Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth getting a PC for gaming ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Magill wrote: »
    Do you play with a controller ? Or is your TV like 10 feet from your desk ? It defo depends on the type of game your playing thats for sure, i'd still prefer a good mouse/mat for any of those firstperson/rpg/RTS styled games on your list, and therefore i'd be sitting a few feet from my monitor, thus im getting a much better quality imagine with my monitor than you would be with a 60inch plasma.

Desk?? are you mad? It is on a stand and I am sitting all comfy on a couch:pac:

I use a controller for NFS and a few other games that are not on that list.
    I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for most. I also have a wired keyboard and mouse with extra long wires. Never measured where I sit in relation to the screen but remember that you get better image quality as you are up close. Of course if I sit 2 foot from the screen I am going to see blurring. But from my lovely comfy position I love what I got

Edit: It also is great for 3D

He must mean it does the job. No one would put them on the same level.... Right?:confused:

I "aquired" my mouse mat from work. Lovely little thing, hard backed with changeable mat area. The hard back is great as it means that it does not have to be on a solid table

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Im confused... are you saying a bit of paper does the same job for you ? or are you actually suggesting a bit of paper is as good as a good mousemat ?? :P
    He must mean it does the job. No one would put them on the same level.... Right?:confused:
    No just use some paper. Any good printer paper, or even better paper from a drawing pad is as good as a mouse mat. I have a good mouse mat at work (cushioned and everything) but every so often the mouse goes mental on the screen. I celotape the paper to a board but it's just as good, I've never had crazy mouse using the paper and it's virtually the same mouse at home and at work.
    I use a controller for NFS and a few other games that are not on that list.
    I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for most. I also have a wired keyboard and mouse with extra long wires.
    This is another great thing about PCs, you don't have to choose one input device or another. You can plug a wireless keyboard/mouse and a wired keyboard/mouse, a steering wheel and a joypad plugged in at the same time and use any of them when you want. I used to use the xbox controller for driving in GTA then switch to keyboard mouse when on foot. Best of all possible worlds.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I used to use the xbox controller for driving in GTA then switch to keyboard mouse when on foot. Best of all possible worlds.

Now why did I never think of that??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No mouse/keyboard/mousemat/headset/monitor/Windows etc, i think a lot of people forget these "small" things which usually cost quite a bit in the end... 100+ for a decent monitor(A good 150-250 for a good one), 50+ for a mouse/keyboard/mat, maybe 30+ on a headset, nearly 100 for the OS.

Not to mention a desk/chair etc if your completely new to PC. Adds up and thats before you buy any :D
    Well it's also assuming things like they cant recycle anything they have had before. There's no real way to know what people have, cant really factor in a desk/chair etc to a build :p I wouldnt need a new case for a decade etc...have loads of hard drives, have 4 keyboards with the most expensive one being 5 euro... If people are on a budget you can get accessories really cheap/free a lot of the time. My massive desk and office chair cost 40e.
    Also students can get windows for cheap, I always got it for free. It costs 50 these days on the site I was using there to price those parts I think. They might need a nice monitor, you can get a 1080p one for 100e. There is indeed more to it than the tower, my pc and monitor etc cost 1000e. That's with the specs above, a 3D HD 120 hz monitor, and that was a year ago.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I haven't had a mouse mat for years. Any bit of paper will do the same thing.
    It will get you buy, it won't do the same thing, particularly if you are in any way competitive gaming wise. Also for somebody that uses low sensitivity like myself I need a giant mousemat with good properties. You don't just need a good mousemat, you need a good mouse to get the full benefit of uniform, non-accelerated, non-jumping movement. If you recorded mouse movement with software available it shows big differences in surfaces and types of mice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement