Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Wonderful reading in that post and was waiting to hear the
    rumours that were circulating being 'confirmed'.
    Is Emery reported to be replacing Blanc at PSG? or are Saints
    going to have a Schmidt as manager.

Disappointing to read that Wanyama is being reported as being
    sold for only 11m though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Koeman the only one who played and managed at Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV and still is loved by fans of all 3.
    Ok, he didnt leave PSV in the best way possible when Valencia came knocking but that Jack Schitt story reads "Bad Koeman, bad bad Koeman" to me just to keep the fans quiet when Koeman indeed leaves for Everton.

Also dismissing De Boer and having a preference for Yakin, Perreira and/or Paco Jemez because more experience.
    De Boer won 4 league title in 5,5 years Ajax, had some good results in the CL.
    As a Feyenoord fan i would rather see the former Ajax player/manager De Boer coming to manage Feyenoord than any of the others mentioned in that piece.

Big Moose,
    Tadic played for Twente and Groningen in the Netherlands. Never for Koeman.
    Pelle and Clasie did so at Feyenoord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I suspect that the Jack Schitt story originated from the club themselves. There is a history of the club "leaking" information through a number of "in the know" people via social media. The club tend not to carry out business via the media but do use this method to get their story out. I don't think that it is intended to make out that Koeman is a bad manager, although it does appear to read that way. I suspect it is intended to soften the blow of Koeman leaving and to suggest that he does not fit in with the Southampton Way. He was very popular with the Southampton fans and the story may have been put out to show the fans that he wasn't as good for the club as it appeared. However his popularity with the fans is based on results only, it does not mean that he was managing the club in the way the board wanted it managed. The board have invested heavily in the academy and have publicly stated that the want the team to include a significant proportion of home grown players. This is consistent with Jack's story.

We can only speculate as to the accuracy of the content of Jack's post, but it does joint together a few of the dots that we do know, such as RK's reluctance to play academy players and the boards dissatisfaction with this (reported widely in January), RKs dressing down of Matt Targett in front of the team (also well reported) and the alienation of players such as Tadic and Mane (mane was publicly dropped for 2 games for being late for team meetings). It also explains his sudden about turn after categorically stating that he was not interested in Everton and he was staying, why he fired his original agent when he did and why the deal to Everton is taking so long to complete, it has been reported that the deal will be completed in the next 24 hours for the past week.

I have no doubt that RK will be gone sooner rather than later but I do believe that he hasn't been upfront with Southampton in relation to his intentions. I also acknowledge that he is a good manager but I am not convinced that he is 7m/year good or that he is as good as he thinks he is.

inforfun wrote: »
    Koeman the only one who played and managed at Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV and still is loved by fans of all 3.
    Ok, he didnt leave PSV in the best way possible when Valencia came knocking but that Jack Schitt story reads "Bad Koeman, bad bad Koeman" to me just to keep the fans quiet when Koeman indeed leaves for Everton.

Also dismissing De Boer and having a preference for Yakin, Perreira and/or Paco Jemez because more experience.
    De Boer won 4 league title in 5,5 years Ajax, had some good results in the CL.
    As a Feyenoord fan i would rather see the former Ajax player/manager De Boer coming to manage Feyenoord than any of the others mentioned in that piece.

Big Moose,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

inforfun wrote: »
    Big Moose,

Oh yes, my brother in law is Dutch and a Feyenoord fan but i got mixed up in who was where! :)

BBC sport notification just told me he's now officially the Everton manager... I just hope there is truth to some of these stories that SFC will be stronger/better with the next man and that it's not just a cover up for the club having a lack of ambition to keep a manager like him.

• Advertisement

BigMoose wrote: »
    BBC sport notification just told me he's now officially the Everton manager... I just hope there is truth to some of these stories that SFC will be stronger/better with the next man and that it's not just a cover up for the club having a lack of ambition to keep a manager like him.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160614-southampton-accept-ronald-koeman-resignation-3142108.aspx

Confirmed on the Saints FC website. No thanks from the club, just a confirmation that his resignation has been accepted.

Nathan redmond about to sign.The ship sails on.Will Everton ( a club with REAL ambition)be
    a Titanic type move for Koeman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So whose next for Southampton? A lot of people thinking it might be Fran De Boer.

Personally if I was involved in the process the man I would be chasing is Manuel Pellegrini. He did a wonderful job at Villareal and at Malaga either side of his season at Real Madrid.

Edit to add: I'm sure managers will be lining up to go there seeing as how Pocchetino and Koeman did well and moved on to bigger jobs after a short spell there.

Rudi Garcia being touted as our next manager. Gone from not being mentioned to being the bookies favorite within a matter of hours. Looks like a good fit, good at bringing younger players through.

Pellegrini now being mentioned?
    Sad to hear Tony Byrne former Saint and Ireland international
    has passed away R.I.P

• Advertisement

Looking increasing likely that it is going to be Claude Puel. I know very little about him but his record leaves me somewhat underwhelmed. That said, if he is appointed, I'll trust the clubs decision. They must see him as a good fit.

Hmm, I would like to be able to trust the club, but something tells me we'll get the cheap option and all this "not right fit" stuff coming out about others just means "wont pay them enough". Dunno why I should doubt the club though as the last 2 were great choices.

Rumour mill that Pellegrini would take the job if offered.With Mane
    and Wanyama on their way need to stabilise the rocking ship,AGAIN.

Exactly, we need someone in there ASAP so that those who want to stay and play for the new manager will settle and those that want out get it over with quickly. Delaying the appointment only grows uncertainty and risks more going. I read in a daily echo post on FB that the club have discounted Pellegrini - which makes me worried we're going for the cheap option.

Hmm, I would like to be able to trust the club, but something tells me we'll get the cheap option and all this "not right fit" stuff coming out about others just means "wont pay them enough". Dunno why I should doubt the club though as the last 2 were great choices.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2016/ogc-nice-the-alternative-football-success-story/
    This article sounds positive in terms of bringing through youth, but like you i'm fairly mehhhh about him. As you say, the last 2 worked out well for the club and Pochetino was very much an unknown quantity when he arrived. You could add Nigel to that list too, he did ok in his time here ;) , but when he joined it was a case of "who?"

Yes, Nigel does of course deserve a mention in the "worked out well" list :)

zztop wrote: »
    Rumour mill that Pellegrini would take the job if offered.With Mane
    and Wanyama on their way need to stabilise the rocking ship,AGAIN.

Victor is gone, Mane I'm not sure. Mane didn't get on at all with Koeman and I've read he is much happier in the club now and doesn't want away any more. That said if a stupid offer comes in, I think the board would take it, but it would have to be a stupid offer as he has 2 years left on his contract

Only 11m for Wanyama who was worth 25m? last year and
    was never a happy camper here.Unless Mane is prepared to
    stay and play he should be sold for top dollar.

Only 11m for Wanyama who was worth 25m? last year and
    was never a happy camper here.Unless Mane is prepared to
    stay and play he should be sold for top dollar.

The problem is that Victor has only 1 year left on his contract. If he had 2, we could probably hold out for the 25m. However the alternative is that he stays and runs his contract down and we get nothing. The other thing with Victor is that it is only Spurs who are interested in him, so there is no competing interest to push the price up. It is Spurs offer of 11m or nothing. To be fair to Victor, he whinged last summer about not being allowed to move but he knuckled down and had a decent season, much like Morgan did the previous year.

http://www.victorwanyama.co.uk/dear-all-i-will-never-forget-my-time-in-southampton-football-club-i-will-keep-club-forever-in-my-heart/

Mane on the other hand has 2 years left, so we are in the position that we can hold out for a top dollar offer.

Depreciated by a million a month since last year.Redmond doing
    his medical and will replace Mane it seems.Life goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Next (small) signing Nano

Anyone heard of him?

http://readsouthampton.com/2016/06/27/saints-on-brink-of-signing-spanish-striker/

According to Marca, via Sport Witness, Southampton are on the brink of signing Nano from Tenerife in the coming days.

The report says that Nano is flying in from Spain to complete the deal after an agreement was struck between the two sides.

Southampton are thought to have offered Nano a four-year contract at St.Mary’s, earning roughly £24k-per-week.

Nano has already flown in from Spain to talk terms with Southampton and is eager to get the deal done.

The 21-year-old striker was being courted by Championship sides Aston Villa and Newcastle, but Southampton have swooped in ahead of them and now look set to complete the signing soon.

Nano scored 14 goals in 35 matches in the second-tier of Spanish football last season, attracting interest from a number of suitors.

Newcastle striker Ayoze Perez also came across to England from Tenerife and Southampton are hoping that Nano can impress as much as Perez has in his time in England.

However, some may be sceptical after the signing of Juanmi from Spain last summer. Juanmi spent just one year at the club before joining Real Sociedad this summer.

So Mane to Liverpool is a done deal @ £34m... Good money for him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You paid what... 12?

Klopp might turn him into the next Aubameyang. Dont know.
    He looked great at Salzburg and he didnt do bad at Southampton, expected a bit more consistency though
    Doubt he ll all of a sudden will have that at liverpool

So Mane to Liverpool is a done deal @ £34m... Good money for him??

Not sure it is a wise move, but that is his call. For his first few months, he ran around like a headless chicken but was given time to settle in. The liverpool fans will expect him to be worth every one of those £34m from the start. I'm not convinced that he will be allowed to take the time to settle in. If he doesn't hit the ground running, I can see the fans getting on his back. I guess all that money will console him. TBF to Sadio, he made it clear from day 1 that he saw Saints as a stepping stone, he never professed to wanting to stay at Saints long term.
    #WeMarchOn

He is very young but would need to develop a lot to justify
    that fee.Cant say his smiling face will be missed.
    Nanu Nanu or Nano Nano never heard of him?Free transfer
    cant go wrong.

http://www.squawka.com/news/why-claude-puels-record-in-france-makes-him-perfect-for-southamptons-long-sighted-strategy/709869

Looking more likely that Claude Puel is the boards choice for manager. After read the article above, I'm warming to him. Announcement expected tomorrow

Good article, I also am warming to the idea and am looking forward to seeing how he gets on. Will be pleased if it's all tied up by the end of the week and he can get on with things.

Looks like ben arfa will be coming with him.

BBC claim Puel is a done deal. Think I'm pleased!

• Advertisement

BBC claim Puel is a done deal. Think I'm pleased!

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160630-claude-puel-announcement-southampton-first-team-manager-3162443.aspx

Yip, confirmed. Disappointed that Sammy Lee is going, he seemed to be well respected by the players and seemed to be genuinely happy here. Puel's assistant will be Eric Black whose reputation is somewhat tarnished by his associations with Villa and Garde. Hopefully he works out, the board must have faith in him.

Very exciting news of Bayern Munich star Hjobjerg signing if it
    takes place.12m or so for a player Pep took particular interest in.
    Looks excellent in videos and hope it happens.

Delighted for Jose and Cedric. Fonte showing that you dont have to play for one of the big boys to win things. Cant help but wonder if Morgan would have had a more active role in the French team had he stayed at Saints. He has hardly set the world alight since his move and seemed to be closer to the French team before his move. Then again, I am sure that his ManU salary will console him

391434.jpg

Well deserved although i thought Cedric was getting a bit of a roasting.
    Pele off for 13m and not to Everton.Good business selling players at their
    peak.

great to see Shane Long joining Ryan Bertrand in signing new deals.

• Advertisement

Got tickets for the Watford game, although as I've pointed out to the kids, we typically start ****e so not sure we'll get much from it...

Got tickets for the Watford game, although as I've pointed out to the kids, we typically start ****e so not sure we'll get much from it...

How do you get there. I looked a while ago and flybe flights didn't really tie up with the game which meant having to stay for 2 nights. Ended up quite costly

Assured of a win then.

So a new season.Lots of teams strengthened and with saints in the
    Europa League/new manager etc reckon 10th would be a good finish.
    Like to see some real effort being made in the cups.

• Advertisement

Assured of a win then.

Sadly not quite! First "non win" the kids have seen! First half was pretty bad, very sloppy, losing possession without looking like they knew what to do in front of goal. Second half however was much better and if we were fully match sharp with Fonte etc then we should have won no bother. Enough to be optimistic about I think. Shame the next one is at Old Trafford on a Friday, although no harm getting it over with.

As others have said, finishing as high as last season with the Europa etc will be a tall order. I'd be happy with around 10th as long as we seriously try and win a cup.

Sorry Duzzie, was travelling for work up to the day I went to England and started a reply at some point but clearly never posted it... Flights from Dub to Soton are a nightmare. That route is far too expensive. I'm originally from Winchester, so stay with my parents and luckily have a sister in Birmingham who drove us - flights to BHX less than a third of the price to soton!

Sadly not quite! First "non win" the kids have seen! First half was pretty bad, very sloppy, losing possession without looking like they knew what to do in front of goal. Second half however was much better and if we were fully match sharp with Fonte etc then we should have won no bother. Enough to be optimistic about I think. Shame the next one is at Old Trafford on a Friday, although no harm getting it over with.

As others have said, finishing as high as last season with the Europa etc will be a tall order. I'd be happy with around 10th as long as we seriously try and win a cup.

Sorry Duzzie, was travelling for work up to the day I went to England and started a reply at some point but clearly never posted it... Flights from Dub to Soton are a nightmare. That route is far too expensive. I'm originally from Winchester, so stay with my parents and luckily have a sister in Birmingham who drove us - flights to BHX less than a third of the price to soton!

Watched the game on the TV and agree with your summary. Hojbjerb looked very good, on a different level to most others on the pitch, could be very good for us this season. Expect a bid from the scousers in the summer. Redmond looked very busy and could also bee a good buy. Tadic looked good, hopefully he can keep his form.

'That closed diamond system doesn't create chances'

Murinho

This Southampton is not the Southampton with Le Tissier

Etc

Impressive for 60 odd minutes and will beat a lot of teams but 10th looks a good bet.

Europa draw tonight. Not sure how the seedings work but a game against Dundalk in Landsdown Road would be nice

Sorry it is Friday, not tonight

Europa Cup draw

Inter
    Sparta Prague
    Saints
    H. Beer-Sheva

Tough Draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Was really hoping for Dundalk. Not a bad group though.

League 1 to the San Siro in 5 years, not too shabby.

Fonte staying apparently and Boufal for 21m.
    3 points tomorrow for a good week all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

That was the single worst collection of official decisions I have seen in a while. Absolutely raging. Totally did not deserve to lose.

Really wish the coverage stayed when the final whistle went. Id expect most of the Southampton staff to go mental at the ref

From what I saw I agree - I ended up with a good HD stream but in Spanish, still the ref looked terrible! Peno looked very soft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement