Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos return

Options
  • 04-07-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Did you pay cash or use a card?

Is it Argos Branded?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Go back into them with it and they should refund it for you or at least replace it. After all it should still be covered under warranty and they are your first port of call when you have an issue which you have!

Recently returned a scales that wasn't working without the reciept but had my credit card reciept with the transaction. with the gift card they should be fine with that as they can find the transaction as with these offers if you return one item you need to return the free voucher so they need to be able match the card with transaction and vice versa!

They should be able to find you but given it was a freebie hand out they are under no obligation to. That said Argos usually have good service and decent in store POS systems - just a case of getting a good store manager / assistant.

If you paid by gift crad or credit card the statement is legally binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

A credit card statement would only show a transaction was made for a certain amount at a particular time, not what was actually purchased. It may well made it easier for Argos to pinpoint the actual transaction and reprint the reciept.

Can you link to the actual legislation which says a store has to accept a bank or credit card statement as proof of purchase?

OP, Argos seem to be decent enough with returns, what was the item?

I'm afraid I can't - I'm going on 15 years of retail experiance where every employer I've ever worked for has told me its legally binding. However as I've said myself unless you can link it it could be hoey.

Other proofs of purchase in Ireland can be;

The assistant remembering you
    The item being your own brand - As the onus would fall on you to keep records of sales and serial numbers - which isnt the case for retail sales generally.

I'd be willing to put a reasonable sum on this being accurate. But to be fair unverifed. Foggy Lad - any chance of you bailing me out again?

Bear in mind that not all laws are legislation though - it may be a common law rule from case law.

• Advertisement

Fast response there, I suppose from my experience (about the same time scale as yours) we've always needed receipts, in fairness I've nearly always sold technology goods which have a serial number that was needed.

Going back on topic, I'd say the OP will be fine the links if Argos will have all sales recorded on their POS system so should be able to find it easy enough.

Gillo wrote: »
    Fast response there, I suppose from my experience (about the same time scale as yours) we've always needed receipts, in fairness I've nearly always sold technology goods which have a serial number that was needed.

Going back on topic, I'd say the OP will be fine the links if Argos will have all sales recorded on their POS system so should be able to find it easy enough.

I won't say I'm 100% right as if it cant be linked... :) but I've worked for Mobile phone, PC and Games retailers and all of them have told me in training we're legally obliged to take statements. A quite well know games retailer (still in business) is where I got the strange ones from.

Thats not to say you didnt have to go into the system and reprint the reciept - that was more for interal purposes though. I also know that Apple used to do all sorts of things that were contray to the sale of goods act - that is an example of a retailer telling us to do stuff that we shouldn't have.

And yes - totally addicted to boards lol

It's something I'm not sure of either way.

You didn't by any chance do tech support too for a communication company? I've a feeling we actually worked together?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm afraid I can't - I'm going on 15 years of retail experiance where every employer I've ever worked for has told me its legally binding. However as I've said myself unless you can link it it could be hoey.

Other proofs of purchase in Ireland can be;

The assistant remembering you
    The item being your own brand - As the onus would fall on you to keep records of sales and serial numbers - which isnt the case for retail sales generally.
    I'm pretty sure that there is no legislation that provides that a credit card or debit card statement constitutes proof of purchase. They can be regarded as evidence of purchase, but whether the evidence might be accepted in a court depends on other factors.

Never worked in Tech support - in an offical capacity anyway. When I worked for Time Computers you kinda had too or the customer was going to kill you give the crap they sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

A credit card statement would only show a transaction was made for a certain amount at a particular time, not what was actually purchased. It may well made it easier for Argos to pinpoint the actual transaction and reprint the reciept.

Can you link to the actual legislation which says a store has to accept a bank or credit card statement as proof of purchase?

OP, Argos seem to be decent enough with returns, what was the item?

All stores will have a transaction either on file or "in the computer" if it's on file it can got as all card receipts are stored and will state the transaction with also the last four digits on the customers card

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A bank or credit card statement is sufficient to meet the "proof of purchase" criteria. It does not have to be an actual receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Advertisement