Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I just hope all the inbound are as good as those leaving... Cedric getting one was a good sign. Great to see JRod get 2 as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Easy win against Vitesse and JRod score a great goal in the 1-1
    draw vs Espanol,goals from long range that nobody could score
    last season.No word on Vlaar although there is talk of 8m being
    offered for van Dijk.

I was in Hampshire over both games but couldn't get to either!! :( Waiting as I type in Southampton airport for a delayed flight home... Great result against Vitesse and superb goal by JRod, really hope he's back to form for the league. Was surprised he didn't start on Thur, but clearly didn't need to risk him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

zztop wrote: »
    Easy win against Vitesse and JRod score a great goal in the 1-1
    draw vs Espanol,goals from long range that nobody could score
    last season.No word on Vlaar although there is talk of 8m being
    offered for van Dijk.

Vlaar is out for 4 months and will probably do his recovery training at Feyenoord.
    Will not sign anywhere before christmas i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Saints fans, whats the story with J Rod? Is he likely to start the season? be your main striker? asking mainly for FF purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

BigMoose wrote: »
    I was in Hampshire over both games but couldn't get to either!! :( Waiting as I type in Southampton airport for a delayed flight home... Great result against Vitesse and superb goal by JRod, really hope he's back to form for the league. Was surprised he didn't start on Thur, but clearly didn't need to risk him :)

I feel your pain. Was in cornwall for the home leg and southampton for the away leg. Should be back over in September though.

Going for a 3-2 win tomorrow to start the season :D

Nearly right if Mane took one of those chances.2 more signings
    due,van Dijk and Romeu from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Romeu confirmed on a 3 year deal. Could be a good buy

Saints fans, whats the story with J Rod? Is he likely to start the season? be your main striker? asking mainly for FF purposes

Scored a few in pre season and started last Saturday.Reckon he will score a few but Pele will start.

Looking like a fall down the table this season and finishing
    around mid table. Disappointing so far.

• Advertisement

Certainly didn't start so well, guess Europa was a big distraction. We should have got the win over the weekend, but weren't sharp enough up front. Dont know why Long didn't get a run out when nothing was happening for Pele and JRod. Will be interesting to see how we play against United.

Le Tis being interviewed on Newstalk Off The Ball :)

Should have gotten a result today.

Yeah, was such an annoying game. We were so unlucky not to go 2 up in the first 30 mins and keep going for there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Matt Le Tissier returns to Countdown tomorrow as reigning champion following his comprehensive victory today.

2.10pm Channel 4.

Graeme le Saux on duty in dictionary corner as well.

3 wins in a row.Saints always a surprise but bertrand
    having a great return.

Great night for the 2 Irelands and Saints players
    scoring for both.

How awful was that.....and after such a good start.
    lacking a leader or two on the team.

Took my two lads to the game yesterday as we were over visiting family. Great match to pick for our first game this season!!

• Advertisement

You should go over more often Moose.

Have to say that was in two minds whether a win for Leicster was the
    preferred result today.After watching I came to the conclusion that they
    will be one of the worst sides ever to win the league.Saints pounded them
    and could have had 2 penalties and yet could have lost by 2 or 3.

A freak season and I hope they finish the job but.. but.

Wow 5th on the last day of the season.CL next year if the trend of
    finishing in a higher position for the last 6 seasons continues.
    Juanmi gone and looks like Pele,Mane & Wanyama may join him.
    Big mistake if Koeman is not tied down to a longer contract, has
    been very impressive this season.

Just imagine if we'd not had that ****e patch before Christmas!!! Is a great time for the club to show some ambition and build. As you say, critical to keep Koeman happy and there for the foreseeable... I wouldn't be too worried about losing Pele or Mane (not both!) - assuming we keep Long and Austin/JRod get fit. Big shame if Pele goes but somethings not quite right, he's not shown consistency enough. He could be a superb player if he got that sorted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Wow 5th on the last day of the season.CL next year if the trend of
    finishing in a higher position for the last 6 seasons continues.
    Juanmi gone and looks like Pele,Mane & Wanyama may join him.
    Big mistake if Koeman is not tied down to a longer contract, has
    been very impressive this season.

I am very impressed (and jealous) with Koeman managerial abilities. I am surprised media is not praising him for some reasons. Very underrated..

May I know how's Jordy Clasie doing in your team?

Moose might know better but it appears he is said to be a little
    lightweight and never seems to finish a match.He is competing
    directly with Romeou who is very aggressive and next season
    should tell whether he can fully adapt to the premiership.
    Moose have you seen the video of Long singing at the end of year
    party about being a Saint. Dont think he is going anywhere.great to
    see Forster & VVD signing long term contracts.

• Advertisement

Great news re Long - really hope he stays and builds on this season. Must google that vid :) Agree re Forster and VVD - two vital players to keep. I have been quite impressed with Clasie in recent games but as you say, does seem to get subbed. Guess we will see next season who of this years signings really settles and how the likes of JWP comes on as a regular starter.

Clasie's start was a disaster with the injuries he had.
    Missed preparation for a good part because of it and i think that played a part with all those subs too.

Next season with a full pre-season and 1 year stronger you ll see the real one.

He was badly missed at Feyenoord this season. Maybe not even so much for the results but for the general play. Much more variation with him in the side last year.

Great vid, really hope he stays on, has got better & better as the seasons gone on.

Side note....

Have you seen Kelvin Davis son's penalty at his testimonial?!

Belter think ricky & le tis gave him some coaching before hand!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/southampton-keeper-kelvin-davis-comprehensively-8000328

There are some great video clips on the saints youtube page from Kelvins testimonial, including the LeTiss vs Lambert penalty shoot out, which Lambert won. Best bit of that was when the crowd started chanting "you're just a s***te Rickie Lambert" at LeTiss. Comedy gold

Link to Saints youtube page:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/theofficialsaints

• Advertisement

Class.Great video.

Is this Koeman talk all speculation or are Saints going to
    lose another huge asset, and to Everton!!

Surely he'd be mad to go to Everton?! I could almost understand if he did one more year with us then went to the Arse or somewhere similar. But Everton this year when we are in the league stage of the Europa?!

Assuming he does stay for at least one more year, we'd then have that year to prove ambition and progression to keep him for longer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not a Southampton fan myself but really hope Koeman stays there. He has done really well obviously and can take them on further. Why bother with a sideways (backwards some would say) step to Everton???

Ludo wrote: »
    Not a Southampton fan myself but really hope Koeman stays there. He has done really well obviously and can take them on further. Why bother with a sideways (backwards some would say) step to Everton???

A £7.9 million a year salary would be a good reason.

That is the rumour in Dutch press. The only Dutch website i really trust with transfers havent reported on it at all though

SSN report its down to compensation reported to be 3m....
    Another meltdown summer for Saints.Is de Boer lined up.

Is this Koeman talk all speculation or are Saints going to
    lose another huge asset, and to Everton!!

I reckon he is gone. Story i've heard is he was offered a new contract but refused it. Board said that if he wasnt willing to commit to the club, he should leave now rather than spend his last year in limbo with one eye on the exit. If that is the case, i agree with the board. I would rather have a manager who wants to manage the club. By refusing the offer of a new contract, he is showing that he is not committed to the club IMO. There was life after Adkins, there was life after Pochetino, there will be life after Koeman. No individual is bigger than the club.
    #WeMarchOn

Explains everything.Club have had a chance to look around, Koeman
    can say he was staying for one year.So who is next
    Dick Emery(LOL)
    Eddie Howe
    R de Boer
    or another surprise.

Explains everything.Club have had a chance to look around, Koeman
    can say he was staying for one year.So who is next
    Dick Emery(LOL)
    Eddie Howe
    R de Boer
    or another surprise.

Eddie Howe appears to be who the club want. Personally i'm underwhelmed by that prospect

If he goes it will indeed be another meltdown summer with some of his key players following him... utter disaster if true! If it's down to £7.9m salary, they'd be mad not to pay it given the ££ for finishing 6th in the league and TV from Europa is worth to the club.

• Advertisement

BigMoose wrote: »
    If he goes it will indeed be another meltdown summer with some of his key players following him... utter disaster if true! If it's down to £7.9m salary, they'd be mad not to pay it given the ££ for finishing 6th in the league and TV from Europa is worth to the club.

Reportedly offered £7m per year salary, £100m transfer budget, 100% of any lukaku fee for new players and a guarantee of a new stadium. Crazy money.

BTW £7m per year would make him the 6th highest payed manager in the world. He is good but im not sure he is that good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Duzzie wrote: »
    Reportedly offered £7m per year salary, £100m transfer budget, 100% of any lukaku fee for new players and a guarantee of a new stadium. Crazy money.

BTW £7m per year would make him the 6th highest payed manager in the world. He is good but im not sure he is that good

I'd eat both my hats and my shoes if Everton spend 150M this Summer.

What about Martin O Neill back in the premiership.He hasn't
    committed to Ireland and would be a longish term appointment.

I'd eat both my hats and my shoes if Everton spend 150M this Summer.

And if he does have that sort of money to spend, expect to see selling clubs put a healthy uplift on the value of any player being sold to everton.

Sadio Mane to Liverhampton for 30m?
    Hope the black box has a list of replacements.

Sadio Mane to Liverhampton for 30m?
    Hope the black box has a list of replacements.

I suspect we'd be holding out for more than that. He has 2 years left on his contract. It is not like Wanyama who will be into his last year next so so could leave next summer for nothing. I also suspect that nothing would happen until a new manager is in place and has had a chance to assess the squad and talk to the players.

Am I the only one who is fed up with Liverpool based football clubs??

Virgin Media have been announced as the new club sponsor. Glad it isnt a betting company. With the shirts being supplied by Under Armour and now this sponsor, makes for a link up with 2 progressive companies.

Will make for a very snug fit. Will need at least XXXXL :-)

http://sotonians.com/chat/saints-next-manager?p=8

The comments from Jack Schitt in the above link are very interesting. If true, they portray koeman in a very poor light. It is strange that his move to everton hasnt been finalised yet and the comments from Jack could explain why.

• Advertisement

Very interesting indeed! Does explain a lot, but not sure about some of it re the players not liking him, especially Tadic as didn't he play for him before? Thus unlikely to move to play for him again if that was the case?

Advertisement