Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad's bag for the hospital?

Options
  • 04-07-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

I know I should know this as we already have a child but what is supposed to be in the Dad's bag for the hospital?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Change of t shirt and most important is the camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Clean shirt, deodrant, camera & charger, phone charger, snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've only ever been to Hollis street in Dublin so I can only base on my experiences of the terrible facilities there

- lots and lots of parking change
    - cigarettes (if needed)
    - food (everything closes after hours, especially chocolate bars, granola bars that kind of thing)
    - drinks (nurses wouldnt even make me a cup of tea once baby was there, mummy only)
    - shaving gear (if you're that way inclined, I didnt bring any and looked like sh*te in the first pictures)
    - clean shirt
    - clean socks
    - clean underwear
    - camera

Think of it as a survival weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

All the above plus toothbrush & toothpaste & chewing gum

You don't want a stinky gob when doing the breathing excercises with your partner :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Everything Wexie said plus I also got mini toiletries - deoderant, face wipes, mouthwash etc.

a list of who to send pictures and texts to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I must be the worlds worst father, I just tuned up with stuff for the mrs and junior. The only preparation I made was a shed load of small change for parking meters. You lads sound like you moved in for the duration :confused:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bring a book and some head phones. They can get a bit lippy towards the end. ;)

Seriously though, I think most of it's been mentioned already. The one in Limerick was like a sauna.

Depends on how long she's going to be in. Not the first time I think you said, so just some basic toiletries and a change of shirt socks and jocks. Maybe some extra phone credit if you require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

+1 for the book. Can be a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

My partner only had a change t-shirt which didn't get to use even. All depends on how labor goes, if its not your first it might be very quick, my second was 2hrs in total.
    My first was in holles st and nurse made him cups of tea and toast, he's a charmer I must say ;) Second in Tralee and again he was getting tea, coffee, etc. afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

My husband didn't have anything with him, it wasn't even something we thought about the 1st time :confused:. We got into hospital at 10pm, baby was born at 5am, he went home again around 10am in the morning for a couple of hours sleep, shower, change and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

My husband had nothing :eek: Do the hospital allow you bring more than one bag in? Would you believe I can't remember :o I would suggest a sandwich, but to be honest, I think my hubby was glad to get out for a few minutes to go grab a bite to eat :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

All I brought was myself and the camera. I didn't realise I was supposed to bring a bag???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mine brought a laptop and 3G dongle and I had loads of change in the car for parking.
    I had 2 quick births and he was able to go home and nap and shower when I had settled in.
    He was given tea after baby was born but if it is Holles st on a bank holiday bring food as there is very little open nearby.

Advertisement