Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering from Shingles while trying to play GAA

Options
  • 04-07-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I came down with shingles about a month ago and noticed the rash the day of a big championship match. I took the next week off and started back training and playing matches. But my fitness has taken a big hit! I would of been considered v.fit before this but I had what could be considered a panic attack while training 2 weeks ago and at match last Sunday i was taken off after 20 minutes because I just couldnt keep up with the pace of the match! My head was pounding, struggling to breath and maybe the strangest symptom was feeling the urge to cry while im playing!

I dont know if I should be trying to get fit because I feel like my fitness is getting worse and that I probably havent really gotten rid of the virus!
    Or should I forget about the rest of the year and rest??

any ideas on therapys or any advice is really helpful thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,254 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When you're sick, and even when you are recovering after being sick, your immune system can be run down. And if it was say working harder to cope with this, you could be left with a lack of energy. This doesn't mean your fitness is gone, it just means you're run down. Take some time to rest and come back slow. A week off prob wasn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

I would recommend you take Mellor's advice and take a break.

I suffered a horrible case of the shingles right before I did the Leaving Cert. It's an attack on the immune system and is strongly linked with stress. So chilling out will help you recover and you'll soon be able to increase your fitness levels very soon.

Best of luck. Shingles is by far the worst thing I've ever had - horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

goofe wrote: »
    I came down with shingles about a month ago and noticed the rash the day of a big championship match. I took the next week off and started back training and playing matches. But my fitness has taken a big hit! I would of been considered v.fit before this but I had what could be considered a panic attack while training 2 weeks ago and at match last Sunday i was taken off after 20 minutes because I just couldnt keep up with the pace of the match! My head was pounding, struggling to breath and maybe the strangest symptom was feeling the urge to cry while im playing!

I dont know if I should be trying to get fit because I feel like my fitness is getting worse and that I probably havent really gotten rid of the virus!
    Or should I forget about the rest of the year and rest??

any ideas on therapys or any advice is really helpful thanks!!!!

What did your doctor say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Against the charter to advise you here - get advice from a medical professional.

Take it HANDY or you will land yourself worn out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement