Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers for next winter and spring seasons?

Options
  • 04-07-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any plants that we can plant in Ireland that flower in winter or at least give some interesting colourful foliage that I could be planting now or planning to plant?

I missed out this summer and planted a lot of stuff too late (moved into the new house just before Christmas and there was chaos here for a few months before the garden got looked at :( )
    I'm hoping to try and get a head start and plan for the winter now.

The back garden faces south west and the surrounding houses are all bungalows so we get a fair bit of sun even in winter there. The front is north east and fairly long but only the top few meters gets sun during the day even so at that time of year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So there are no flowering plants in winter in Ireland?
    Challenge accepted!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sow some winter pansies now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

witch hazel is a favorite of mine usually the first to flower in feb or therabouts, very delicate yellow flower but the scent is devine, can get red flowers too. hamamelis x intermedia being a good hardy one for here.

And you cant go wrong with drifts of daffodils, planting different varities can give you interest from feb to may followed by tulips.

Evergreen interest you cant beat yews, ordinary, fastigate or prostrate. Lots of different hollies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Winter Heather?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

cyclamen

• Advertisement

So far I've got

Viola wittrockiana "Forerunner F2 Mixed"
    Mahonia x media 'Charity'
    Daphne odora
    Viola wittrockiana "Forerunner F2 Mahogany Gold"
    Helleborus x hybridus "Helen Ballards Strain"
    Helleborus argutifolius "Corsican Hellebore"
    Helleborus sternii 'Blackthorn Strain'
    Helleborus niger
    Helleborus x hybridus "Black Beauty"

Would like to get :-

Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill'
    Lonicera x purpusii
    Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' (found on dyg.ie but they are out of stock with no eta currently)

Having problems tracking down the last three "would like to get" ones in Dublin.
    If anyone has any suggestions where to try I'd love to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

You can force Tulips, Daffodils and Crocuses to come out in autumn and winter instead of spring, that's quite common.
    You could also put in a few bulbs in the autumn for them to grow unaided in spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Supercell wrote: »
    So far I've got

Viola wittrockiana "Forerunner F2 Mixed"
    Mahonia x media 'Charity'
    Daphne odora
    Viola wittrockiana "Forerunner F2 Mahogany Gold"
    Helleborus x hybridus "Helen Ballards Strain"
    Helleborus argutifolius "Corsican Hellebore"
    Helleborus sternii 'Blackthorn Strain'
    Helleborus niger
    Helleborus x hybridus "Black Beauty"

Would like to get :-

Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill'
    Lonicera x purpusii
    Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' (found on dyg.ie but they are out of stock with no eta currently)

Having problems tracking down the last three "would like to get" ones in Dublin.
    If anyone has any suggestions where to try I'd love to hear

This Daphne is hard to get imo, you'd be nearly be better to try get a cutting and root it. I know johnstown garden center (the one beside you not the one in Kildare) were looking to get some but I don't know if they succeeded. You could actually check there for the other two as well, I've not been there in a while so don't know what they have at the moment.

Some Sarcococca would be nice as well or Chaenomeles. As Already mention Witch hazel is really beautiful I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I have a Viburnum Dawn i picked up a couple of weeks ago that i'm not using, your welcome to it OP but i am in Galway city if you know anyone here.

These is also Viburnum Charles Lemont which has more white to the flower than Dawn.

padi89 wrote: »
    I have a Viburnum Dawn i picked up a couple of weeks ago that i'm not using, your welcome to it OP but i am in Galway city if you know anyone here.

These is also Viburnum Charles Lemont which has more white to the flower than Dawn.
    Thanks Padi, wish I was in Galway, thats a kind offer, I appreciate it, good karma headed your way :)

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    This Daphne is hard to get imo, you'd be nearly be better to try get a cutting and root it. I know johnstown garden center (the one beside you not the one in Kildare) were looking to get some but I don't know if they succeeded. You could actually check there for the other two as well, I've not been there in a while so don't know what they have at the moment.

Some Sarcococca would be nice as well or Chaenomeles. As Already mention Witch hazel is really beautiful I think.

Thanks very much I'll look into Sarcococca and Chaenomeles. Regarding Johnstown Garden centre near me, do you mean the very excellent Windy Ridge ?(my favourite Garden Centre by a long mile currently!!). The tiny little entrance leads out into the fabulous nurseries, its really down the rabbit hole!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Thanks very much I'll look into Sarcococca and Chaenomeles. Regarding Johnstown Garden centre near me, do you mean the very excellent Windy Ridge ?(my favourite Garden Centre by a long mile currently!!). The tiny little entrance leads out into the fabulous nurseries, its really down the rabbit hole!

No I do mean Johnstown GC, it's on the Johnstown road of the N11, it wouldn't be as big as windy ridge but I always liked their stock so I think could be worth a try.

Just on a side note, you could also plant for winter bark interest, Like dogwoods, Corylus contorta, etc, can just give another aspect maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Thanks Padi, wish I was in Galway, thats a kind offer, I appreciate it, good karma headed your way :)

No worries, Woodies had them the last time i was in a couple of weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Have a look in the "Dealz" shops and also the "Eurogiant" shops.

These shops sell packets of bulbs and seeds for under 2 euro and they are good seeds and bulbs too.

Also,dont forget to look in Lidl and Aldi too,as they are now starting to sell stuff for /autum/winter sewing.

Gardening doesnt have to be expensive.;)

Advertisement