Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom should boost max upload speeds on adsl / adsl2+ connections

Options
  • 04-07-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I as an Eircom customer would like Eircom to boost the max upload speeds on adsl / adsl2+ connections in Ireland.

The current max of 512kb and 768kb is highly restrictive in todays world when people are trying to send data. Only recently I was sending large pictures to snapfish for printing, and it literally took 3 hours for the batch I was sending. Even sending one or two high megapixel photos via email is a slow process on Eircom broadband. Services like dropbox and skydrive (or many other cloud servivces) are incredibly slow.

I realise that with dsl connections upload speeds are limited. But on Eircom's business broadband page, there is an 18 m/bit down and 2 m/bit up connection. So it is possible. http://business.eircom.net/broadband/products/bb/9/

I'm sure Eircom are using adsl2+ annex m which according to Wikipedia has a max upload rate of 3.3 m/bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M

I think an increase to the max upload speeds our lines can reliably handle is in order

Should Eircom increase our upload speeds. 77 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    94% 73 votes
    I like polls
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

Praetorian wrote: »
    I as an Eircom customer would like Eircom to boost the max upload speeds on adsl / adsl2+ connections in Ireland.

The current max of 512kb and 768kb is highly restrictive in todays world when people are trying to send data. Only recently I was sending large pictures to snapfish for printing, and it literally took 3 hours for the batch I was sending. Even sending one or two high megapixel photos via email is a slow process on Eircom broadband. Services like dropbox and skydrive (or many other cloud servivces) are incredibly slow.

I realise that with dsl connections upload speeds are limited. But on Eircom's business broadband page, there is an 18 m/bit down and 2 m/bit up connection. So it is possible. http://business.eircom.net/broadband/products/bb/9/

I'm sure Eircom are using adsl2+ annex m which according to Wikipedia has a max upload rate of 3.3 m/bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M

I think an increase to the max upload speeds our lines can reliably handle is in order

a lot of eircom DSL connections are GDMT , they have set the profile for NGB packages as 512k upload up to the 8mb speed.

it would be handy , if they increased their upload speed, they just need to have a bigger range of sync profiles.

depends on modem sync speeds, but at least 1mb upload is doable...

tell you how frustrating i find eircom, they tell me they have some customers using DSL bonding to get higher upload / download speeds,
    but they cannot tell me how its done. how clueless is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

a lot of eircom DSL connections are GDMT , they have set the profile for NGB packages as 512k upload up to the 8mb speed.

it would be handy , if they increased their upload speed, they just need to have a bigger range of sync profiles.

depends on modem sync speeds, but at least 1mb upload is doable...

tell you how frustrating i find eircom, they tell me they have some customers using DSL bonding to get higher upload / download speeds,
    but they cannot tell me how its done. how clueless is that?

You are correct, a lot of the connections are GDMT, but an upto 1m/bit upload would still be possible for Eircom. On adsl upto 3.3 m/bit would be possible. Any increase would be a welcome one.

Eircom can we get an official response?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I find it hard to imagine why prior to NGB users have 768k upload speeds but upon migration to NGB get reduced to 512k....next generation?? :confused:

bkehoe wrote: »
    I find it hard to imagine why prior to NGB users have 768k upload speeds but upon migration to NGB get reduced to 512k....next generation?? :confused:

It seems like an odd decision alright.

But Eircom can now make their customers happier by increasing the speeds on the uploads going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Eircom will continue to lose customers so long as they offer the lowest speeds for the high charges and continue to have problems with line stability.

WARNING to potential Eircom Customers --- NGB (Not Good Broadband) is a load of crap - eircom's crappy ancient infrastructure cannot and does not fully support ADSL2+.

if your getting 7.6Mb/s on adsl1 (pre NGB) stick with it... cos you wont get any improvement with adsl2+ (NGB) anything over 8Mb/s if you live 1km or more away from the exchange will be unstable.

All you get is line faults, and poor speeds with it.

my bill averages €85 a month... i get a very unstable 10Mb/s dl - 640kb/s ul dsl line with phone bundled in.

ive been dealing with eircom's tech support 7 months now and it's still not fixed... i have yet another techie calling over this afternoon to run more tests.

UPC's 120Mb/s dl - 15Mb/s ul for €57 a month is a much better deal

UPC have said they will be connecting my side of the street in the next few months though.. can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

NGB is NOT necessarily ADSL2.

NGB only upgraded the backhaul to exchanges and puts users on an up to 8MBit/512k profile if they were on 3/384 or 7/768 before. Only the packages that are above 8MBit are ADSL2 and most existed before NGB came to an exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I have 7 meg package but my line now only gives me 5meg were before it gave me 6 before. Speeds constantly have dropped since Jan. Its insulting Eircom allow this to happen considering how much they charge for their service. Also my upload is only 320kb useless in this day an age of online gaming and sending files.

I have 7 meg package but my line now only gives me 5meg were before it gave me 6 before. Speeds constantly have dropped since Jan. Its insulting Eircom allow this to happen considering how much they charge for their service. Also my upload is only 320kb useless in this day an age of online gaming and sending files.

I experienced a speed deteriation a while back and Eircom sent out an engineer, and the engineer said the ends of my line had corroded a little bit and this was causing my speed drop / disconnections. After he cut off the corroded bit the line was as good as it ever was syncing at 15m/bit +. Perhaps it's possible this is an issue for you (ie dampness)? I live by the sea and the engineer said the lines by the sea are more prone to these problems.

Anyway, thanks for voting :)

I experienced a speed deteriation a while back and Eircom sent out an engineer, and the engineer said the ends of my line had corroded a little bit and this was causing my speed drop / disconnections. After he cut off the corroded bit the line was as good as it ever was syncing at 15m/bit +. Perhaps it's possible this is an issue for you (ie dampness)? I live by the sea and the engineer said the lines by the sea are more prone to these problems.

Anyway, thanks for voting :)

I am able to get 6MB using the modem they supplied me just checked that today. But when i use the modem i am using currently, i only get 5mb speed. Its not a fault i am using a different modem/using a billion 7800n one of the most expensive ASDL modems there is, and i have used a netgear one the same results i get from both. Eircom, from this it seems is restricting speeds to different modems not given by them.

I am able to get 6MB using the modem they supplied me just checked that today. But when i use the modem i am using currently, i only get 5mb speed. Its not a fault i am using a different modem/using a billion 7800n one of the most expensive ASDL modems there is, and i have used a netgear one the same results i get from both. Eircom, from this it seems is restricting speeds to different modems not given by them.

I use the 7800n from Billion myself, and it sync's at the same speed as the silver netopia from eircom. However you can tweak the billion 7800n using the snr tweak to gain a higher sync rate, for a while I synced at 17.5 m/bit instead of 15m/bit but after a few months it became a little unreliable.

Regarding my original post, hopefully Eircom will respond! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bruffkid

Hi All i have the up to 8Mbs package so i did a test on my Line and all i got was 0.884 Mb's Download & 0.102 Mb's Upload when i rang eircom the support guy told me that all i ever get as i am 5k away from the exchange yet i was being charged for the up to 8mbs i live in the country so other than eircom their is the sat broadband. The technology is out their re Fiber Cable all the have to do to compete and keep customers is install the Fiber cable so we all can be happy.

I use the 7800n from Billion myself, and it sync's at the same speed as the silver netopia from eircom. However you can tweak the billion 7800n using the snr tweak to gain a higher sync rate, for a while I synced at 17.5 m/bit instead of 15m/bit but after a few months it became a little unreliable.

Regarding my original post, hopefully Eircom will respond! :)

I have the Zyxel black one, and yes the old Netopia, was a really good reliable modem. Why they did not not just upgrade this model and hand it out, i'll never know. I have my doubts Eircom will answer you mate. Eircom, have no competitors or competition much in rural areas of Ireland, to steal their business away from them and, because of this chances are changes will not likely be made to their future plans.

Eircom, ran up debts in the billions how that was even possible, is still a mystery to me. Eircom, only invest in places were they know they will maximise their profits now. Was it any different in years past probably not?

I bet in a few years there will be similar threads to this posted by other folks, mate. If something substantial is to happen, the current Irish government and other broadband providers (not currently here) will have to invest in their own internet infrastructure, completely devoid of Eircom influence.

Comreg, have been in bed with Eircom for years, and a have a nice cosy relationship with them behind the scenes. That cosy relationship has hindered internet progress in Ireland. And history clearly shows successive Irish governments, have been reactionary rather than visionary, so to think this current government will be any different to what has came before, be nice to think it will happen, but again the chances of it are slim.

My internet is 32 a month plus tax and phone and line rental bill is well over 140 every two months.

UPC 100 MB 9MB upload broadband for two months would cost me 90 for two months,

90 for 100 meg two months
    72 for 5 meg for two months

Anyway, i think we are all just wasting our time dealing with Eircom and hoping they will wake up and reallise their faults. Just move to the city if you want better broadband that's just the reality of it unfortunately.

I have the Zyxel black one, and yes the old Netopia, was a really good reliable modem. Why they did not not just upgrade this model and hand it out, i'll never know. I have my doubts Eircom will answer you mate. Eircom, have no competitors or competition much in rural areas of Ireland, to steal their business away from them and, because of this chances are changes will not likely be made to their future plans.

Eircom, ran up debts in the billions how that was even possible, is still a mystery to me. Eircom, only invest in places were they know they will maximise their profits now. Was it any different in years past probably not?

I bet in a few years there will be similar threads to this posted by other folks, mate. If something substantial is to happen, the current Irish government and other broadband providers (not currently here) will have to invest in their own internet infrastructure, completely devoid of Eircom influence.

Comreg, have been in bed with Eircom for years, and a have a nice cosy relationship with them behind the scenes. That cosy relationship has hindered internet progress in Ireland. And history clearly shows successive Irish governments, have been reactionary rather than visionary, so to think this current government will be any different to what has came before, be nice to think it will happen, but again the chances of it are slim.

My internet is 32 a month plus tax and phone and line rental bill is well over 140 every two months.

UPC 100 MB 9MB upload broadband for two months would cost me 90 for two months,

90 for 100 meg two months
    72 for 5 meg for two months

Anyway, i think we are all just wasting our time dealing with Eircom and hoping they will wake up and reallise their faults. Just move to the city if you want better broadband that's just the reality of it unfortunately.

The silver netopia was a fantastic modem. It was a very odd decision to go to the black zyxels which do seem to be pants. Even Eircom's engineers say they are pants.

The thing is we're not asking for something substantial in this thread. We're just asking for what's already there to be turned upto the max our lines can handle. It's a fairly routine thing for a dsl provider to change.

Obviously we would love to see Eircom rollout FTTH to the whole country. They probably could have partly funded it by selling lots of their exchanges, and they would have had less costs in the future because they would need less staff. But that's a dream, and it's not going to happen.

FTTC will happen eventually for the vast majority of the population, but I wouldn't be that surprised if it takes Eircom a good 5 years more to be able roll it out to the majority. (Going on current rollout speeds).

I sincerely hope you are wrong about me wasting my time. I hope Eircom will grant our wish on this request.

The silver netopia was a fantastic modem. It was a very odd decision to go to the black zyxels which do seem to be pants. Even Eircom's engineers say they are pants.

The thing is we're not asking for something substantial in this thread. We're just asking for what's already there to be turned upto the max our lines can handle. It's a fairly routine thing for a dsl provider to change.

Obviously we would love to see Eircom rollout FTTH to the whole country. They probably could have partly funded it by selling lots of their exchanges, and they would have had less costs in the future because they would need less staff. But that's a dream, and it's not going to happen.

FTTC will happen eventually for the vast majority of the population, but I wouldn't be that surprised if it takes Eircom a good 5 years more to be able roll it out to the majority. (Going on current rollout speeds).

I sincerely hope you are wrong about me wasting my time. I hope Eircom will grant our wish on this request.

If its routine thing not been smart mate just pointing out the obvious. Eircom, would likely have done what your asking already. Its hard to imagine this question has not been asked? To be honest if its easy as your saying, than their is no excuse for the low uploads speeds their offering currently. Up them. But we are conservative country and businesses like Eircom in the main are controlled and managed by conservative people, so do not expect anything radical to happen anytime soon or in the nearer future. The best to hope for is this poll and the information you provided is passed on to someone in Eircom management, reviewed, and considered ok to be done.

Due to Eircom not having the decency to reply to this thread, I’d just like to say that this morning I have put plans in place to take 2 Eircom broadband accounts with line rental & phone calls away from Eircom. With a further 2 accounts to be moved next week when I have the time to move them.

So that’s the loss of a loyal Eircom customer and an average of €400 per month worth of business.

Ciao,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Due to Eircom not having the decency to reply to this thread, I’d just like to say that this morning I have put plans in place to take 2 Eircom broadband accounts with line rental & phone calls away from Eircom. With a further 2 accounts to be moved next week when I have the time to move them.

So that’s the loss of a loyal Eircom customer and an average of €400 per month worth of business.

Ciao,

.... and if the vast majority of Eircom customers had the option to do the same we would all move .... unfortunately that is not the case :(

If my line is capable of 6Mb/s, then I would like the option to split that to suit my use ...... 4 down, 2 up; 3 down, 3 up ..... whatever.

If our government had any understanding at all they would have a national fibre network which could be routed for the most part along the electricity poles and thus be capable of reaching 99% of the population; it would then be a national asset and could be leased to ISPs.
    But it seems not only do they not want any new national assets but they intend to sell off those we have.

It has been interesting lately to see what has happened in Aus when their gov decided on a national fibre roll out .... prices from existing ISPs (cable & fibre) have fallen, and speeds have increased dramatically. The incumbents seem to be falling over themselves to retain customers.

eircom still appear to be operating like they did 20 years ago.

very very very slow to respond to the availabilities of new technology,

I rang a local eircom engineer to ask about upgrades on the network, and the response was " what are you ringing me for, " " where did you get my number"....

that sort of attitude is unacceptable.

i control a number of eircom lines, and they are going bye bye very soon,
    eircom are a total disaster.

Ciao,

yes but if you move them to a reseller ( vodafone / etc ), then eircom still get some cash, better going to digiweb FWA or UPC, to avoid eircom getting any of your cash indirectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PlumpPumper

As a technician working for Bell in Canada (emigrated back in '09) I'm going to work on the assumption that the technology is the same for Eircom, as far as line attainables go at least. Line attainable is what the max speeds are that your line can handle.
    You said your line can handle 6Mbps, that is typically the max download speed, uploads work on a different frequency and so have their own max attainables, so you can't compare like for like. Basically what that means is that you can't spread your attainable rates across your upload/download speeds.
    Also (at least here in Canada) ADSL/ADSL2+ profiles only go up to 1Mbps upload speeds, anything over 1Mbps is in the VDSL catagory and DSLAM/RSLAM/ZSLAM high speed ports do not support the high upload speeds. (My guess is that Eircom still pretty much just uses DSLAM ports which are located in the Central Office.
    Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong?
    If at all possible, get off the copper network and get on the fibre, it's like night and day.

As a technician working for Bell in Canada (emigrated back in '09) I'm going to work on the assumption that the technology is the same for Eircom, as far as line attainables go at least. Line attainable is what the max speeds are that your line can handle.
    You said your line can handle 6Mbps, that is typically the max download speed, uploads work on a different frequency and so have their own max attainables, so you can't compare like for like. Basically what that means is that you can't spread your attainable rates across your upload/download speeds.
    Also (at least here in Canada) ADSL/ADSL2+ profiles only go up to 1Mbps upload speeds, anything over 1Mbps is in the VDSL catagory and DSLAM/RSLAM/ZSLAM high speed ports do not support the high upload speeds. (My guess is that Eircom still pretty much just uses DSLAM ports which are located in the Central Office.
    Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong?
    If at all possible, get off the copper network and get on the fibre, it's like night and day.

Standard adsl2+ has a max speed of 24 m/bit down and 1.4 m/bit up. Eircom are using annex m which can have a max upload speed of 3.3 m/bit according to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M

On one of our eircom lines we have 18 m/bit down and 2m/bit up. So by and large Eircom are very conservative on their upload speeds. They could easily boost them, especially on stronger shorter lines. Even this 2m/bit upload speed makes a massive difference over a 512 k or 768 k upload rate.

They allow the max reliable sync speeds on certain products for downstream sync speeds. So why not on uploads.

Instead as was pointed out earlier in the thread, when some customers were upgraded to NGB (next generation broadband) (lol) their upload speeds were actually reduced. :eek:

But as I already mentioned in an earlier post, Eircom are happy to ignore the thread, on their "talk to" forum. So as a thank you, I'm taking as much business as I can away from them. Two lines last week, and two this week, when I get the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Anonymous_1337

Eircom should definitely increase the upload speeds. I canonly upload at 50 kilobytes per second. My line is a good one. Im sure it cando 100 kilobytes per second at least. Why are eircom not responding?

I notice there are presently 4 votes in the poll for Eircom to NOT increase the upload rates.

Would anyone who has or would vote this way post to let us know the reasoning behind that opinion?

I really would like to hear if there is another side to this.

(:D maybe it is the Eircom reps voting :D)

I notice there are presently 4 votes in the poll for Eircom to NOT increase the upload rates.

Would anyone who has or would vote this way post to let us know the reasoning behind that opinion?

You could be right, maybe Eircom's reps all voted no.

So this is the bliss that is upc (even on wireless), and this is upc's lowest package which is faster than Eircom's fastest. (widely available product)

2076749195.png

So with Eircom's inability to talk to their customers on their "talk to" forum. I'd just like to post a quick update. I've moved a 3rd line that I control away from Eircom, and an uncle of mine is in the process of switching from Eircom to UPC after I went through the benefits and cost savings of switching with him.

So with Eircom's inability to talk to their customers on their "talk to" forum. I'd just like to post a quick update. I've moved a 3rd line that I control away from Eircom, and an uncle of mine is in the process of switching from Eircom to UPC after I went through the benefits and cost savings of switching with him.

just out of interest, what operator did you move them to?

Various, one fixed wireless, and upc where available.

None of the four 'No' voters have come out of the closet yet ..... would make one wonder why :D ..... well not really I suppose

None of the four 'No' voters have come out of the closet yet ..... would make one wonder why :D ..... well not really I suppose

Not every Eircom customer cares about better upload speeds. Eircom, should just offer this option to people who want and ask them for it.

Eircom though, has a bad public image. They really should be trying their best to improve it. People in rural Ireland do left feel let down by Eircom. If Sky broadband does come to Ireland/ Eircoms customers might switch how many don't know ( but more likely to happen if speeds are better with Sky?)

Eircom is also very expensive ( need a phone plus line rental to get broadband fixed with them) For me i don't mind the expensive of broadband as long as i have speed for the buck. A speed of 5 down and 312kb upload is just so slow for doing stuff on the web other than just browsing pages.

Eircom Exchanges are also too far from rural customers nowadays. Eircom should really think about setting up new exchanges outside of cities to improve DSL pings and latency for their rural customers.

Overall Eircom service is ok the speed they offer me currently rarely goes down really. But its 2012 like i said the speed i am on currently is just horrible and does my head in especially when i play online gaming with friends and against other people from other parts of Europe. I Feel just slower to everyone else when i am gaming.

Online shooters, sports games slower speeds are a big no no. You can play but you lose more than you win.

Eircoms customers might switch how many don't know ( but more likely to happen if speeds are better with Sky?)

Unlikely if Sky will be using the same copper wires ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Not with eircom anymore but was in my last place, they increased the speed on my line twice to a speed that was just causing errors. The line was unusable at times.
    I had to ring them to get them to reduce the speed twice.

For upload though, I assume it wouldn't cause the same problems?

Advertisement