Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth getting a PC for gaming ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

photo3hus.jpg

photo2rms.jpg

photozje.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

what does the remote do then? :p

what do you control on it btw, just music/video?
    Outside of media centre it basically controls volume and start stop on videos. It would be very handy if it had some sort of mouse control but I have the phone for that anyway.

2smiggy wrote: »
    it will only be for gaming though. i'm a bit of a tech/game whore , and have spent a fortune in gadgets in the past so why not !?! i'll throw up a few pics in a minute to show my tech-whoredum
    The thing about using a PC though is you can consolidate all your gadgets into one piece of technology and have one box instead of several. I spent years building up to the PC I have now but it's replaced everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

2smiggy wrote: »
    it been 7/8 years since i played games on the PC
    Same here, saved for 16 months and got an i7 last year, well worth the wait and money. Using an old CRT and waiting to save for a projector, well worth picking up a PC-xbox gaming pad, then best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Remotes are so old fashioned. What you want to do is get dragon naturally speaking, set your mic sensitivity to high-ish, sit back and tell, no, Command! Your computer to do stuff ! :)

Saying that, I dropped a 250gb HD into my Linux sat box and now use it instead for watching downloaded stuff. PC downloads direct to it too.

If you're a complete gadget freak, try get your hands on one of the brain controllers. Seriously, it sits on your forehead comfortably and you use it as a mouse, you "will" the mousepointer etc to move with your brain. Overclockers used to sell them, out of stock the last couple month though.

oxo_ wrote: »
    If you're a complete gadget freak, try get your hands on one of the brain controllers.
    You just have to make sure you get the right version, the brain controller I got worked in reverse controlling my brain. I was at the mercy of an evil geniuses plan for world domination for over a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ScumLord wrote: »
    You just have to make sure you get the right version, the brain controller I got worked in reverse controlling my brain. I was at the mercy of an evil geniuses plan for world domination for over a month.

ah! that explains your avatar

• Registered Users Posts: 54,389 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sigh

still no steam sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jate3d9u1qxmwc

€800 will get you a very good gaming pc if you build it other than that you could prob get an alright gaming pc if you buy Alienware or Razor etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

800e got me an amazing PC a year ago. It's still amazing tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what are your specs :)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

newest.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nice,can you play everything/most things on ultra?

Yeah I play everything I have on ultra, maxed out to the last, on 1080p. I suppose skyrim is the most demanding that I have and it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nice,can you play everything/most things on ultra?

he should be able to play anything on ultra. only bf3 should be toned down a wee bit.
    if he will want to play anything ultra for the next 3-4 years, then he just needs to swap GPU.

today 800eu would buy you even more

he should be able to play anything on ultra. only bf3 should be toned down a wee bit.
    if he will want to play anything ultra for the next 3-4 years, then he just needs to swap GPU.

I should mention I OCed the cpu to 4.5ghz and the gpu is already OCed and the frozr version is quite nice.

I was thinking of getting a second 560ti at some point as a boost when I need it, as I hear it scales well?
    today 800eu would buy you even more
    I think mine aged pretty well :D

Only thing I couldnt see was the mobo, put in one with worse sli support. And a different cheap cooler.
    He could probably go for z68 or whatever the newest one is now heh. Probably better gfx for that price these days.

JVDxh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would not bother with 2x560ti now.

Those scale lovely, but you will be limited heavily by low VRAM. Bf3 is the first game which dips over 1gb on 1080p. So for future you better off getting a new gpu.

All right, there goes my carefully laid plans where I got a 750 watt psu :p

what resolution are you playing at tar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

what resolution are you playing at tar?
    1920x1080.

Ew no, I hate white technology things. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

No mouse/keyboard/mousemat/headset/monitor/Windows etc, i think a lot of people forget these "small" things which usually cost quite a bit in the end... 100+ for a decent monitor(A good 150-250 for a good one), 50+ for a mouse/keyboard/mat, maybe 30+ on a headset, nearly 100 for the OS.

Not to mention a desk/chair etc if your completely new to PC. Adds up and thats before you buy any games ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I use my plasma 60" TV for a monitor. As he is playing at 1080 then any new TV can be used.
    Keyboard and mouse can be picked up on the cheap (from work ;)) and upgraded when you need to. Headsets? Depends on how much you want to spend TBH.

My PC cost me €800 all in last Jan and best gaming decision I ever made. Couple that with the fact that I have Netflix and my downloads connected to my TV and Surround sound and it is the best media decision also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

This is probably the best time to get into PC gaming tbh. Its at the end of the consoles lifecycle so PC is streaking ahead of them now in terms of power and graphical prowess. Multiplatform games almost always run and look better on PC, and mod support keeps games alive years after they wouldve been consigned to the bin on console.
    I have a PS3 and 360, and theyre more or less just media players now, with my PC being where i do all my gaming. I only play The Walking dead on my 360 just because i can but it in very cheap instalments and play it with the wife

I use my plasma 60" TV for a monitor. As he is playing at 1080 then any new TV can be used.
    Keyboard and mouse can be picked up on the cheap (from work ;)) and upgraded when you need to. Headsets? Depends on how much you want to spend TBH.

My PC cost me €800 all in last Jan and best gaming decision I ever made. Couple that with the fact that I have Netflix and my downloads connected to my TV and Surround sound and it is the best media decision also

Yeah you "Could" use a 60" TV... but... no.. just no :D How do you manage to play shooters on such a big screen ??? I couldn't do it anyway.

One of the biggest reasons i enjoy gaming on the PC is because of the keyboard and mouse, the first thing i'd recommend to any newcomer to PC gaming is to get a decent gaming mouse/mat. You can get great bundle deals for these, so they're really not that expensive and it makes a huge difference, especially in shooters. The headset is of course optional, but for myself and most others.. a good headset is essential.

Anyway, the point is.. for a newcomer to PC gaming, there are a lot of additional costs besides the base tower that people seem to forget. My PC cost me about 1400euro in November, the actual tower was only about 900 of that (I bought 2 monitors, one being a 120hz one, so its a bit inflated.. but yeah).

Im sure you can still build a decent rig for 800 tho, just not as good as some are suggesting !

Magill wrote: »
    Yeah you "Could" use a 60" TV... but... no.. just no :D How do you manage to play shooters on such a big screen ??? I couldn't do it anyway.

One of the biggest reasons i enjoy gaming on the PC is because of the keyboard and mouse, the first thing i'd recommend to any newcomer to PC gaming is to get a decent gaming mouse/mat. You can get great bundle deals for these, so they're really not that expensive and it makes a huge difference, especially in shooters. The headset is of course optional, but for myself and most others.. a good headset is essential.

Anyway, the point is.. for a newcomer to PC gaming, there are a lot of additional costs besides the base tower that people seem to forget. My PC cost me about 1400euro in November, the actual tower was only about 900 of that (I bought 2 monitors, one being a 120hz one, so its a bit inflated.. but yeah).

Im sure you can still build a decent rig for 800 tho, just not as good as some are suggesting !

I don't like shooters. My Games collection consists of Fallout, Saints Row, Shogun 2, Need for Speed, Witcher, Tropico, Star Trek Armada II, Eft 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 1-3, Portal, war in the North, KOTR, Alan Wake, Warhammer 40,000, Battle for Middle Earth 1&2 + Rise of the Witch King, Ghost Recon 2 and Crysis (Have to have one/two shooters in there) and I find the big screen a god send for all of those.
    It also means that I can sit in my speaker sweet spot and get some great sound effects.
    For 800 last Jan I am running everything on Ultra (Barring Crysis on High) on that screen and loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I don't like shooters. My Games collection consists of Fallout, Saints Row, Shogun 2, Need for Speed, Witcher, Tropico, Star Trek Armada II, Eft 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 1-3, Portal, war in the North, KOTR, Alan Wake, Warhammer 40,000, Battle for Middle Earth 1&2 + Rise of the Witch King, Ghost Recon 2 and Crysis (Have to have one/two shooters in there) and I find the big screen a god send for all of those.
    It also means that I can sit in my speaker sweet spot and get some great sound effects.
    For 800 last Jan I am running everything on Ultra (Barring Crysis on High) on that screen and loving it!

Admittedly it's on a 32" screen but I've tried playing Shogun 2 on my TV and I just cannot read the text, it's way too small. Have you had this issue at all?

danthefan wrote: »
    Admittedly it's on a 32" screen but I've tried playing Shogun 2 on my TV and I just cannot read the text, it's way too small. Have you had this issue at all?

No tbh

One of the biggest reasons i enjoy gaming on the PC is because of the keyboard and mouse, the first thing i'd recommend to any newcomer to PC gaming is to get a decent gaming mouse/mat.
    I haven't had a mouse mat for years. Any bit of paper will do the same thing.
    and mod support keeps games alive years after they wouldve been consigned to the bin on console.
    there's also the games made that will never make it to the consoles. Simulators being the big one. Made by geeks for geeks and are almost as complicated as the real thing. If you find one of those that you like it can become a life long friend probably for less than €20. Those games just never get old.

Do you play with a controller ? Or is your TV like 10 feet from your desk ? It defo depends on the type of game your playing thats for sure, i'd still prefer a good mouse/mat for any of those firstperson/rpg/RTS styled games on your list, and therefore i'd be sitting a few feet from my monitor, thus im getting a much better quality imagine with my monitor than you would be with a 60inch plasma.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I haven't had a mouse mat for years. Any bit of paper will do the same thing.

Im confused... are you saying a bit of paper does the same job for you ? or are you actually suggesting a bit of paper is as good as a good mousemat ?? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Im confused... are you saying a bit of paper does the same job for you ? or are you actually suggesting a bit of paper is as good as a good mousemat ?? :P

He must mean it does the job. No one would put them on the same level.... Right?:confused:

Advertisement