Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

In England you mean? check out the Benfica transfers out list!

J. Oblak 16m
    N. Matić 25m
    L. Marković 25m
    E. Garay 6m
    Kardec 4m

and Gaitán is almost certainly going to be sold at some point.

Garay for 6m is incredible value.

Soton are getting some serious money for the players they've sold. I'm astounded at the figure for Chambers who's only played ~20 first team EPL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

syngindub wrote: »
    I've never seen a clear out like it.
    2 more southampton players rumoured to be going to spurs. whats going on?

Katharina Liebherr dad had a dream - Nicola Cortese helped execute the dream - sadly Mr Liebharr dies, left the club to his daughter , who has no interest in football - so just wants to sell off the jewels , before offloading the club. Very very sad , sometimes greed has no limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone will buy the club in the next year (if they stay up) and another generation of kids will come to the fore and be sold off and so on. Soton are never going to be allowed to grow to the point of being able to challenge for anything beyond the League or FA cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

pochettino plus

Shaw, Lallana, Lambert, Chambers, Lovern (95m-ish just on this line, if fees touted about are to be believed)

and potentially now Schneiderlin and Rodriguez apparently going to Spurs

and yet the mad thing is I dont think what they have left plus a few additions would be that far off staying up. Yes sad considering they were fighting for Europe last season but for a team who only came up a season or 2 ago to even be able to take such a hit is remarkable

Osvaldo looking to leave too, Fonte not signing a new contract....

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Apparently Karen Liebhrr wants to sell.Maybe explains why Cortese
    left .How long before the Sunday Times does an expose on this debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

thebaz wrote: »
    Katharina Liebherr dad had a dream - Nicola Cortese helped execute the dream - sadly Mr Liebharr dies, left the club to his daughter , who has no interest in football - so just wants to sell off the jewels , before offloading the club. Very very sad , sometimes greed has no limits

If that was the case why did she buy the two lads from Holland?

Id say the plan is to sell off all the people who want to leave, replace them with cheaper versions who are slightly worse but hungary and then still finish top 10. Achievable too if you ask me. They are getting top dollar for their players, a shrewd manager will be able to replace most of them. Hardest to replace will be Lambert, who was the worse value sale, 4m is nothing for a player as important as him. I would of sold the rest myself for the money reported, not one was worth what they were sold for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

I just find it funny how Mourinho and Pelligrini haven't been interested in any Soton players :D
    Still flabbergasted over Utd paying 30m and 120k Wages for a lb who can't defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It does seem that the English Premium has increased still further this pre-season. Clubs have much more money to play with, making it more expensive to prize players away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I just find it funny how Mourinho and Pelligrini haven't been interested in any Soton players :D
    Still flabbergasted over Utd paying 30m and 120k Wages for a lb who can't defend.

Ye, you're right. No way he deserved to be in PFA team of the year last season. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Daniel Alves and Sergio Ramos are in the team of the year every year, what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

To be honest i dont think southampton have planned to sell all these players in one summer but the fees being offered for them it would be unreal not to take the cash. if southampton had a poor season this year and finished 15th the fees that these players could have commanded may have dropped. is it a shame for the club to lose a lot of players they have trained up. yes of course. But from a business stand point it is the correct call.

new players will be bought, others will come through the youth set up and they will continue. If one summer pays off a clubs debt and allows them to operate without financial strain it is imprtant to seize that oppurtunity.

None of the players sold are worth the money paid for them (except maybe lambert for 4mil). Southampton are the winners out of everyone of those deals.

100mil give or take for six players is just great business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Daniel Alves and Sergio Ramos are in the team of the year every year, what's your point?

For good reason they are. You said Shaw cant defend, I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Would love to hear some positivity coming from someone at SMS. Pain in my face with the club and the way its being run. I understand that the sales are "good business", but this in the end is only for a very short term gain. To get in 10+ players and expect them to gel straight away is crazy talk and will leave us in the bottom 3rd of the table for the season. The way its going I'll be amazed if Koeman is still there at the start of the season.

Talk of breaking the top 6 is boll***s at the end of the day. We proved last year we were very close, we beat big clubs home and away, sadly I feel it will be a long time before Saints were anywhere as strong as they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

aodea wrote: »
    To be honest i dont think southampton have planned to sell all these players in one summer but the fees being offered for them it would be unreal not to take the cash. if southampton had a poor season this year and finished 15th the fees that these players could have commanded may have dropped. is it a shame for the club to lose a lot of players they have trained up. yes of course. But from a business stand point it is the correct call.

new players will be bought, others will come through the youth set up and they will continue. If one summer pays off a clubs debt and allows them to operate without financial strain it is imprtant to seize that oppurtunity.

None of the players sold are worth the money paid for them (except maybe lambert for 4mil). Southampton are the winners out of everyone of those deals.

100mil give or take for six players is just great business.

Great Business perhaps, but to lose so many first teamers in such a short space of time doesn't make good football sense

POKERKING wrote: »
    If that was the case why did she buy the two lads from Holland?

Id say the plan is to sell off all the people who want to leave, replace them with cheaper versions who are slightly worse but hungary and then still finish top 10. Achievable too if you ask me. They are getting top dollar for their players, a shrewd manager will be able to replace most of them. Hardest to replace will be Lambert, who was the worse value sale, 4m is nothing for a player as important as him. I would of sold the rest myself for the money reported, not one was worth what they were sold for.

I thought it was a football club trying to go somewhere ,that had developed an incredible Academy , team and style of home produced talent - and now everything is butchered by Kat Liebharr - buying 2 mediocre players and then selling about 8 or 9 of your best players shows a complete lack of ambition - can you imagine morale ? - I certainly wouldn't join a club like that - even Koeman , the new manager is poking fun at the situation on twitter - don't be surprised if he is next to go.

• Advertisement

So Kreuger sez 3 players to be bought in before the end of the week
    and Morgan nor JRod for sale.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

greendom wrote: »
    Great Business perhaps, but to lose so many first teamers in such a short space of time doesn't make good football sense

Spot on, actually don't even think it's great business. Not many companies would sell of the bulk of their assets in one go. That would be a kind of fire sale or when a firm of asset strippers take over. Neither of these examples are good business for the long term, which surely everyone, even those with their eye on the pound signs, want.

zztop wrote: »
    So Kreuger sez 3 players to be bought in before the end of the week
    and Morgan nor JRod for sale.:confused:

Very brave statement, Jrod must feel like he missed the boat!
    But looking at the way that saints have operated over the last few years they must have some serious irons in a lot of fires.
    His interview was enough to make me optimistic again anyway, heres hoping it all happens. :cool:

blaze1 wrote: »
    Very brave statement, Jrod must feel like he missed the boat!
    His interview was enough to make me optimistic again anyway, heres hoping it all happens. :cool:

Morgan already tweeting he's not happy - it really is shocking how badly run the club has become, since Nicola Cortese left . Reminicent of the fall of Blackburn

Bertrand in from Chelsea ON LOAN .Not very reassuring that the
    transfer kitty is going to be used.
    Celtic lose 4-1.Does that mean Forster & van Dijk can be bought.
    Or maybe look at some of St Pats players.

• Advertisement

And Osvaldo loan with a midfielder Taider coming on loan.
    No loss Ossie but loan players? Does this mean Morgan and
    even Cork may be going?

Shocked at the Taider on loan, but would take it to get rid off Ossie.

Celtic fans must think of Saints the same way we now think of pool. Boruc, Wanyama now Forster & Van Dijk. Would like another CF with PL experience as well and I'll start to feel a bit more at ease for the start of the season.

You have got your wish Blaze1.

Shame he didn't headbutt Lovern.

Saw this on the echo.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11392559.Saints_aim_to_wrap_up_keeper_deal/?ref=mac

Don't think that Boruc will hang around to be number 2, great signing for that price though imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Celtic fans must think of Saints the same way we now think of pool. Boruc, Wanyama now Forster & Van Dijk. Would like another CF with PL experience as well and I'll start to feel a bit more at ease for the start of the season.

And to think I was hoping that we go back in for another of your players in Clyne. :p

Must be horrible to see so many good players leave your club though. Is actually a bit sad to see the manager and so many good players leave in the one summer and know that there is a chance that a couple more may leave before the window shuts.

From the outside looking in it would appear to be either asset stripping or some major behind the scene fall outs, but really do hope that Southampton FC can consolidate and bounce back.

As a kid growing up, trips down to the Dell were amongst my favourite away day ventures, and nothing changed as I got older and the trips became to St Mary's. Always felt, and still feels, like a trip to a proper football club, and whilst I am very happy with the players my team got from your your team, I do feel regret that it was at the expense of a much liked club (regardless of how much money went your way)

Just hope that Krueger backs Koeman heavily, and the latter raids the Dutch league for some quality additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Liverpool got 3 good players but I do think that they paid way over the odds for both Lallana and Lovren. I reckon the saints got the better deal in those 2 moves. Both were very disrespectful to the club and fans with the way they conducted themselves to push through their moves so I'm glad to see the back of them after the way they behaved. Hopefully the flood gates have now been closed and no more will leave.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    And to think I was hoping that we go back in for another of your players in Clyne. :p

Must be horrible to see so many good players leave your club though. Is actually a bit sad to see the manager and so many good players leave in the one summer and know that there is a chance that a couple more may leave before the window shuts.

From the outside looking in it would appear to be either asset stripping or some major behind the scene fall outs, but really do hope that Southampton FC can consolidate and bounce back.

As a kid growing up, trips down to the Dell were amongst my favourite away day ventures, and nothing changed as I got older and the trips became to St Mary's. Always felt, and still feels, like a trip to a proper football club, and whilst I am very happy with the players my team got from your your team, I do feel regret that it was at the expense of a much liked club (regardless of how much money went your way)

Just hope that Krueger backs Koeman heavily, and the latter raids the Dutch league for some quality additions.

Certainly looks like the exodus has stopped.

Breaking News on SSN Celtic have been re-instated to the CL.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11945/9410296/champions-league-celtic-boost-as-legia-warsaw-face-uefa-inquiry

So there goes the Forster deal

lorin Gardos a Centre Back from Steau Bucharest about to sign:cool:

Morgan is reportedly on strike and is not included in the squad to play Beyer tomorrow. Not good. Looks like the club is digging its heals in though. Good to see

Certainly looks like the exodus has stopped.

Breaking News on SSN Celtic have been re-instated to the CL.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11945/9410296/champions-league-celtic-boost-as-legia-warsaw-face-uefa-inquiry

So there goes the Forster deal

Medical done today.£10m.
    Still need 2 keepers.Is Boruc Staying?

• Advertisement

Haven't heard anything otherwise. Would be great to have the 2 of them. We really struggled when Boruc was out last season. Gazinga isn't up to scratch.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11400518.Koeman_hails_Taider_impact/?ref=mr

I like the last part

“Normally we will be more aggressive and I spoke to the team after the match said ‘OK, we missed maybe 10-15 per cent and maybe that’s friendly football. We will have it next week and we need it next week.’”

I cant wait for Sunday to be out of the way. Would happily take a draw and then 3 points when they come to SMS.

Shane Long for 12m.
    Honest but expensive.

Shane Long for 12m.
    Honest but expensive.

Pacey but I hope his goal rate improves though.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/tottenham-willing-to-sell-11-players-including-andros-townsend-aaron-lennon-and-sandro-9665793.html

This made me smile. It would be nice to take Townsend & Remy. Would give us plenty of firepower and cover.

Plus i'd be sure that this would have been left out any conversations they had with Poch before he joined :pac::pac::pac:

Shane Long for 12m.
    Honest but expensive.

Underwhelmed by this. Doesn't strike me as a Southampton type player, more like a hoofball player. Too much to. Hope to be proved wrong.

Further underwhelming news
    Cork to Palace for 3(three) m.:eek:

Further underwhelming news
    Cork to Palace for 3(three) m.:eek:
    Yeah and Morgan still whining saying that he had a verbal agreement that he could leave. Got that in writing Morgan??? A verbal agreement aint worth the paper it's written on. If spurs were that keen on him, they would make a proper decent offer.

I suspect we haven't seen that last of the exodus. I'll glad when the transfer window shuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anybody prepared to have a stab at the weekend's starting team? Will Isgrove play?

Gardos has signed so hes available.RK wants to sign Vlaar
    and Long has signed and will to play up front with Pelle.
    Doubt if isgrove will be playing or Schneiderlin.
    20m spent today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Have to say the Long signing fairly surprised me so soon after he joined Hull but with that offer Hull didn't have much choice. I think he should be a very good signing. Can see him doing well.

Forster
    Clyne Fonte Josh Bertrand
    Tadic Wanyama WProwse Davis
    Pelle Long

Subs
    Boruc
    Gallagher inj & Gardos
    Taider
    Targett
    Isgrove
    Yoshida
    Ramirez
    vs LIVERPOOL

Assuming Cork/Morgan are on their way?

Should have had a draw.Very encouraging for the season.

Very negative reports on display vs WBA,Watched extended highlights
    on SKY and thought Saints were much better team.Tadic in particular
    looks a great buy but Pelle looks heavy and slow.Long looks promising
    and from reports 3/4players being watched for acquisition before Monday.
    Great to see Lovren do so well against City:p

Very negative reports on display vs WBA,Watched extended highlights
    on SKY and thought Saints were much better team.Tadic in particular
    looks a great buy but Pelle looks heavy and slow.Long looks promising
    and from reports 3/4players being watched for acquisition before Monday.
    Great to see Lovren do so well against City:p

Letiss giving him death on twitter. Always great to see.

Great win vs Hammers.
    A winger called Maine from Salzburg and Alderweilder CB
    appear to be odds on to sign.

• Advertisement

Great win vs Hammers.
    A winger called Maine from Salzburg and Alderweilder CB
    appear to be odds on to sign.

Both Mane and Alderweilder have signed and look good prospects. Dissapointed that Gaston has gone but he really hasn't lived up to his potential. At least it is on loan with no option to buy so he'll be back in the summer with a good bit of game time under his belt, ready to rip up the premier league next year, easy to forget he is still only 22. Sad to see Hoover go too, he was not up to the job on the pitch but a really nice guy and loyal. I can see him doing well at Norwich in the championship.

Hoover had to go
    He was only gathering dust...;)

(Edinburgh winning joke)

:D Ahead of Liverpool & Spurs for the moment.
    Looking good to finish 8th again this season.
    Add the league or FA cups should be an option.

Boruc gone to Bournemouth on emergency loan until January. Least he'll be getting 1st team football but defo the nail in the coffin for him at Southampton I would imagine..

No harm so long as he can be recalled if Forster gets injured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement