Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless
    Redzone is on sky as well(Red Button). The main benefit I can see is being able to watch any game, rather than what sky happen to be showing.

Also you can watch back games in full with ads removed or even "condensed" which compresses the whole thing into 30 mins, but still shows every play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Brian017

Redzone is also on Sky Sports Mix this season. I like being able to follow my team and having the ability to chose what other game I watch. But if you're generally happy with the Sky games I can see why it may not be worth it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Watching the compressed games the morning after is the best bit for me, can watch it before work avoiding the scores and not be extra-useless for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

Thanks, guys.

I have actually watched Redzone on Sky before so not sure why that slipped my mind.

I don't really have one particular team I follow, more a fan of the sport, so I may just stick with what I've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    hots wrote: »
    Watching the compressed games the morning after is the best bit for me, can watch it before work avoiding the scores and not be extra-useless for the day!

Definitely one of the best feature of Gamepass. Ideal for bus or train journeys of about 40 mins on Friday/Monday/Tuesday mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I wish the NFL online community would catch up with the other sporting communities, ala soccer and MMA, and start uploading stuff like the condensed version of the games for everyone to watch.

I suppose with GamePass not being really prevalent in the States, and the majority of the NLF audience coming from there, its going to hinder it. But still!

Fortunate enough this year that the Giants only have three games that are at unwatchable times, and one of them is a Monday night game, and another is a Thursday. Hoping I won't miss GamePass much as a result, but this will be my first year without it in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

If only they would allow android users to download games ....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

BKWDR wrote: »
    If only they would allow android users to download games ....

+1. It would be a big plus to be able to download games to watch on a bus/flight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I actually find it a bit of a struggle to watch games live on TV now simply because of how spoiled Gamepass has made me. I guess Sunday evening isn't too bad because of Redzone but the two hour replays sans adverts just flows so amazingly well. I'm pretty skint right now and am having to make some tough choices money-wise but Gamepass was going nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Brian017 wrote: »
    Redzone is also on Sky Sports Mix this season.

The channel Virgin are giving us?!

Super stuff, didn't know that :)

I despise them slightly less now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Brian017 wrote: »
    Redzone is also on Sky Sports Mix this season.
    Will this finally mean RedZone in HD on Sky?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I wouldn't be so sure it'll be there every week.. ssmix is a teaser so stuff will drop on and off

Was there an actual announcement made or anything? Anyone know when that channel is getting rolled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams
    Starts today I think. It's on the old Setanta 105 on Virgin. No sign of a HD version of 412 though. It's a teaser channel for SKy Sports, gey people used to watching live sport again!

Yeah that’s obviously what they are aiming for – probably due to the fact that
    1) Virgin need to make back more money in subscriptions due to losing the BT package and customers with it
    2) Sky obviously gave them some form of sweetheart deal in light of (1)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

I signed up to the free trail and tbh im in two minds to sign up for it or not....

Quality and everything is perfect - but the stopping for ads is actually headwrecking..... i cant imagine how frustrating it is if its a close game in the 4th quarter and timeout and then this nfl will return shortly and silence - god know that nfl has more ads on its website and if it played them it would be much better than absolutely nothing.... at all.... surely there is a better option that that blue screen....

Id rather ads than silence...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

I signed up to the free trail and tbh im in two minds to sign up for it or not....

Quality and everything is perfect - but the stopping for ads is actually headwrecking..... i cant imagine how frustrating it is if its a close game in the 4th quarter and timeout and then this nfl will return shortly and silence - god know that nfl has more ads on its website and if it played them it would be much better than absolutely nothing.... at all.... surely there is a better option that that blue screen....

Id rather ads than silence...

Just watch something else on another device during the ads. Check your fantasy team, twitter, talk to your neighbour. Not having the ads is one of the worst reasons I have ever heard for not getting gamepass :D

Edit - I do know exactly what you mean though! ha.

If you're not watching live then the ad breaks are clipped out completely anyway. It's the only way to watch NFL, IMO.

The beauty of it is, if it's just on Monday and Thursday night games
    On Sundays you can redzone or use a double or quad box to watch something else and flick between what you see.
    Or wait till the next morning and watch it ad free or condensed and ad free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

The beauty of it is, if it's just on Monday and Thursday night games
    On Sundays you can redzone or use a double or quad box to watch something else and flick between what you see.
    Or wait till the next morning and watch it ad free or condensed and ad free

Was double boxing with NFL Network the other night, beats the blue screen silence!

• Advertisement

Is the double box thing PC only? I've never worked it out but I've only used the various apps (PS4, iPad and Apple TV)

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Is the double box thing PC only? I've never worked it out but I've only used the various apps (PS4, iPad and Apple TV)

AFAIK yah it's the laptop I use for it and then via HDMI to tv

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

the double boxing doesnt work through chromecast?? that would be awesome

I know its a really silly excuse not to get it but i watch with my wife - who will fall asleep while watching NFL - silence hits.... then comes back on.... suddenly startled awake wife beside me.... these is my preseason - getting the reps done for the best options available to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Raoul wrote: »
    Just watch something else on another device during the ads. Check your fantasy team, twitter, talk to your neighbour. Not having the ads is one of the worst reasons I have ever heard for not getting gamepass :D

Edit - I do know exactly what you mean though! ha.

This is where I fail with Gamepass. I just don't have the willpower to sit in silence or get up and grab something during the breaks so I open a tab, go to check my fantasy team, and boom the NFL.com fantasy scoring is ahead of my game so I know how the drive finishes before I've even seen it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    This is where I fail with Gamepass. I just don't have the willpower to sit in silence or get up and grab something during the breaks so I open a tab, go to check my fantasy team, and boom the NFL.com fantasy scoring is ahead of my game so I know how the drive finishes before I've even seen it :(

Yeah that gets me too sometimes :mad:

If only you could chromecast the pop up player on your laptop
    Any work around?

Would you not just switch over to Redzone during the breaks?

The 1-2 minute lag is a pain, definitely.

Audio was about 1 full drive ahead of the action on the condensed game for the Redskins v Bucs. Hopefully a glitch we won't see in the regular season.

Audio was about 1 full drive ahead of the action on the condensed game for the Redskins v Bucs. Hopefully a glitch we won't see in the regular season.

So you were the 48th person who was watching that game...including the people in the stadium...

• Advertisement

So you were the 48th person who was watching that game...including the people in the stadium...

Nothing better than watching scrubs who won't be on the roster playing in the pissing rain at 6am on a Thursday morning.

Advertisement