Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning defective item

Options
  • 04-07-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭

Last week my sister bought a sewing box as a gift for my mother. The sewing box is defective. It doesn't open properly and there are a number of knobs missing off of it (my sister isn't very observant).

My sister had the receipt but when she tried to return it the shopkeeper told her that she wasn't entitled to a refund or a credit note because of the fact that the item was on sale.

I was under the impression that if something is defective then you're entitled to your money back? Is that the law or are they entitled to offer a credit note? Either way they were wrong to say what they said right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

You have the same rights shopping in the sales as you do at any other time of the year.

Items sold in a sale must be of merchantable quality, fit for their intended purpose and as described to you. If an item is faulty, your rights do not change just because it was on sale.

If an item you bought at full price is faulty, and is now on sale at a reduced price, you are entitled to a refund of the full price or a replacement of the same value, with proof of purchase.

If you buy goods at full price but change your mind about them, and they are now on sale at a lower price, you may only be entitled to the reduced amount if the shop is willing to offer a refund. Any offer of a refund in this situation is at the discretion of the retailer and is a gesture of goodwill.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/sales

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If the item is defective as you say then she is entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. The goods she bought must be of merchantable quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Unless it says on the reciept somewhere that the item was sold like that then the shop manager is having a laugh.

Even if it is on the reciept it would still have to be of merchantable quality.

Advertisement