Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can not Get a GigaBit Connection

Options
  • 04-07-2012 6:16pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have put a GigaBit Network Card into my PC HP Pavilion but I can not get it to show anything but 100mbps in status.
    My router is the UPC Thomson TWG870
    I have tried a direct connection with Cat6 cable .
    I have tried with nothing else connected to the network and I have tried to manually switch speed/duplex to 1gb .
    Any ideas appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I'm not familiar with the Thomson but sometimes both ends need to be forced to 1G instead of auto. Whats your OS? Your cable is defo cat 6?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for your reply.
    OS is Windows 7 & Windows 8 preview.
    How would I force the connection on the router? Its a Cable Modem?
    Can't see anything obvious in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

on win 7

go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections (you can copy and paste) right click on the card you put in and click properties, click configure, then the advanced tap. You should have a little menu scroll to "speed & duplex" set to 1000mb full duplex. That will force the card to do giga connection

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks doylers, I have tried that . The connection restarts & when I goto status it still shows 100mbps
    Also just to mention , I tried it today with 500mbps Network Adapters & the connection showed 1gbps, however the speed maxed out at around 50 meg.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

KoolKid wrote: »
    I tried it today with 500mbps Network Adapters & the connection showed 1gbps, however the speed maxed out at around 50 meg.:(

what were you expecting?

• Advertisement

I wasn't expecting anything, I was simply trying to rule out a hardware issue whereby the card would never switch to 1gbps.

Well....could be something as simple as a compatibility issue between the 1G card and the router, drivers, potentially cable (although I'm guessing you'd have used the same cable for both).

The manual for the router doesn't mention anything with regards forcing speed /duplex on the lan ports (which wouldnt be too unusual for consumer units)

(and the reason I was asking what you were expecting is that 50MB sounds about right for a 500mbps link in response to you comment : however the speed maxed out at around 50 meg.)

So do you think, for the sake of a few euro, it would be worth trying a newer network card?

ehm.....possibly, ideally if you have the option I'd try the card with a different router or switch before you go out and spend any money. Even a different network card, just to prove that it works.

I'm getting the impression from a bit of googling that there might well be compatibility problems with this router (or the firmware versions(s)) of this router.

Hard to say though as most of the articles are in foreign :eek:

As its a UPC router its not that easy . Might connect up a network switch to the modem & try it that way.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    ehm.....possibly, ideally if you have the option I'd try the card with a different router or switch before you go out and spend any money. Even a different network card, just to prove that it works.

I'm getting the impression from a bit of googling that there might well be compatibility problems with this router (or the firmware versions(s)) of this router.

Hard to say though as most of the articles are in foreign :eek:

although I guess even if you prove that the problem is at the router end you might still end up needing to get a different card :(

wexie wrote: »
    although I guess even if you prove that the problem is at the router end you might still end up needing to get a different card :(

Exactly, worth a shot for a few euro I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

U sure the UPC Thompson is a gig router??

What u need a gig for anyway?

U sure the UPC Thompson is a gig router??
    It is according to the specs.
    What u need a gig for anyway?
    Just want to get my extra speed UPC are giving me.

At max UPC will be a bottleneck of 100Mbps broadband so you've no requirement for a a 1000Mbps LAN connection?

You could try setting the adapter hardware settings to 1Gbps in windows and see if the router picks it up

If the router doesn't like it though u may get a lot of dropped packets and collisions which could slower your performance.

At max UPC will be a bottleneck of 100Mbps broadband so you've no requirement for a a 1000Mbps LAN connection?

Speed has increased to 120 meg. I have seen people getting 125 .

You could try setting the adapter hardware settings to 1Gbps in windows and see if the router picks it up

If the router doesn't like it though u may get a lot of dropped packets and collisions which could slower your performance.

Do you mean setting the speed & duplex to 1gig?

Yeah but if your router and or card don't take too well you'll get collisions and packet loss everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

KoolKid wrote: »
    How would I force the connection on the router? Its a Cable Modem?
    Can't see anything obvious in the menu.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be via the interface. I thought there might be a command line interface but google doesn't help me. Sorry :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement