Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice Mechanic

Options
  • 04-07-2012 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi I am looking for a garage in Clonmel or the surrounding area that would take on an apprentice mechanic. I would be willing to travel a reasonable distance. Any ideas or advice welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

very hard to get at the minute im afraid, all id advise you do is call into every garage in the area not just main dealers, have a cv with you. I know where i work they have a stack of CV's worth dropping one in though, Kevin O Leary's im working in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Unlike Dave I'm not in the trade but can understand even looking in from the outside how difficult it would be to secure work in a garage at the moment. Out of interest who besides main dealers would be able to take on an apprentice. Also excuse my ignorance but is this the only way to qualify as a mechanic can it not be done through a college course.

No it has to be done through FAS they have to do 7 phases split between working in the garage and FAS training center (college), you can do an apprenticeship from an independant garage im not 100% sure what criteria the garage would have to meet but id say just a registered business and there was a qualified mechanic there to show an apprentice what to do, i know a good few lads doing them in small garages, alot would be the sons of mechanics. Its a trade thats changing alot before it was 100% mechanical now its getting more and more electricial and computer based there call technicians now not mechanics

There was a sort of way around FAS a few years ago the course i did it college Auto Mobile Technology would bring you too phase 4 standard and if you felt confident after that you could be put forward to sit the FAS exams but you still wouldnt be qualifed until you worked up your hours in a garage, but that loop hole as such is gone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Thanks for the information Dave very interesting wouldn't have realized any of that. Unfortunately none of this helps the OP sorry to him for hijacking his thread. Hope he finds a garage to do it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

Thanks for replying Dave it's actually my son who is seeking the apprenticeship. He has cv's in all the main garages including where you work. Is there anywhere he would get a list of the smaller places. Also he is willing to travel.

• Advertisement

I will send you on who i know in a pm there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

DaveJac wrote: »
    I will send you on who i know in a pm there

Thanks very much for taking the time to do that Dave, much appreciated.

Advertisement