Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investigation - Advice

Options
  • 04-07-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello All.

I work in retail and over the last month there has been large discrepencies on tills, on one incident leading to someone being sacked who was there less than a year on a temp contract.

Procedures have since tightened up which is understandable so.
    A few weeks back I cashed up my till and found it was 30e short, after management verified this was the case.

There were at least 2 other senior management on it it too. In my 8 hour shift I was approx on the till for 2 hours as I was assigned to other different tasks.

On starting my shift I noticed my till had been used and float prior to this had been verified at the correct some. On returning to my till I noticed a bundle of notes in my till which i assumed that it balanced out that the float was again correct. As there was a vast queue and as management had been at my till for most of the day I served the long line.

As far as I am aware both managers were at there investigations already and awaiting what occurs next, my one is coming up shortly where I have a staff member to witness proceedings. I recently received my letter saying it is being investigated and that I am suspended from the handling of all cash activities pending the outcome.

In the last week I was twice almost send onto to cash duties by a duty manager that insisted it was ok, It was only I when I went to management and ask they said no, there is no way I am to handle tills. To me this is bad management as if I had of done what I was told I would have made the situation many times worse.

As I see it both managers since have been handling cash so to me they have been somewhat cleared, I am very very unhappy with this approach as after 5 years service nothing like this has ever occurred and I have a very good record in terms of cash (up to this) and as an employee.

If anything I did not follow 'new' procedures in cash up my till any time I am going to a new area, but my sole reason for not was that there was management assigned to my till point and due to lack of staff and a build up of queues, if it had have been an assistant on a cash point I certainly would have.

All opinions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

HamSambos wrote: »
    Hello All.

I work in retail and over the last month there has been large discrepencies on tills, on one incident leading to someone being sacked who was there less than a year on a temp contract.

Procedures have since tightened up which is understandable so.
    A few weeks back I cashed up my till and found it was 30e short, after management verified this was the case.

There were at least 2 other senior management on it it too. In my 8 hour shift I was approx on the till for 2 hours as I was assigned to other different tasks.

On starting my shift I noticed my till had been used and float prior to this had been verified at the correct some. On returning to my till I noticed a bundle of notes in my till which i assumed that it balanced out that the float was again correct. As there was a vast queue and as management had been at my till for most of the day I served the long line.

As far as I am aware both managers were at there investigations already and awaiting what occurs next, my one is coming up shortly where I have a staff member to witness proceedings. I recently received my letter saying it is being investigated and that I am suspended from the handling of all cash activities pending the outcome.

In the last week I was twice almost send onto to cash duties by a duty manager that insisted it was ok, It was only I when I went to management and ask they said no, there is no way I am to handle tills. To me this is bad management as if I had of done what I was told I would have made the situation many times worse.

As I see it both managers since have been handling cash so to me they have been somewhat cleared, I am very very unhappy with this approach as after 5 years service nothing like this has ever occurred and I have a very good record in terms of cash (up to this) and as an employee.

If anything I did not follow 'new' procedures in cash up my till any time I am going to a new area, but my sole reason for not was that there was management assigned to my till point and due to lack of staff and a build up of queues, if it had have been an assistant on a cash point I certainly would have.

All opinions are welcome.

I've worked in a situation like that once.

It's horrible, but you simply have to apply the cash-up-every-time rule, no matter who else was on the till, and no matter what the queues are.

I'd say the chances are that you've got a crooked duty manager around, since they're ignoring the "thou shalt not" rule you're under, and possibly wnat to pin the blame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, i thought the same, sloppy duty manager. Insist the till is cashed up before you touch it. There should be systimatic spot checks by non shof floor staff on the tills. It is odd the other 2 managers are not being given the same limitations as you, but this may benefit you if have to apeal your investigation. You could claim their mind was made up before the investigation.

Advertisement