

Shame about Jay Rod if thats the case. This season was always going to be hit and miss for him coming back from such a lengthy spell out but would've have like to seen him back and fully fit for europe next year.

Djuricic in
    Cork out
    JWP signs a new deal.
    16 games left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

zztop wrote: »
    Djuricic in
    Cork out
    JWP signs a new deal.
    16 games left.

Was brilliant at Heerenveen. Couldnt do it for Benfica at all.

Interesting to see how he will do for Southampton lining up with his pal Tadic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Im enjoying this transfer window a lot more than the summer one. Im a bit worried about Schneiderlin going now that Cork is gone though. Rehashing the Arsenal bid seems to be the fallback piece of news for all the papers whenever they have nothing else new to report.

Another defensive midfielder coming in would be nice. Seems to be all attack at the moment. I have faith that they know what they are doing though.

Cork was frustrated at playing time. Think he will be replaced easily enough. Sad to see him go but its not the end of the world.

Schneiderlin on the other hand is a worry, we'll have to finish very well and keep investing well in the squad to keep him.

RK seems to agree..he is confident of getting 20 yr old
    defensive midfielder Tonny Wilhenna in before Monday.

Vilhena

From Feyenoord

Yes its the nuance ..V W to the scandinavian (sic)

• Advertisement

Good to see bertrand joining permanently.Need a boost
    after 2 home defeats.Arsenal,Spurs,Pool are on the move
    behind so with all these injuries etc could be down to 6th.

Still 3rd :-)

Hopefully 3 points from WH on Weds then a well needed break for the lads.

And still 3rd.Tough two games coming up.
    Injuries always a concern but displays of
    players coming in have been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

As long as we can keep scoring. Worried about the lack of goals from up front recently. Liverpool were looking better than I'd realised last night... Anyway, hoping for a solid performance and 3 points against the hammers tonight!

You dont have to worry about Osvaldo coming back this season.
    Sent on loan to Boca Juniors for 6 months

Could have done with a forward who could put the ball
    in the net.Pele has lost a lot of condidence and tadic
    cant score.Mane maybe should have been left on but
    2 pts dropped but the future is red and white.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Pele has lost confidence for some reason. What's happened to Long? I was out last night and not watched MOTD yet, did he get on the pitch at all? We seem to have a lot of quality midfield but need to fix the striker confidence problem or find some alternatives. Definitely 2 points dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ball just wouldn't go in the net for Southampton last night. There was just somebody there to stop the goal almost every single time and Jaaskelainen pulled off a few good saves too.

Southampton haven't stopped playing with power all season. I don't expect to see that happen now and its all going to come down to the games against Liverpool and Tottenham to decide if they make the Champion's league or not. If they get four points from those two games then I'll be very surprised if they don't finished at least fourth.

Long is out with his shoulder and no sign that he will
    be back in the near future.Putting him up front is good
    for Pele because Shane can knock the ball down and
    unsettle defenders.Watched extended highlights on SKY
    and Mane was the most dangerous forward.Pele the target
    and a lot of inter passing around the box and Saints deserved
    to win but thats football.A win against pool will be difficult
    unless a few injuries clear up.

I almost felt that they were more likely to score before the WH keeper was sent off. After that (and especially when Carroll was walking everywhere) there were just too many bodies back and they were never going to move out. The Saints biggest threat all night was the quick runs behind the defenders. With that gone it was kinda like hoping for a bit of luck in the chaos every time the ball got in the box.

Im just happy there were no new injuries before next week.

Appears Shane Long is back in training this week and JRod is
    available from next month.

• Advertisement

Urgh, couldn't buy a goal today. Peno shout and reffing part. Plenty of possession but they didn't deliver in the final 3rd. Pelle should be given a rest, let Long have a start, between him & elia theres plenty of pace and work rate.

That was a very frustrating afternoon. As you say, couldn't buy a goal. Didn't look able to score even if they all got sent off. I don't get why he didn't bring Long on for Pelle...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Top four is looking unlikely! But the win on Tuesday may have kept us in it. Either way, it's fun getting to talk about Southampton's chances of getting to Europe! I don't think anyone predicted that preseason.

I am glad I saw them play before Christmas and not after though. Back when a game against Stoke seemed like an easy one! haha

Yeah, I agree. Spurs have a game in hand and we could be 7th. That said, we still have a good goal difference which might come in handy (as long as we don't screw it up!) but we need to remember how to score a few. Good to get the win and keep a clean sheet on Tuesday. Hopefully will inspire them.

Also pleased I took the kids over for a couple of games pre Christmas. Am planning on one more in April. But the kids might not be so enthusiastic.

Pelle needs to get his confidence back. He is missing some serious shots.

The Spurs match in April could make for an interesting one.

I'm living in Vancouver, Canada now so don't see many games, not live anyway. Though football(soccer) is pretty big here. (No Southampton fc supporters bar yet though!)

Bit far away for you but you could always go watch the CSL
    Magical things happening in that league :D

By live I actually meant live coverage haha I either watch replay of game (If i've managed to avoid the score) or match of the day.
    I'm 8 hours behind so games are usually on at 6/7am weekends. or 11/12am weekdays.

I haven't looked much into the CSL yet, but I hear only good things :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Great result today. Would've taken that before the match kicked off.

I had secret hopes for a result like this due to the fact that Chelsea weren't great earlier in the week and more importantly the full squad was available to Koeman again. I think before xmas was the last time he has the main 11 and good options available. Nail-biting second half!

• Advertisement

6 points behind United but they have some tougher games ahead! Will be an interesting few weeks. Hopefully Burnley don't sneak another win next week.

Frazer Forster has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a broken knee cap, terrible news for both him and the team. I'm not convinced that Kelvin or Gazza will be able to fill his gloves.

Davis did really well when he came on against Burnley so im not too worried. The main back 4 are all fit as well as the defensive mids. If this happened when we were missing Bertrand, Schneiderlin and Alderweireld it would have been much worse.

Yes he did in one game but can he keep it up, last time he covered when the mad Pole was injured, he made a few mistakes that lead to goals. I like him but he isnt a top class keeper any more. And Gazza isnt good enough.

Super Kelv to get us to Europe! It may be too much, but I'm a dreamer and he deserves a fairytale ending!

What actually happened to the "mad Pole"??

Still at Bournemouth till the end of the season. Staying put as well by the sounds of it.

Pelle can give a sigh of relief now! :P

Don't know who the last game of the season will be bigger for at this stage! Similar run in to ourselves, we have to stay consistant until the end of the season now.

• Advertisement

Some good news.Jay Rod has signed up till 2019:)

So, are we all gooners on saturday? It will make a long season but would be chuffed to fcuk if we get a good european run.

So they've let Boruc go? Not even worth selling him? Let alone keeping him? What happened there?!

He didn't want to re-sign last year and didnt want to stay as 2nd choice. Signed on at bompy

blaze1 wrote: »
    He didn't want to re-sign last year and didnt want to stay as 2nd choice. Signed on at bompy

Where he'll probably end up being second choice behind Frederici. I foresee another toy throwing session

• Advertisement

1 Spanish cap.22. mainly plays behind strikers,8 goals in 34 games.
    Just signed.Great business for 5m

cedric soares looks confirmed for 3.5m in the papers everywhere. good business if clyne is on his way out.

blaze1 wrote: »
    cedric soares looks confirmed for 3.5m in the papers everywhere. good business if clyne is on his way out.

I'm hearing stories from usually reliable people that Clyne is likely to stay but Morgan is almost certainly gone.

Clyne gone
    Toby Gone
    Morgan Gonish

At least JRod scored twice in his comeback match.

Once Schneiderling is gone, you ll get a Dutch international in return.

Jordy Clasie is nt going to leave Feyenoord just to go abroad. He ll be picky but Southampton/Koeman will be a destination he will want to go to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement