Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved to UTV, Regretting it majorly

• 04-07-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi,

Well as the title states i moved to UTV about 3 weeks ago and have been having major issues with connection speeds. I signed up for the 24 mb package for 37.99 which seemed pretty good vs Eircoms 60 euro pack. When it changed over i did a speed check test and it was showing i was still only getting the 6.7mb that i used to receive with my 8mb pack with Eircom. So i contacted them twice about this and was assured that i would have it fixed within 24 hours. Below is two emails that i have sent them yesterday and today. My question is as i have only been with them for 3 weeks and they have not fixed or seemed to of even attempted to fix my issue. have i got grounds to leave with out any repercussions. Appreciate any help from someone who has been through this before as i am driven insane by this at the moment.

Thanks

Hi,

My name is Ciaran ......... and I live in ..........................
    I signed up for this service under the pretenses that I would receive up to 24 Mb broadband connection as my line can take 17mb i was expecting at least this. Currently it is showing up that i am receiving less that two mbs. Below is a screen shot of the connection speed for upload and download that I am currently receiving. I have spoken to customer care recently about this and was assured that on the 03/07/2012 at roughly 11 o clock that morning my service would be upgraded to the proper connection of 24 mb as I was still on the old 8mb connection ( this was 24 hours after I contacted Tech Support). It has now shown to be running at 1.79mb, which is breaking the service order I signed up for. If this is not fixed early on the 04/07/2012 i will be cancelling my service that evening and moving to another service. I would appreciate a phone call from the Tech Team when this issue is resolved.

Regards,

Ciaran

to admin
    Hi,

Below is a speed test that i ran tonight the 04/07/2012. This is extremely disgraceful offering me a service with 24 Mbs and i am receiving 0.17mbps with a better upload speed.
    I will be contacting you myself tomorrow for any details i need to swap my service. as you have broken the contract i am not obliged to pay any disconnection charge or any service charges as i have not been receiving the service.
    I also did not receive a call to sort out my connection today after i sent the email on the 03/07/2012 which is extremely poor customer support.

Regards,

Ciaran

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Very few lines will actually yield the 24 - you want to be very close to an exchange for that.

What are your line stats? Did UTV check your line stats before you signed over to them?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

I'm only down the road from you Ciaran going by what you have as your location on here?

I'm with vodafone, (not sure what package) and I just ran a speed test, I got ping: 45ms, Download: 6.13Mbps and Upload: 0.43.

Are you sure the exchange has been upgraded? As far as I know/knew it was still 1980's copper wire cables?
    Although, I'm happy with the speed I have, no need at the moment for any faster!

nim

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ciaran219

Yeah I used to receive lik 6-7.6 with eircom till I swapped over, I know I can't get the 24 as my line maxs out at 17 MBs but when's it's dropped to 2 then well below two.. It's beyond a joke having them as a service provider..But I at least expect to hit my max or even 13-15 on a normal day. But I'm not getting anywhere close

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ciaran219

104 ping 8.36 mb and upload 0.41 that's what my test just gave me.. That's not bad but even still it is less that double of what my line an actually handle.. Surely I'm within my rights to cancel this??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You really need to get your line stats then you will know what your line is capable of.

Remember that isps sell their products as "up to" None of them guarantee speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Yes you need to get a technician to check the line. If you're right that it can synch at 17mbits then you might have a case depending on the contract. Eircom have minimum accepted levels for each package. I think your line needs to be capable of at least 10 or 11 mbits to be on the up to 24 package. But I think they may simply downgrade your package if that's the case, I'm not sure if you can cancel at that point. It may be similar with UTV I don't know. Check to see if they have a minimum acceptable limit for the package, and if you don't meet that you might possibly be able to cancel or at least change the package.

Advertisement