Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Watched the incident and highlights which included the referee afterwards
    and couldnt see any Saints player going to shake his hand.The yellow cards
    handed out in the penalty area showed how completely stupid the decisions not to give Long a free,stop the match for the head injury and the hat trick of errors giving a penalty.
    Besides that the team looked good.

Looks like Eric Black is on his way out.
    4 wins and a draw and no goals conceded is a great run.
    Does Sammy Lee speak french.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Looking like he'll have to go, although he's denying actually talking about bribes. Not clear if he was at SFC or Villa at the time?

I'd have taken a draw last night before we started, but in the end was disappointed that we didn't get the win. Should have done. But a clean sheet far away from home is a good result. Just wish Long would find some scoring form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Not looking good for Eric. From what I have seen the worst he did was to say that he knew someone who would take bungs. He didn't take one, suggest he'd take one or act in a way to arrange someone else taking one, just that he knew someone who would. The conversation was on sept 2nd so during his saints appointment. That said he has been foolish IMO and after Krueger's high moral ground statement of a few days ago, I'd say Eric is done for. The Villa fans are showing no sympathy towards him.

AFAIK he was taken on to be a translator on the training pitch bur we have several french speaking players, such as Hojbjerg, Pied and Boufal, so i suspect Eric isn't indispensable,

As for Sammy, despite his scouseness, I would have him back in a heartbeat. Very good coach who seemed to fit in well. He left saints to join fat Sam's England set-up, so I guess he might be available now.

Saints taking 6,715 away fans to the San Siro tomorrow. As Inter are in melt-down it could sound like a home game. I'd bet Pelle would have loved to have been playing in this one.

2009/10 - Southampton start the season on -10 points in League One
    2009/10 - Inter Milan win the UEFA Champions League

Squad that has traveled to Milan for Internazionale.
    399545.jpg

Not sure what to make of that either...

Took the kids to St Mary's last night. Was an amazing evening! We got to the ground early so met most of the starting 11 as they arrived and got shirts signed etc. Shame Long was injured as he didn't show up with the others. We need to be more clinical up front but delighted with the result!

Hey Duzie you dont have the same effect as Big Moose has on the team.
    Love a win tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Delighted with the win yesterday, but made for nervous watching not being able to get the 2nd or 3rd! We have to sort that out else we'll be dropping too many points.

Sweet as toffee.

A draw after 3 defeats.Liverpool twice and Arsenal in the cup if the canaries
    choke.What a start to the new Year.

Annoyingly my kids unbeaten live run came to a sh*tty end at home to West Brom...

At least still in the running to get to Wembley.Hope Mane isnt back.

Ha ha mane can go wherever he wants now.Great performance and result.
    A similar 1-0 in the final will do nicely.Hope VVD is back but credit to the
    centre backs and the whole side who played superbly.

• Advertisement

zztop wrote: »
    Ha ha mane can go wherever he wants now.Great performance and result.
    A similar 1-0 in the final will do nicely.Hope VVD is back but credit to the
    centre backs and the whole side who played superbly.

Delighted for Stephens. Not long ago he was being written off by many as not being good enough. He had huge boots to fill last night and he really did step up to the plate. Watching him, you'd think he'd been in the team for ages, he looked very composed and confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

When I saw VVD wasn't playing before the match I honestly gave up hope but after 15 minutes and only one mistake I knew there was a chance (also Liverpool looking crap). I really hope this progression with Puels system continues.

Here is hoping Hull can pull off something tonight (as tickets for the final will half in price) :)

https://twitter.com/Ahoybjerg/status/824398129260793856

Is that referring to Puels outstretched arms or the fact that
    lallana,lovren & clyne should have never left the Saints LOL
    Not to mention Jose Fonte who wants to win trophies...
    Looks like Gabbiadini is about to sign and a Chinese take over
    is imminent.
    Repeat of 1976 result on the cards......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Not stopped by in a while, great result on Weds, Liverhampton fans very quiet in the job :pac:

Long Lane has now been renamed Shane Long Lane as well!

16298931_10154862183576380_1645645455683443817_n.jpg?oh=a4854a013cafb698fe199c3411c616fc&oe=5901956B

Another very frustrating game last night that we shouldn't have lost. Lost count of the number of points we've thrown away due to lack of ability to score when on top of a game.

Thoughts on the new signings? At least one is a striker, hope he works out and settles quickly!

• Advertisement

• Coleman on the score sheet

BigMoose wrote: »
    Another very frustrating game last night that we shouldn't have lost. Lost count of the number of points we've thrown away due to lack of ability to score when on top of a game.

Thoughts on the new signings? At least one is a striker, hope he works out and settles quickly!

Up and down season but a win on the 26th would make it huge.Mixed
    feelings about the transfer situation. Fonte was shown up last night and
    with VVD out for 2 months more a CB seemed to be a priority.Maybe with
    Gardos back it was felt it was seen as a replacement.
    JRod apparently wanted a move so is Gabbiadini a replacement? When if ever Austin returns for long term availability makes it a necessary purchase as neither Shlong or Redmond are never going to score a lot.Caceres is a free agent and would be a good signing at CB but really it looks like other than the final against United the season will peter out.

Caceras has signed until the end of the season.If he is fit
    its a great signing.

Come on you saints.
    1-0 will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Come on you saints.
    1-0 will do.
    Are your lot playing today then? Watching the media this past week or so, I thought only one team were playing at Wembley today.

Come on you saints.
    1-0 will do.

1-0 would do but if we score early and it ends that way I'll be needing new underwear by end. A confident 4-0 would be nicer!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Unlucky saints.

You deserved it more than Manu but the ref bottled it wiping out your 1st goal and by not sending off linegard .

Consolations from a spurs fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

davycc wrote: »
    Unlucky saints.

You deserved it more than Manu but the ref bottled it wiping out your 1st goal and by not sending off linegard .

Consolations from a spurs fan

Tbf they should have had one red and that tackle on Martial could have easily seen red.

That yer man didn't get a second yellow or a straight red for the elbow on Herrera beggered belief.

Anyway, Southampton were brilliant today, the better team for most if the game. A draw after 90 would have been a fairer result given as bad as we were we still scored 3.

1976 Cup Final
    1979 League Cup Final
    2003 Cup Final
    2017 League Cup Final
    and not once have Saints got to wear their first kit.
    Is the bias towards the 'big'clubs that blatant.

Needed that win.Redmond has really improved since he
    got called up for England.Long just not good enough in
    front of goal.

• Advertisement

All Time Premiership Table Top 20

Saints 12th (Balls.ie)

POINTS TEAM
    2009 Manchester United
    1801 Arsenal
    1771 Chelsea
    1664 Liverpool
    1429 Tottenham Hotspur
    1316 Everton
    1223 Aston Villa
    1183 Newcastle United
    1154 Manchester City
    995 West Ham United
    970 Blackburn Rovers
    847 Southampton
    692 Leeds United
    657 Middlesbrough
    614 Sunderland
    586 Fulham
    575 Bolton Wanderers
    500 Leicester City
    432 West Bromwich Albion
    416 Stoke City
    361 Charlton Athletic
    329 Crystal Palace
    301 Birmingham City

A 0-0 draw tomorrow and Saints finish 8th.A run in the Europa league
    and with a bit of luck would have won the cup at Wembley.
    So why is there speculation that Puel is to be sacked? Poch and Koeman
    walked away so what can the club expect from a manager.He deserves at
    least another season.As for the players VVD looks to have played his last game, Bertrand says he is off,Cedric talk of going but sure thats nothing new
    every season end.OWTSGMI.

Yeah, I dont get all this Puel sacking crap either. Top half finish after selling more top players, a Europa league run with a fantastic win against Inter, Wembley final which we were bloody unlucky not to win... It's not been a bad season at all! Yes, i get the frustration with lack of goals scored and we must sort that, but we've had some key injuries too.

I guess key here is what happens over the summer and what Puel brings in assuming the inevitable goes out...

And so another season.A new manager and the encouraging signing of Lemina.
    Is it going to be 0-0 tomorrow or is Gabbi back on form.Realistically will do well
    to finish 8th but the top 10 looks manageable.Like to see a Cb in for double VD
    in addition to berdanek?OWTSGMI

And so another season.A new manager and the encouraging signing of Lemina.
    Is it going to be 0-0 tomorrow or is Gabbi back on form.Realistically will do well
    to finish 8th but the top 10 looks manageable.Like to see a Cb in for double VD
    in addition to berdanek?OWTSGMI

Any truth that Spurs have made a move to sign Cedric ?

Any truth that Spurs have made a move to sign Cedric ?

First I have heard of that and I have been all over the transfer news with FPL starting.

Someone was certainly interested in Cedric, cant remember who. Spot on with the 0-0 prediction zztop :( Need to get this goal drought sorted asap!! At least we can defend without VVD.

Rumours were
    Cedric to Barca
    Bertrand to Man city
    VVD to pool( now chelsea)
    New owners from China will bring changes which at present are unknown..
    GOAnnnnn the saints.

A new Dutch centre half from Lazio...Wesley Hoedt 15m. Looks good and badly needed.
    What happens to his team mate ? On his way maybe.

• Advertisement

Why did it take so long to sack that disaster..now have a chance to stay up.

Why did it take so long to sack that disaster..now have a chance to stay up.

Whilst not a fan of Pellagrino, the senior players have to take their share of the blame. None of them have performed this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why did it take so long to sack that disaster..now have NO chance to stay up.

That would be my take on it. I don't think he had lost the dressing room.

Seems he had lost them at Newcastle. I couldn't see him getting enough wins to stay up on the evidence and so getting rid of him now was no worse chance of survival than keeping him. Should have got rid of him early Jan to give us enough time, but I guess I was hoping he'd learn and get things sorted. But no, same every week. Think the point at Burnley delayed it a couple of weeks for him, but the home form has been bloody awful. Although it was that too at the end of last season.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards, who do you think we'll get? Or who would you like to see?

Would be happy with mark Hughes.Saints need to settle for a manager who will stay.Letting Puel go was a mistake imho.

Well that's that then.
    Saints calendar 40 cent in Heatons.Collectors item........:confused:

• Advertisement

OWTSGMI

Appoint Hughes please and avoid another season like this one.:D

I'd be for appointing him and a couple of stable mid-table seasons!

Yep. The guy might not be exciting but it seems like he actually gives a ****. I wanted them to give him a contract after he slated the officials after the Everton game.

I will take a dull manager who gives a **** over an exciting manager who is going to be checking his messages for the next job.

Same reason I love Sean Dyche. Comes across as honest and doesn't hold back when calling out bull****.

Good News
    Top Ten next season;);):)

And maybe not, but I dont know how the Sunday Times tips saints for relegation.All the talk about Lemina etc going
    didnt happen and overall a good transfer window.Ings last minute and the rest tied up early.Good job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement