Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMAC tramore unit

Options
  • 04-07-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi guys i was down in tramore today and seen the tramore unit ambulance responding to an emergancy call in apartments. I know the unit does have a CFR car but this was the ambulance. Does anybody know if the unit responds to emergancy calls ??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

car was probably off the road getting serviced etc

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

miju wrote: »
    car was probably off the road getting serviced etc
    I did think that but unlike the car the ambulance was crewed by two and they where in OMAC uniform. Not as if they where going about there daily business and got the call

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ambo112

OMAC in tramore cover all 999 emergency calls, closest NAS is in Waterford. Crewed by NAS Paramedics, all fun and games until something serious happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 xperi

my neighbour in his early 40s. had a cardiac arrest 2 years ago, tramore omac were there within 3 minutes they gave him 1 shock & got him back, the ambulance & the fast response car took 12 minutes , now that man can have "fun & games" with his children on tramore beach,

tramore omac dont cover "all" 999 calls in tramore, such a sweeping comment, i see plenty of WRHs ambos doing 999 calls in tramore, by the way im not a member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ambo112 wrote: »
    OMAC in tramore cover all 999 emergency calls, closest NAS is in Waterford. Crewed by NAS Paramedics, all fun and games until something serious happens.

How's it all fun and games until something serious happens? If there staffed by Paramedics as you say, well then they are satisfying all of PHECCs transfer requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I thought they only respond to cardiac arrests etc? Also what do you mean by "all fun and games"? It sounds like you're belittling them.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I thought they only respond to cardiac arrests etc? Also what do you mean by "all fun and games"? It sounds like you're belittling them.

Sorry, been busy last few days. I wasn't having a go about skill at all, I am sure they are more than capable, but capable does not equal appropriate.

I understand why they do it etc, but what happens if there is a vehicle collision, patient death, practitioner injured, false claim made by patient (no CCTV on vehicle) etc....

Dangerous practice IMO....

It is my understanding that they are requested for all 999 calls, but they do have a car for quick response to cardiac arrest.

I agree with the first responder scheme but transport is a different thing altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ambo112 wrote: »

I understand why they do it etc, but what happens if there is a vehicle collision, patient death, practitioner injured, false claim made by patient (no CCTV on vehicle) etc....

Vehilce Collision? As in what, your safer in a collision in a NAS ambulance rather then a OMAC one? They all have belts and all are insured as is required under law. That saying, no ambulance is a nice place in a crash.

Patient death? Presumably if the practitioner acted accordingly to thier CPG's well then there could be no case of negligence/malpractice. OMAC also have a soliciters firm that they can liase with to act for their members in the event of something like this ever happening. They have never been used though, and long may it stay that way.

Practitioner injured? Do you not think they have medical insurance for members? Of course they do, I know that for a fact. Again, are you more or less likely to become injured when working on a omac or a NAS ambulance?

False Claim? Our ambulance has CCTV on in the back of it and most of the newer ambulances in the fleet do. Your arguements are reaching a moot points rather quickly. HSE is at fault here, for not deploying enough resources to cover ground.

Fact of the matter is that the NAS are stretched too thin and auxillary bodies plug the leaks (Ireland is not alone in this, there are plenty of voluantry ambulance bodies as the sole responders in the US). As long as recruitments freezes are in place, it's going to stay that way.

[Quote=BX Fact of the matter is that the NAS are stretched too thin and auxillary bodies plug the leaks (Ireland is not alone in this, there are plenty of voluantry ambulance bodies as the sole responders in the US). As long as recruitments freezes are in place, it's going to stay that way.[/Quote]

This is my point overall, this should be used to highlight the need for a HSE vehicle. Recruitment into NAS is ongoing, if vols plug the gap then it will never be done, why would they pay if it is being done for free?

• Advertisement

saw the tramore ambulance going to a call in the golf club on saturday morning, closely followed by 1 from WRH about 5 minutes behind. if these lads can help someone before the WRH 1 gets there surely thats a good thing, about 20 minutes later i saw the WRH ambo going past on lights so they must have transported, surely inst this a example of both services working together. know all this cause i live on the road near the golf club.

xperi wrote: »
    saw the tramore ambulance going to a call in the golf club on saturday morning, closely followed by 1 from WRH about 5 minutes behind. if these lads can help someone before the WRH 1 gets there surely thats a good thing, about 20 minutes later i saw the WRH ambo going past on lights so they must have transported, surely inst this a example of both services working together. know all this cause i live on the road near the golf club.

If you view my other posts I strongly - STRONGLY agree that vols and first responders should be the first person anyone sees while they are waiting for NAS transport but they should wait for transport, that's all I am saying, areas like this should be used to show a need for an ambulance to be based there, but it is a lesson management won't learn if the vols transport also.

I didnt know the vols ever transported after responding to 999 calls (except at events and stuff). I thought the HSE always arrived aswell.

Im curious to know why the tramore unit respond to 999 calls. Is this a common practice around Ireland? Tramore isnt that far from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Anyone know if the unit gets paid for this? I'd say it's a certain amount per call, with no allowance for standby time. Would love to know how it compares to the cost of crewing a NAS vehicle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Richie15 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the unit gets paid for this?

I do know but stuff like that is against the charter and OMAC rules too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Eh, yeh... I knew that. That was a test, well done! :p

Might just have another read through the rulebook so... ;)

The unit can get payed, but not the members no?

they get nothing for doing this . tramore unit is funded entirely by local contributions , so put your rule book away.

they get nothing. only money they get is from the people from tramore. i contribute to them every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

To put it all in context the Tramore Order of Malta have attended these type of calls for over 50 years now. It all stems back to the time when it could have taken 30 mins for a HSE ambulance to get to Tramore. Many businesses and households called the Tramore unit on a specific number and the crew on call at that time responded and transported the patient if necessary and for years this service saved many lives. In recent years a CFR responder car and crew was introduced making it easier on the crews and quicker for the most serious cases. The CFR is dispatched by the HSE and the patient is handed over to the HSE crew for transport now i'm sure there are times where the businesses in Tramore still call the units number for help and in every case the crew inform ambulance control they are responding in the ambulance and provide care and wait for the HSE bus to respond. There has NEVER being a situation where the unit or and individual crew member has being paid for a call out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement