Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone down the toilet..

• 04-07-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, as the title explains, my iphone went down the toilet today by accident. I have insurance with Vodafone. Not sure if i should ring and tell the truth or say that i lost it. It wont turn on, i'll leave it until tomorrow to dry out and see what happens.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Make sure it's off, don't turn it on at all.

Put it in a ziplock bag of rice, in between some towels in the hot press for a day or two to dry it out.

Try it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Virgo2011

Thanks, i tried to turn it on earlier before i went online :( the light on the back is on and will not go off. Will try the ziplock bag...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have a careful read of your Vodafone insurance policy - I have claimed from O2 for a water damaged iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Virgo2011

It does cover water damage, but other websites say not accidental water damage.It would cover if the rain soaked through my pocket, but not me being stupid and dropping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

never mind what some websites say, have a look at your insurance policy and see what it says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Virgo2011 wrote: »
    It does cover water damage, but other websites say not accidental water damage.It would cover if the rain soaked through my pocket, but not me being stupid and dropping it.

Sure there is plenty of rain lately.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

guil wrote: »
    never mind what some websites say, have a look at your insurance policy and see what it says

Exactly , if it says accidental water damage then you can say you dropped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

If it was me, I would take the whole phone apart and give the main circuit board a bath in lacquer thinner, check each individual piece too see if there has been any damage to it. If there is, just replace the part. You can find most things you need on eBay. and you can get lacquer thinner in a hardware store.

everyone says put it in rice, but this doesn't always work and will still leave water in your phone, the above method is a professional clean.

kjl wrote: »
    If it was me, I would take the whole phone apart and give the main circuit board a bath in lacquer thinner, check each individual piece too see if there has been any damage to it. If there is, just replace the part. You can find most things you need on eBay. and you can get lacquer thinner in a hardware store.

everyone says put it in rice, but this doesn't always work and will still leave water in your phone, the above method is a professional clean.

And why would you bother your arse doing that if you've insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

I did the same thing a couple of years ago with the first generation iphone. i let it dry out for a week or so and it worked after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If you want to DIY it, Isopropanoyl and a toothbrush on the logic board, there is a high chance your battery died preventing further damage to the logic board.
    Just don't put your phone in the hot press to dry, its far too slow and there is too much moisture, within hours there will be corrosion on all the surface mount components, and connectors and even if it works you run the risk of the screen connector/battery connector/etc being totally corroded and could break off if you even need to open your phone.
    http://irepair-ie.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I often wondered what people are doing with a phone in their hand whilst in the loo.....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

really, i can't sit on the toilet without playing a game on my phone lol

Advertisement