Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra fermentables for Muntons IPA Kit

Options
  • 04-07-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My friends and I are starting this kit tonight. The box speaks of a 'Higher Ranks Reserve' version of the beer at around 6%, where you follow the instructions but add another 1kg of fermentable material to the malt.

We can use dextrose/glucose for this, correct?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You can. I think you'll get better results with spraymalt, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Thanks, we went with dextrose in the end, since this was our only window of opportunity to make the beer in the next couple of months.

How do you think the dextrose will affect the flavour in comparison to spray malt?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I went with dextrose, as it was what I had to hand. The beer ended up at 7.1% though. I only bottled it last week, so no idea of the impact of the taste, but the sample I had was really nice. I also dry-hopped with 50g Cascade hop pellets, for a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ravelleman wrote: »
    How do you think the dextrose will affect the flavour in comparison to spray malt?
    It makes for a thinner beer as sugar is more fermentable than spraymalt.

Advertisement