Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two days in the Mountjoy. Will I enjoy the experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭eirekielthy

What ya do

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ballybabe

this conversion has made me laugh!!! like the rest said this country is a joke so by the time they fill ur paper work and give ya a tour to ur over crowded cell u'll be walked back out. imagine 1,000 is this country for real!

What ya do

he didn't pay 1,000 euro fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

TELL US WHAT YOU FCUKING DID ALREADY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I ended up in 'joy ... got let after a couple of hours .

Granted it was a school tour ..

why the fcuk it was chosen as a location is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I envisage a name change for the OP.

AndyTheBitch.

is he really going to prison???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

just don't go in tripping and you'll be ok. Or maybe the opposite is true :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha i just copped it. He is generating publicity of his my space page...

Jasus.... I thought jordan was bad.

People still use myspace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

What did you do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can tell the 700,000 people who DID NOT pay and WILL NOT pay the 100 euro household charge what they can expect in MountJoy so......;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Apparently the food is quite good but the cock tastes nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

hardCopy wrote: »
    Apparently the food is quite good but the cock tastes nasty

Other way around I heard ...

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

You'll end up getting bummed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Yeah what you do??

Most people get suspended sentences so you must have done something really bad to get an actual sentence.

So spill the beans! (It's the TV license isn't it?)

It is indeed.

But, there's a spin to the story: I shared a house with a bunch of weasels some time ago. Apparently one of them gave my name to the TV license inspector. I never got any summons, moved house twice since then and here I am, facing a prison sentence. Unbelievable. The Gard said "well, it's your name and you lived there at the time, so you're going to prison, son". He went on "You can go to the court and say you haven't gotten the summons, but you know, you will lose two days of work so it's better to pay the fine of €195" clearly intimmidating me into paying. What a travesty... Like I said, f**k 'em, they will have to drag me out from my place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

It is indeed.

But, there's a spin to the story: I shared a house with a bunch of weasels some time ago. Apparently one of them gave my name to the TV license inspector. I never got any summons, moved house twice since then and here I am, facing a prison sentence. Unbelievable. The Gard said "well, it's your name and you lived there at the time, so you're going to prison, son". He went on "You can go to the court and say you haven't gotten the summons, but you know, you will lose two days of work so it's better to pay the fine of €195" clearly intimmidating me into paying. What a travesty... Like I said, f**k 'em, they will have to drag me out from my place.

That sucks man, Does this carry a conviction or criminal record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It is indeed.

All of that sounds very believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Yeah what you do??

Most people get suspended sentences so you must have done something really bad to get an actual sentence.

So spill the beans! (It's the TV license isn't it?)

It is indeed.

So you haven't even been to court yet?

*puts popcorn away*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

It is indeed.

So you can pay a small fine and not go to prison...? :confused:

If a Guard told me it was 195 euro or prison, regardless of how it came up, I think I know which I'd choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

dr gonzo wrote: »
    So you can pay a small fine and not go to prison...? :confused:

If a Guard told me it was 195 euro or prison, regardless of how it came up, I think I know which I'd choose.

While this is a small amount, it's easier for some people to just do the time, a few hours in the joy and whatever your fine, it's wiped out when you do the "time".

• Advertisement

All of that sounds very believable.

AFAIK...you may be entitled to free legal aid and representation if your wages are below a certain level.

I would go to court and fight this,and also bring any documents or utility bills that will prove that you had moved to different addresses too.

Dont go down for something you didnt do.

Be stong and stand up to these fcukers that think they can jail us...when Seany Quinn,David Drum and Phil Hogan get to laugh at us all with their highy illegal carry on.

STAND UP AND FIGHT.

AFAIK...you may be entitled to free legal aid and representation if your wages are below a certain level.

I would go to court and fight this,and also bring any documents or utility bills that will prove that you had moved to different addresses too.
    A letter or contract from the landlords of the other houses that you stayed at,will also be very helpfull to you.

Dont go down for something you didnt do.

Be stong and stand up to these fcukers that think they can jail us...when Seany Quinn,David Drum and Phil Hogan get to laugh at us all with their highy illegal carry on.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

STAND UP AND FIGHT.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Talk to Joe
    Sounds like a story he would like
    '' you're going to prison for not paying a tv licence?, tell joe all about it''
    the cost of bringing him to prison will be a way more than the 195,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

That sucks man, Does this carry a conviction or criminal record?

Yes but I'm sure it'll only state the offence and the judgement, As far as I know it wont say he went to jail as the judgement was a fine, All fines come with a prison term if the fine isn't paid anyway.

2 Days, So I'd reckon a fine of €200>500 maybe.

Hey O.P. if you don't bring money with you they actually will give you €23 and a bus/rail ticket to get home, Unbelievable but true..

You should be brought to Reception where they will take your details, Then its stripping time and into a shower cubicle and into prison clothes then you should be taken to a cell or holding cell for as long as it takes them to get the release papers, You may not even end up changing clothes or showering either if they realise you are being released soon.

Was only there once for two weeks about 12 years ago and I'd imagine its worse now. Strangely I got no hassle of anyone inside and I'm from Munster !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I shared a house with a bunch of weasels some time ago. Apparently one of them gave my name to the TV license inspector. I never got any summons, moved house twice since then and here I am, facing a prison sentence. Unbelievable.

How can they prove you lived there at all?

How did the Guards track you down?

Shenanigans?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You'll be out within the hour.

This.

They won't have any room for you. You'll just sign in and be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have only read the first post, will read the rest now. But before I do I would say the OP stands a good chance of getting a turn around on a two day sentence.

However, if he does do the two days I would ask him to post his view about it being a holiday and the usual crap the media come out with. Why do we need a page in our papers telling us what the inmates are getting for their X-Mas dinner. Why do we need that info every year???????

I imagine the OP will find that his inital fears are unfounded, [though their is a lot of violence in MJ] and he may find himself suprised by how he is treated by the other inmates, and will have strong view about the state of MJnas a suitable place of detention. Will read the thread now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It is indeed.

Fight da powah.

If moar peeps stood up for what they believe in(including free speech on dis site) we'd be betta off.

Dey say stand back, we sai fite back! lolz

The Garda who visited me with an arrest warrant in his hand last night said that the whole thing will be conducted in a "very discreet manner" as long as I will show up in the local Garda Station when called in.

F**k 'em I say, I want the whole experience: a police vehicle with flashing lights in front of my house, handcuffs, maybe even a negotiator, neighbors watching me being dragged away, police sirens screaming trough the whole estate, crying kids... etc.

I cannot believe the state wastes its resources on a 'criminal' like me, especially in the current economical climate... I should've gone into estate developing business, I would enjoy a nice game of golf right now...

Lots doesn't add up here.
    You were summonsed without knowing, a court case took place without you, you were fined/sentenced in your absence. Fair enough, that happens.
    The guards tracked you down and informed you of the sentence, you are refusing to go to court and have been informed that you are to appear at a garda station in x days time whereupon you will be taken to Mountjoy to do your sentence.

You see this just can't happen that way - its not possible to begin a jail sentence without having been in front of the judge at some stage of the process. The judge/court have to be sure that you are of sound mind, responsible for your actions and have been notified of your right to a solicitor etc.

The process just can't happen the way you say.

Shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

if the story is true, pay the 195.

it'll be the most value for 195 you'll ever get.

you likely only see the holding cell (you and a number of others, awaiting processing, from a broad spectrum of offenders) for an hour or so, if even that. but still, aint worth it.

(re post above, i also feel something is amiss, but perhaps the full story is not being told. either way, if true, pay)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This is bull

I work as a solicitor.

They will throw it out if you show you did not receive summonsns

They will issue bench warrant not jail

Term is usually 10-14 days in default of court fine

Attention Seeking idiot.

Can't even make up a good story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Lots doesn't add up here.
    You were summonsed without knowing, a court case took place without you, you were fined/sentenced in your absence. Fair enough, that happens.
    The guards tracked you down and informed you off the sentence, you are refusing to go to court and have been informed that you are to appear at a garda station in x days time whereupon you will be taken to Mountjoy to do your sentence.

You see this just can't happen that way - its not possible to begin a jail sentence without having been in front of the judge at some stage of the process. The judge/court have to be sure that you are of sound mind, responsible for you actions and have been notified of your right to a solicitor etc.

The process just can't happen the way you say.

Shenanigans.

^^^^^
    Incorrect.
    A fine can be issued by the court in your absence with X number of days in default.
    You don't pay the fine - you go to jail. Simple. There's no need to go back in front of a Judge unless you're seeking an extension of time to appeal (In this case due to being unaware of the fine in the first place)
    On the other hand an appeal is a waste of time in this instance IMO.
    The Judge asks you did you live in this house - Yes. Did you have a TV Licence - No. Case over regardless of what excuse you may have.

BTW, the Guard wasn't trying to 'Intimidate' you into paying the fine. He was advising you to pay it. Otherwise he would have just taken you in there and then - they don't have to give you notice. Very decent of him IMO. He either gave you two weeks to pay when he realised that you knew nothing about it or the warrant expires shortly after that, in which case it has to be re-issued (It will be..)

2 days is only one night by the way!! 1 day has no night!!

My advice - Pay the fine. Is it really worth it to have your name on the Prison System (for evermore) for the sake of 200 quid?? Different if it was a huge fine or if you were already in the system but not if you have a clean slate.

EDIT:::

Very true but that's becoming rarer and a lot of Judges are putting a lot more onus on you to prove that you didn't receive it.
    If the guys in the house were such weasels they probably accepted it and said nothing!!! Proving that is the problem though :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 skin the goat

this happened to me, sent to mountjoy for unpaid fines, it was a default of 18 months so that was my sentence, I done 25 mins standing in a yard then got released with a cheque for 1 days 'grat' money. you gotta love the system.

^^^^^
    Incorrect.
    A fine can be issued by the court in your absence with X number of days in default.
    You don't pay the fine - you go to jail. Simple. There's no need to go back in front of a Judge unless you're seeking an extension of time to appeal (In this case due to being unaware of the fine in the first place)

The OP claims never having been in front of the judge in this case. Can you go straight to a jail sentence without ever appearing in the court? I really don't think so but if I'm wrong fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

OP the guards arrived with an arrest warrant but did not arrest you? Did they just call to say hello?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You'll love it, make some great friends, be richer for the experience and you won't want to leave :cool:.

Great attitude!
    Thanks for the replies, very reassuring indeed. Maybe I will survive...

The Garda who visited me with an arrest warrant in his hand last night said that the whole thing will be conducted in a "very discreet manner" as long as I will show up in the local Garda Station when called in.

F**k 'em I say, I want the whole experience: a police vehicle with flashing lights in front of my house, handcuffs, maybe even a negotiator, neighbors watching me being dragged away, police sirens screaming trough the whole estate, crying kids... etc.

I cannot believe the state wastes its resources on a 'criminal' like me, especially in the current economical climate... I should've gone into estate developing business, I would enjoy a nice game of golf right now...

I will represent you on the day and document how you are treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

this happened to me, sent to mountjoy for unpaid fines, it was a default of 18 months so that was my sentence, I done 25 mins standing in a yard then got released with a cheque for 1 days 'grat' money. you gotta love the system.

18 Months for fines???? Love to see that warrant. I'm a fair while in the game and longest I've ever seen is probably 90 days.
    The OP claims never having been in front of the judge in this case. Can you go straight to a jail sentence without ever appearing in the court? I really don't think so but if I'm wrong fair enough.

Yes, you can. Same as any summons - you can either never receive it or chose to ignore it but either way most 'small' cases like this can be dealt with in your absence. For a direct custodial sentence (unusual without a Bench Warrant first but not always necessary) they'll just turn up and take you away - for a fine sentence reminders/notification will be sent out first which is why it's so hard to appeal. A summons is issued, notification of fine and then a reminder are usually issued so saying that you never got any of those is often taken with a pinch of salt. The fact that the OP changed address twice might stand to him but there's never a guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Fight da powah.

If moar peeps stood up for what they believe in(including free speech on dis site) we'd be betta off.

Dey say stand back, we sai fite back! lolz

What language is you computer set to?

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    OP the guards arrived with an arrest warrant but did not arrest you? Did they just call to say hello?
    Something similar happened to me.

I got a phone call from Plod to let me know that I had been sentenced to 4 days for non-payment of a fine.

Just went into the station the next day and paid it. Simple.

Although, as I understand it, I now have a criminal record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

El Weirdo wrote: »

I got a phone call from Plod to let me know that I had been sentenced to 4 days for non-payment of a fine.

You had a court summons, didn't go is it? As it would have to be on the basis of the court verdict that you'd have the record.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    You had a court summons, didn't go is it? As it would have to be on the basis of the court verdict that you'd have the record.
    Yep. Summons was sent to my old address. Didn't know anything about it until about 6 months later when I got the phone call.

I was told by a probation officer that I was working with at the time that I'd have a record. Unless she was just taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

TV license is a scam. I have always paid my License/scam. I informed them that I was leaving the country and so would like to be taken off the list. I was told I could not be taken off the list. WTF?. I again explained that I was leaving the property and was told I had to pay. If I didn't pay, a summons would be sent to my property in my name, If the summons wasn't served, a bench warrant would be served. A local Gardai would call around to serve it "Shur no need to worry if you aren't there" says your man.It was like amateur night.

I ended up sending a registered letter to them stating my intent to leave the country and my "non compliance" was more to do with the fact I didn't need a license as I didn't have a TV in the state. Jokers, trying to bully me into paying yet another ridiculous tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The non-payment of a fine has nothing to do with the fact that you may have a record. You will have been found guilty of some minor offence by a court ( that's the conviction recorded ) and the penalty imposed was a fine or a couple of days of imprisonment if the fine wasn't paid when due.

Too bad they don't ship you of to Australia anymore for stealing a loaf of bread, would have saved a right few folks a few grand getting there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Yep. Summons was sent to my old address. Didn't know anything about it until about 6 months later when I got the phone call.

I was told by a probation officer that I was working with at the time that I'd have a record. Unless she was just taking the piss.
    I'd say its true. I know that if you apply for jobs or something that requires garda vetting, it requires a conviction, so even the above sounds like it'd count towards your record.

• Advertisement

You don't get a criminal record for non payment of fine.

TV license is a scam. I have always paid my License/scam. I informed them that I was leaving the country and so would like to be taken off the list. I was told I could not be taken off the list. WTF?. I again explained that I was leaving the property and was told I had to pay. If I didn't pay, a summons would be sent to my property in my name, If the summons wasn't served, a bench warrant would be served. A local Gardai would call around to serve it "Shur no need to worry if you aren't there" says your man.It was like amateur night.

I ended up sending a registered letter to them stating my intent to leave the country and my "non compliance" was more to do with the fact I didn't need a license as I didn't have a TV in the state. Jokers, trying to bully me into paying yet another ridiculous tax.

The country needs your money, pay up. Did you pay the Household charge yet? Tv lic is a joke here but I pay it, sorry I paid it the first time ever.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'd say its true. I know that if you apply for jobs or something that requires garda vetting, it requires a conviction, so even the above sounds like it'd count towards your record.

I've had a tonne of Gardai vetting done and each one shows my convictions, never stopped me getting the job, inc volunteer work where vulnerable people where involved.

Nearly all organizations are only concerned with violent/drug convictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

This is bull

I work as a solicitor.

They will issue bench warrant not jail

Term is usually 10-14 days in default of court fine

Attention Seeking idiot.

Can't even make up a good story

Is that you Mike Ross?

hondasam wrote: »
    . Did you pay the Household charge yet? .

Nope, I've drawn a line there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement