Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO people are a joke!!

• 04-07-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I was emailing the CAO about how to go about changing the courses I have on my CAO because there is not much space and not much details and they are not giving me good details at all and being fairly rude. 'Its fairly clear' without explaining it.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

The cao change of mind is closed is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

I emailed asking is there anyway I could change ... and I got this back.....

Hello

As you changed your mind recently, you will be
    posted a Statement of Course Choice with the
    courses you have at present and you will be able
    to change these within 7 days by returning that
    statement, with your amendments to CAO within 7
    days.

Regards

Ivor Gleeson(Íomhair Ó Glíosáin)

General Manager(Bainisteoir Ginearálta)

Then I told them I didnt understand really... and got this....

Hi

The statement I sent earlier is quite clear I
    believe.

As you previous changed your choices recently, we
    send out a Statement of Course Choices and if you
    read the instructions on this document, it will
    explain how to change you choices again.

You need to return this form by July 9th.

Regards

Ivor Gleeson(Íomhair Ó Glíosáin)

General Manager(Bainisteoir Ginearálta)

Then I said How do I change it ... because I didnt still understand how to ?? and got this back.....

You should list all your courses in order of
    course preference

under the Amended Column on the statement an post
    it

back to CAO in a envelope

I might just be slow but I'm just confused........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The change of mind actually operates a few days later than the 1st July. I discovered that when looking into it myself after my LC a few years ago. You're given the opportunity to amend the statement that is sent out.

dambarude wrote: »
    The change of mind actually operates a few days later than the 1st July. I discovered that when looking into it myself after my LC a few years ago. You're given the opportunity to amend the statement that is sent out.

Yeah its crazy we aren't told this....but how do I do it ? Send it back and write on the paper what ones to change ? Surely that's not very formal or proper ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

They'll send you a letter so that you can confirm or change your choices. You change the courses on the letter and send it back to them. The letter has to reach them within 7 days of being sent. What's not to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It sounds like the statement they are sending out is for review and confirmation of your recent change of mind form. Luckily your form went in recently enough that you have this additional opportunity to make further changes. Fill in the amendment column on this form when it arrives and return it.

So I send the 'Statement of Course Choices' back blank, and they'll send me out another letter where I fill in all that in about changing..?

I was getting confused as in , I thought I had to write on the 'Statement of Course Choices' or something ?

So I send the 'Statement of Course Choices' back blank, and they'll send me out another letter where I fill in all that in about changing..?

I was getting confused as in , I thought I had to write on the 'Statement of Course Choices' or something ?

no you amend the courses on the 'statement of course choices' letter. In the section that allows for amendments. Did you even read the letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I think you just fill out your courses in order of preference (all of them, even if most of them are listed right in the main column on the left) in the amendment column on the right. There isn't much space but I think you just put them there and send it back. :) That's what I'll be doing anyway! Glad we have a chance to change it again. :o

no you amend the courses on the 'statement of course choices' letter. In the section that allows for amendments. Did you even read the letter?

Yeah but there's no space barely and to add a new course there is def' not enough space?

How is that clear like ?

• Advertisement

I don't see how there's enough space for this though ? :/

Like to add new one or anything....

Yeah but there's no space barely and to add a new course there is def' not enough space?

How is that clear like ?

On the right hand side, there is a column that says "amended" in red writing. Write the Codes of the courses you actually want, in order of preference beside the numbers in this column :L

On the right hand side, there is a column that says "amended" in red writing. Write the Codes of the courses you actually want, in order of preference beside the numbers in this column :L

ah sur jayus...I know now ... I was awfully confused there .. Thank you..Life safer!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yeah its crazy we aren't told this....but how do I do it ? Send it back and write on the paper what ones to change ? Surely that's not very formal or proper ?

How do you think people did it before the internet?... everything was done through the post. They can't leave the site open after July 1st for just a few people. It's all or nothing, so because you left it to the last minute to confirm your choices you have to confirm by post.

To be fair the letter you were sent is fairly clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Do you have to pay to amend your CAO? And can anybody do it now if they wish? :eek: Thanks in advance!

I dont mind post in any way at all.. it was that they didnt leave much space for it all on the sheet and we werent told about it in school. Thats what im on about...

crayon1 wrote: »
    Do you have to pay to amend your CAO? And can anybody do it now if they wish? :eek: Thanks in advance!

I nearly certain you don't have to pay. I didnt hear anything about it anyway !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

I was emailing the CAO about how to go about changing the courses I have on my CAO because there is not much space and not much details and they are not giving me good details at all and being fairly rude. 'Its fairly clear' without explaining it.

Can anyone help?

If you receive a Statement of Course Choices, the instruction printed on it explains how to amend your course choices if you wish to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

I nearly certain you don't have to pay. I didnt hear anything about it anyway !! :)

Change of Minds are free between May 5th and July 1st at 5:15 p.m.

I wounder can I hand the CAO back in by hand rather than posting it and taking the chance they wont receive it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 rainraingoaway

Hiya all,

I think I get how to change it write codes in the left side in amended section beside 1-10 but what I'm wondering is it says not later than 7 days after the date in right corner which is the 2nd July on mine,

So if I register it post tomorrow it will arrive Monday the 9th will that be ok or am I taking a risk should I do my best to post it today ?

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Hope someone can answer me sorry if this is annoying to read on my phone :-\

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ansionnach

cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

The CAO are probably the most competent organisation i've ever dealt with, very efficient, very quick to reply to queries etc.

Wait til you have to deal with College departments and PAC!

The CAO are probably the most competent organisation i've ever dealt with, very efficient, very quick to reply to queries etc.

Wait til you have to deal with College departments and PAC!

You got to be kidding - the CAO are unbelieveably pompous. They wouldn't accept that anything could be wrong with their online system when it was clearly at fault (that's another story) and to top it off told us we were too late and there was nothing we could do about it (the form itself told a different story but they never mentioned that!).
    Who sets a deadline on Sunday evening and has no contactable support in case of problems. Their answer to this was "you should have done it earlier".:eek: I personally have never come across a less professional organisation.
    btw I understand why blink above was confused by the form. For one thing it has room only for the course code in the "Amended" column while the "course title" on the same row is still the original old course. It is just a badly designed form - but typical of the arrogance was the refusal of Ivor Gleeson (Íomhair Ó Glíosáin) to acknowledge that and clarify the procedure for blink. Instead two emails basically telling him he was stupid.

Well I can only speak from personal experience, and on each occasion i've dealt with the CAO i've found them to be efficient and helpful. The same cannot be said for other organisations i've mentioned.

Perhaps you found them pompous but this has not been my experience. In relation to the OP, I think his instructions were clear. On one occasion I was given instructions from the CAO which I found to be unclear so I rang the CAO office and my query was dealt with quickly and efficiently by the lady who took my call.

Like I said, others may have had different experiences but I have always found the CAO a pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Guess this is the best place for this question...anyone who's gotten help off them, did any of you do it by email? Emailed them for help and still havent gotten a reply 4 or 5 days later. :/

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Guess this is the best place for this question...anyone who's gotten help off them, did any of you do it by email? Emailed them for help and still havent gotten a reply 4 or 5 days later. :/

Did you do it via this link: http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=email

If you did and haven't received a reply i'd email them again first thing tomorrow, I never waited more than an hour or two for a reply

Well I can only speak from personal experience, ... I have always found the CAO a pleasure to deal with.

Do you seriously think it is OK for them to offer no contact on the weekend of the deadline. Then not offer the information that there was still time enough by post. Not just not offer the information - the CEO quite specifically said it was too late to do anything. After examining their letter we found that this was untrue. That was the opposite of helpful - a day later and it would have been too late.

I'm glad you had a good experience with them but I just found a refusal - not just to admit that their system was faulty - but a refusal to accept the possibility that it could be faulty. The system that can have no faults does not exist

On the unprofessional side - look again at the emails that the CEO sent to blink above. They are (all three!) garbled like something a five year old child might write, not the CEO of a professional organisation - and made no attempt to clarify the use of the form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Did you do it via this link: http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=email

If you did and haven't received a reply i'd email them again first thing tomorrow, I never waited more than an hour or two for a reply
    Yep I did! :( I'll do that then, thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 AriGle

ansionnach wrote: »
    You got to be kidding - the CAO are unbelieveably pompous. They wouldn't accept that anything could be wrong with their online system when it was clearly at fault (that's another story) and to top it off told us we were too late and there was nothing we could do about it (the form itself told a different story but they never mentioned that!).
    Who sets a deadline on Sunday evening and has no contactable support in case of problems. Their answer to this was "you should have done it earlier".:eek: I personally have never come across a less professional organisation.
    btw I understand why blink above was confused by the form. For one thing it has room only for the course code in the "Amended" column while the "course title" on the same row is still the original old course. It is just a badly designed form - but typical of the arrogance was the refusal of Ivor Gleeson (Íomhair Ó Glíosáin) to acknowledge that and clarify the procedure for blink. Instead two emails basically telling him he was stupid.

Okay, people are people and we can all be wrong but to blame an organisation because you were late? Seriously? Get a life! The CAO gives you plenty of time to change your mind and people complain because the very last day of changing closed a little early? I may not be the only person here thinking "Learn to be organised!" If a deadline is in a month, personally, I try to be ready in two to three weeks so that I can have it in early and save myself the last minute hassle.

And I have personally seen the professionalism that LIVES in the CAO. The employees do their job. They don't do yours. So when they set a deadline, don't cry because YOU were late. That is just childish and since you are applying for a college course, you should be all grown up by now.

Stop blaming the CEO for your problems. Ivor Gleeson has his own life and his own family to deal with so why should he have to manage the affairs of thousands of people who CHOOSE to be late.

Let it go and apply early next time.

Advertisement