Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Limit abroad on] Bank of Ireland Visa Debit Card

Options
  • 04-07-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

When i was on holidays i was only able to withdraw a maximum of €100 from an atm per day, using my Laser card. Does anyone know if this amount has been increased with the new Visa Debit Card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Sorry about hijacking this thread but just didn't want to start a new one about the same topic. I got my BOI Visa Debit a few months after my mam's came for her. Her's has the Contactless payment symbol on it, but mine doesn't. Does that mean I can't make contactless payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Pretty Polly,
    When i was on holidays i was only able to withdraw a maximum of €100 from an atm per day, using my Laser card. Does anyone know if this amount has been increased with the new Visa Debit Card?

The daily withdrawal limits at ATMs abroad will remain the same for Visa Debit cards.

These limits are €500 at Chipped ATMs and €250 at Non-chipped ATMs. Certain countries with Non-chipped ATMs have a €100 limit. As Beer Baron pointed out, some foreign banks may have their own lower ATM withdrawal limits which will apply.

Wherever you see the Visa symbol displayed, you can also use your Visa Debit card abroad for Point of Sale transactions in shops, restaurants, hotels, etc.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

Hi Anita Blow,
    Anita Blow wrote: »
    Her's has the Contactless payment symbol on it, but mine doesn't. Does that mean I can't make contactless payments?

Only Visa Debit cards with the contactless symbol can make contactless payments. The card can still be used for Point of Sale transactions where you see the Visa symbol.

If you would like to discuss your Visa Debit card, you will need to contact your account holding branch. You can find contact details for your branch here.

Thanks for your post,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Any body having problems using the new card,in local shop tried to pay and get cash back but it was declined even though the funds were there and when i checked my balance the money had come out anyway.I rang the shop and they checked there system and my card was defo declined.This the second time it has happened.
    Also the Tesco site declined my card this morning,i have the funds and i can still withdraw from the ATM......

The girl i was speaking to in the shop said that it has happened on a good few of the newer cards,i rang 365 and they said my card and account looked OK but they will have to wait up to a week to refund my cash they took for the shopping even though the shop never got it.
    Never had any problems with laser hope its not a ongoing problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Hi Pretty Polly,

The daily withdrawal limits at ATMs abroad will remain the same for Visa Debit cards.

These limits are €500 at Chipped ATMs and €250 at Non-chipped ATMs. Certain countries with Non-chipped ATMs have a €100 limit. As Beer Baron pointed out, some foreign banks may have their own lower ATM withdrawal limits which will apply.

Wherever you see the Visa symbol displayed, you can also use your Visa Debit card abroad for Point of Sale transactions in shops, restaurants, hotels, etc.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

I've been having a similar issue, but I hadn't withdrawn any money on the day in question otherwise. The person I spoke to in branch (by phone) suggested maybe it could be because the day before I withdrew money and the transaction had yet to fully clear, so counted as a transaction on the current day (365online does indeed show the transaction with a "not year cleared"-type description)

Is there any truth to this? Seems like a huge design flaw, if there is...

She only suggested this as a guess, because looking at the account she couldn't think of any other reason for the transaction being declined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi who is this,

Just to clarify, is this in relation to the issue that Pretty Polly had with her card abroad?

Thanks
    Linda

Hi harr,

Our Visa Debit cards have the same cashback facility as Laser cards. We're not aware of any issues, however, we've passed your feedback on to our Visa Debit Programme Team.

Thanks for your post,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Sorry if this has been asked already
    I am waiting for the new card (wife got hers already from NIB)
    Can I use it to replace my Visa card for Ebay-Freeflow etc i.e do I just change my card details on these sites
    Many thanks
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Paul,

Yes you can use your Visa Debit card anywhere you see the Visa symbol. You will need to change the details with the companies.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Many thanks Linda
    All I need is the card now :O)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

is there something i need to do to get a card?

or just wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi refusetolose.

If this is your first time requesting a card, you will need to complete a card application form in your account holding branch. However, if you currently hold a Laser card, they are currently being replaced with Visa Debit cards on a phased basis.
    At the moment, Laser Cards that are reported lost or stolen are been replaced with Visa Debit Cards.
    There is a replacement fee of €5.90 for this.

All Laser Cards will be replaced with Visa Debit by the end of September.
    After this, we will be replacing standard ATM Cards with Visa Debit.

If you wish to upgrade your standard ATM Card to Visa Debit before the rollout, you can visit your branch and fill out an application form.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Hi refusetolose.

If this is your first time requesting a card, you will need to complete a card application form in your account holding branch. However, if you currently hold a Laser card, they are currently being replaced with Visa Debit cards on a phased basis.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

hi ,will this replace my normal atm card?

what info will i need to fill the form?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi refusetolose,

Your ATM card will be replaced by Visa Debit as part of the phased rollout so there would be no need to fill out a Visa Debit application form.

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement